Repair advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Repair advice

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 am

If it were a wider ski id file it into a square to make a rear skin clip attachment point...

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 am

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:52 pm
Personally, I too would just leave it alone.

Epoxy. I have used quite a bit of it to "repair" plastics (i'm a whitewater canoe guy), including JBWeld and GFlex. Epoxy it great stuff but its not structural, it wont hold up as well as the plastic bit would already lost. One needs to add a structural comporent such as fiber glass to make it tough.

So yeah, makes a true epoxy repair/replacement a little more complicated.

Like many have said, I'd just leave it alone.

Enjoy!
Salut man of la mancha!
I had very good success with this method on 2 skis: one similar (but not as drastic) repair on the tip of my K2 Sahale and one (more easy) on the side of my Glitt. Both time using G/Flex. Many years of good service. It is also a matter of prep... Of course, on roto polyethylene, West claims that his stuff works; but that's another story... It usually involves heat... There are some demos from the brand that seem convincing. You are right about using some carbon or fiberglass mat to make it stronger. I forget to say: I used G/Flex and carbon mat on a grinder handle that snapped when It got caught in a plastic sheet (I almost killed myself). Now, I can hammer the thing; solid as rock... DISCLAIMER: do not eat epoxy; it looks delicious (like some sort of honey) but it is not good for you...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:13 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:52 pm
One needs to add a structural comporent such as fiber glass to make it tough.
Good point... hardness vs toughness.

Laying up fiber is a royal pain IMHO... probably even more so on such a small piece. However, if we're in for a penny let's be in for a pound, no reason not to custom forge some titanium tail pieces while we're at it! (cost engineering, anyone?)

Either way (no fix, epoxy doubler, PFM fix, titanium renewal) ... again, should make for a good conversation piece. And what's more important in life than a good story?