Switchback X2 with Dynastar Legend 96 -- OK? Or not OK?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Switchback X2 with Dynastar Legend 96 -- OK? Or not OK?

Post by rongon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Querying the telemark hive mind...

For the last five seasons or so, I've been skiing a pair of 2014 Dynastar Cham 97 High Mountain skis with Axl bindings on them. That combination has been working very well for me. No real issues except that I think I chose too short a length of those skis, 172 cm. So I pounced when I found a pair of Dynastar Legend 96 skis in 177 cm going for very cheap. (The Legend 96 is basically the Cham 97 with tweaks to the shape.)

I have a pair of Voile Switchback X2 waiting in the wings. The question I have is, will I be putting too much stress on that binding with a 7+ lb/pair ski like the Legend 96? Or do I really need a beefier/heavier binding like the Axl on there?

My boots are Crispi CXP. I also have a pair of Crispi XP waiting in the wings for when the CXPs finally wear out (they're getting there, just not quite there yet).

Go with the X2s? Yea or nay?
--

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Switchback X2 with Dynastar Legend 96 -- OK? Or not OK?

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. I drove around a pair of 185cm Armada JJ's (at 116 underfoot and 9.5+ pounds) for a year on T2 Eco's and Hammerheads, then Axls. I know you can do it, but part of the problem is that, when you're used to something like the Axl, going to a binding that may have less control or is significantly less active it's a noticeable step back.

If you're currently running the Axl on its most neutral setting, it may be fine. If you're running it on position 2, it might take a bit to get used to the X2. If that's the case, just give it a while for you to get used to the difference. Initially, you may not like it at all.

It also depends on how hard you drive the skis and how concerned you are with durability. If you're backcountry a lot driving hard, I'd stick with the Axls for their robust reliability and the 6 screw Vs. 4 screw attachment.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm

rongon wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:45 pm

For the last five seasons or so, I've been skiing a pair of 2014 Dynastar Cham 97 High Mountain skis with Axl bindings on them. That combination has been working very well for me. No real issues except that I think I chose too short a length of those skis, 172 cm. So I pounced when I found a pair of Dynastar Legend 96 skis in 177 cm going for very cheap. (The Legend 96 is basically the Cham 97 with tweaks to the shape.)

I have a pair of Voile Switchback X2 waiting in the wings. The question I have is, will I be putting too much stress on that binding with a 7+ lb/pair ski like the Legend 96? Or do I really need a beefier/heavier binding like the Axl on there?

My boots are Crispi CXP. I also have a pair of Crispi XP waiting in the wings for when the CXPs finally wear out (they're getting there, just not quite there yet).

--
The binding can take it, do not worry. And with those boots, you will be fine. But it is not a question we can answer objectively, factually... It all depends on you buddy! Give it a try! You'll be set...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 am

Agree with both posts above. The binding is fine, but will you like it after coming off the Axls? I find the X2 is somewhere between Axl/Vice position 1 and 2. It doesn't mean you can't adjust, btw. Just something to keep in mind. I keep my X2's now on my touring skis and I seem to do fine. It's a great binding.

faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:32 am

rongon wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:45 pm

--
Agree with both posts above. The binding is fine, but will you like it after coming off the Axls? I find the X2 is somewhere between Axl/Vice position 1 and 2. It doesn't mean you can't adjust, btw. Just something to keep in mind.

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Post by rongon » Sat May 07, 2022 7:36 pm

Sorry I missed your reply.

So... I went with the Switchback X2 bindings on the Legend 96 skis. I think they ski fine. I like the lightness, and I actually don't like the super-active feel that's all the rage these days. But that has a lot to do with my own physical limitations. I feel more comfortable with a somewhat loosey-goosey setup.