Leather boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Leather boots

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:27 pm

anybody have experience with the lighter boots on the wide shaped boards?
Yep, the XCD Police is very strict: Nothing wider than 109mm at the tip is allowed.

Seriously, above 110mm, you start losing something with leathers... They become hard to control and you're losing a bit of the fun. (I use the word leathers for any light non-plastic boots... I really should start saying light boots instead, it's more vegan-friendly... No Johnny, people will think you talk about T4s and Excursions...)

My boots could maybe fit your feet, as they feel like a 11.5 to me... I'll post them in the TeleTurnaround section soon...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:22 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:
anybody have experience with the lighter boots on the wide shaped boards?
Yep, the XCD Police is very strict: Nothing wider than 109mm at the tip is allowed.

Seriously, above 110mm, you start losing something with leathers... They become hard to control and you're losing a bit of the fun. (I use the word leathers for any light non-plastic boots... I really should start saying light boots instead, it's more vegan-friendly... No Johnny, people will think you talk about T4s and Excursions...)

My boots could maybe fit your feet, as they feel like a 11.5 to me... I'll post them in the TeleTurnaround section soon...
There's a persistent and widely-held belief that leathers cannot control skis greater than 70mm in the centers..No one, at least 'till now, has pontificated on the tip or tail width ..The Xterrians (too short IMHO) in my quiver are very shaped.. like 110 in tip and 68 centers..I think a good stout leather would be fine with them in most conditions..
BTW, LJ, what of "leathers" and plastics that basically share the same sole characteristics ??
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Yeah well, it depends on the skis... I can ski stuff with 80-90mm at the waist with my XC shoes... It's the overall surface that has an impact on the force you get back... That puts a lot of lateral stress on the duckbill itself, especially when you don't use cables... My duckbills twist like crazy when I use fatter skis...

If they would make duckbills in titanium instead of using rubber, it would improve control of cable-less bindings a lot...!!!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Yea..that's it.. a metal layer on the duckbill that could be welded to the binding! :o
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Teleman wrote:816 is expecting his shipment soon.....He can help us all....Andrew Shoes were spot on...but their offerings have become more limited....Wish we could go directly to the manufactures....like the Italians who make them....TM
hoping to do an Italy trip in 2015! I would check out the Crispi Antarctic, they must be made by the guys in Montebelluna, very nice boots, probably a little softer & less support than Asolo Extremes though, more like Snowfield. very high quality, I would order them from Europe if necessary
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)