S-Bound 112s falling apart

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MichiganNathaniel
Ski style: Backcounty tours with easy telemarking
Favorite Skis: Madshus Glittertind, Alpina Discovery 102
Favorite boots: Garmont Excursion, Asolo Extreme

S-Bound 112s falling apart

Post by MichiganNathaniel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 am

Had them for several years, and think I'm very happy with them (haven't really compared with anything else)...but now the patterned part of the base is delaminating and pulling off (It is a separate piece, made from a different material than the sintered base.) Is this replaceable? Can I glue the original section back? (What kind of glue would work?) Also, the protective plastic layer on the top is delaminating--that doesn't seem to affect functionality much; not sure what it does to start with other than add weight. I've just been cutting it off piece by piece as parts of it pull away.

If it comes to it, what should I replace these skis with?

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: S-Bound 112s falling apart

Post by riel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 am

MichiganNathaniel wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 am
Had them for several years, and think I'm very happy with them (haven't really compared with anything else)...but now the patterned part of the base is delaminating and pulling off (It is a separate piece, made from a different material than the sintered base.) Is this replaceable? Can I glue the original section back? (What kind of glue would work?) Also, the protective plastic layer on the top is delaminating--that doesn't seem to affect functionality much; not sure what it does to start with other than add weight. I've just been cutting it off piece by piece as parts of it pull away.

If it comes to it, what should I replace these skis with?
For a glue, I would use some sort of flexible curing (since the skis flex) marine epoxy.

As for replacing the skis, it depends on what you want.

Do you want skis that float better in deep, fresh snow?

Do you want skis that glide faster, but still have some reasonable float?

Do you want skis that just go faster, without a lot of need for float in deep, fresh snow?

Do you want skis you can turn well in all conditions with light boots?

There are skis for whatever you want.

If you have other skis too, you may want to pick something that has not too much overlap with the rest of your quiver, so each ski has its own function :)