Good to be back

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JVChap

Good to be back

Post by JVChap » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:29 am

Feels good to be back! I somehow just stumbled upon this site, and have been desperately missing the old TTF.
I've dabbled a bit with TGR, but have trouble finding what I'm looking for...plus they can be pretty rowdy over there! Definitely some fun and spirited threads to read, not seen much Telelove though.

When last I'd been posting at the old site, I was describing my recent conversion to what I was calling : Freedom Fit Frankentele. That is to say I'm on Rottefella Freedom NTN coupled with a Dynafit heel, (boot: TX-Pro, ski: BD Justice 175)
I ski mostly BC and thought I would like the locked heel option for those occasional really sketchy/steep places...esp. since I was usually skiing with (often behind) young "kids" (early 30s) that were mostly on AT. My verdict: it works---but the plain truth is that I just can't stand being locked in (can't ski either :-). I feel like my feet are set in concrete blocks...and I'm immediately taken back to the day almost 30 yrs. ago atop Chute at MRG, where, having ripped out my toe piece (first gen. Terminators ate many bindings) I swapped back onto my alpine rig and discovered I couldn't ski anymore.

Now the plot thickens though: from the few days that I've been out so far, it seems I can no longer stand NTN Freedom either....it too is now feeling like concrete blocks and I feel like I can barely ski.

My next move is to go back to my 75mm and see if it brings me home...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Good to be back

Post by Johnny » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 am

Welcome back JVChap!

Frankenteles rock!

I totally share your point of view... One thing to keep in mind though... It feels like concrete because it really is. And the thing about concrete setups is that they are REALLY good at skiing concrete. But that's about it. There's nothing like NTN and Terminators if you wanna carve on concrete. But if you like soft snow, and if you like that magical feeling of dancing with gods, you won't regret going back to the real thing...

It's just a matter of have the right tools for the right job...
I can no longer stand NTN
My favorite quote so far...!

Have fun!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bogon

Post by bogon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 pm

What does the spring tension indicator say? Maybe (just maybe) You should loosen them some?..

(I refuse to even think that lateral control and edging power can feel bad)
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

GEO

Post by GEO » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Frankentele has been experimented with before....no worries on injury?
(Yes I know you never crash - nor do I, but....)

I am skiing NTNs on three different skis (S7, 4FRNT Cody, and Stockli Cross).
Definitely didn't chuck my 75mm gear. 2nd season on NTN, on 2 different versions of the Freeride.
Of course, I have to have the FreeDOMs now, too.... or...?

I like the extra plates vs another 400$ As usual I am eyeing light AT & Dynafit, and I am keeping an eye on the Tele Tech mix match people are talking about.

As the OP says - ain't nothin' like free heel skiing.

GEO

Post by GEO » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 pm

WoW - there is only one page on this virgin forum :mrgreen:
It's like PoW before it all get's cut up... !

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 am

WoW - there is only one page on this virgin forum
It's like PoW before it all get's cut up... !
Isn't that the best feeling...? 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

JVChap

Post by JVChap » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:51 am

Oh I do crash! No worries there...

On one of my "locked down" runs last year I took a bit of air off a log and experienced a double heel ejection after landing in the late season sun-cooked mush...but of course the toes stayed attached. That was interesting!

Generally speaking I keep it pretty dialed down when I'm in the woods...but I do love to light it up out in the steep tight bumps of Chute at MRG...there's just nothing like bumps that have been cut only with skis :-)

Maybe I will try a softer spring setting and see if anything changes...but I was really doing OK last year. I also like to ski my boots in walking mode for greater range of motion. (I caught some static from the list when I mentioned that last year...but I don't care :-)

I'm also interested in trying the Tele Tech system given I have a set of Dynafiddle toes...

My main issue right now however is an utter lack of snow and it is really starting to frag me up.

( perhaps it will allow me to find my wallet that I think is out there...but I would rather have snow...)