Voile Objective BC - I think I .......

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Voile Objective BC - I think I .......

Post by Stephen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:39 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am
Those are frustrating conditions because it looks good but it isn't.
That’s about it — so much beautiful looking untracked snow and so little ability to ski it!

Thanks for all the moral support and thoughts!
My fragile ego feels a little better.

For me, I don’t like problems without solutions.
@jyw5’s idea about running skins downhill, while not ideal, might at least be a better-than-before sort of solution.
I bet skins would add some tracking to the ski.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Stephen, when you know you're beat you can always traverse across the slope until you come to a stop and do a kick turn and head back the other way to get down the slope.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:15 pm
...that kind of crappy grabby snow.
As a child; I remember my German, geriatric, ski instructor, ski buddy, named Hans, used to call these snow snakes:
  • "Snow snakes come out in the warm weather to bask in the sun, and if you're not careful they'll come out and BITE you!!" :lol:

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Stephen, when you know you're beat you can always traverse across the slope until you come to a stop and do a kick turn and head back the other way to get down the slope.
No, that’s the thing. Like I said, I could barely ski a straight traverse on VERY gentle terrain without great difficulty.
I’ve never experienced anything like it in years of skiing.
Just that combination of snow texture, skis, bindings, and boots.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:17 pm

I just got back. It was full on hard packed snow on the narrow trail, and breakable crust off trail and hard sustrugi variable crust at the top. Steep descent to the treeline, then tree skiing offtrail to almost the bottom. And the light was flat. didnt take any photos today.

172mm FT62 with 60mm Pomoca mohair race pro 2 skins from tip to tail, NNN BC, Alfa Quest Core boots.

I had to hike/scramble about 1/2 mile out of the 5.33 miles. Kept the skins on the whole time. notice the zigzagging -- thats the kick turns on the descent. I frequently use skins when skiing down free heel. conditions in Alaska are challenging 90%+ of the time.

I'm not sure if any other ski would have done any better today. A short Skog or Nansen or Ingstad perhaps... hard to say. Don't think using the Alfa Guard boots would have made any difference either. Honestly, the conditions were so tough that I think an AT setup wouldnt have been much better either.
Screenshot_20210411-180646_Strava.jpg
Screenshot_20210411-180723_Strava.jpg

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:59 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm
No, that’s the thing. Like I said, I could barely ski a straight traverse on VERY gentle terrain without great difficulty.
I’ve never experienced anything like it in years of skiing.
Just that combination of snow texture, skis, bindings, and boots.
The point of my post above is to show you that skins are underutilized by alot of skiiers on the down...as they are generally introduced to skiiers as a tool for uphill travel. Also, p-turns and tele doesnt always work. There are other turns that must be used...kick, step, open, jump...I made every turn today except the tele turn.