well I've gone and done it now...moving full time to a ski resort

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

Re: well I've gone and done it now...moving full time to a ski resort

Post by bauerb » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm

according to my Garmin, I live currently at 104ft of elevation. I agree that in the east, even a few hundred feet can make a difference. I often go running about 15 miles from here at an elevation of closer to 500ft. it can be raining here, but snowing there. I need to buy a pickup truck to haul lumber from a place where barn wood is not priced like a hipster commodity..eg Ohio, Indiana, etc. I'll start a new thread for "What kind of pickup truck should I buy for hauling heavy loads of lumber through mixed terrain"...lol

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

bauerb wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm
I'll start a new thread for "What kind of pickup truck should I buy for hauling heavy loads of lumber through mixed terrain"...lol
Not this one...
Overload.png

Definitely this one...
(I like that the aggregate of tail rotors surface is greater than the main rotor surface.)
Helicopter truck.png

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am

this was my last pickup truck. I sold it a year ago. the problem I have is that I fix up my trucks to a point where you no longer want to do work with them. this time around I need a work truck.

1978 Ford F150 Ranger
IMG_3080.jpg

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm

bauerb wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am
the problem I have is that I fix up my trucks to a point where you no longer want to do work with them.
It's only a problem if it's not self-sustaining. Even if not, then if you enjoy the restoration process, I guess the resources are still well-invested.

bauerb wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am
1978 Ford F150 Ranger
That truck looks great. I don't even keep my underwear that clean.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat May 22, 2021 1:29 pm

first trail run in my new backyard. its not the biggest mountain, but if you run up/down twice you get 1500ft of vert in 5 miles on nice jeep trails.
Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 1.26.18 PM.png

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sat May 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Sounds like a great choice, and one I've been thinking of, but in Japan. I retire in a decade, or so, but have completely missed the boat on Toronto real estate. Original plan was to retire to Tokyo (wife's Japanese, I speak it passably) which I love, but spend summers in Ontario, because Tokyo's summers are unspeakable. It's turned out that having a summer/winter place up a Japanese mountain will cost a fraction of a summer cottage here, nevermind there's no decent skiing for 500km from Toronto. Both have universal healthcare, more or less.

Every 1000m in Japan is about a month cooler than sea level. So at 1500m it's like Toronto's August, while Tokyo's the ninth circle of hell. The main ski towns are already full of Aussies, not that I mind. Much better deals a bit off the beaten path, of course: like $150-200K USD for a house in good nick. And I get to skip the 13hr flights.

My only problem with retiring there is nobody can make a decent breakfast in the entirety of East Asia.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun May 23, 2021 3:38 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:39 pm
...nobody can make a decent breakfast in the entirety of East Asia.
Western-style breakfast is truly a beautiful thing. I had the same longing my year in Korea. Finally found a Costco a couple cities away and LOADED UP with bacon. Found some ESL friends, and we got together every Saturday morning to enjoy pancakes, fried eggs, biscuits, etc., etc.... and of course, salty cured bacon!

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sun May 23, 2021 5:01 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:38 pm
エイダン.シダル wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:39 pm
...nobody can make a decent breakfast in the entirety of East Asia.
Western-style breakfast is truly a beautiful thing. I had the same longing my year in Korea. Finally found a Costco a couple cities away and LOADED UP with bacon. Found some ESL friends, and we got together every Saturday morning to enjoy pancakes, fried eggs, biscuits, etc., etc.... and of course, salty cured bacon!
Brilliant. I've always taken over my own maple syrup, because you can get it there, but at quadruple the price. Alas, Japan's got a ban on blood products in food, so there's no good way to have black-pudding. Hard enough to find HP sauce, and decent bacon. Real cheese is a bloody fortune... At least some bakeries finally learned to make decent French bread, but every bread is white flour: get a bread maker.