Skinny ski for hardpack

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Skinny ski for hardpack

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:27 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: Nice signature Mike! I was just about to updates the quotes up there... (I got some REALLY nice new ones!)
Is there a way I can verify yours?
Thanks. I love it too :)... but that's just because I act and talk like an asshole ;)

Apparently it's from a book called New England Skiing by E. John B. Allen, Page 75.

The real text goes:
One erring student executed a perfect Norwegian telemark turn. "Don't ever let me see you make that turn again," admonished Otto, "dot* is a lady's turn."
*dot here being a poor attempt at capturing his German accent in pronouncing 'that'.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:17 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:GFWP, are those double camber skis?

Ron, you mean like my old P9's?!?
The thing is that old skis are like 4 times heavier than what we ski today for XCD... And the thing with Lite Terrains is they don't do a waxable version...
DSC_7230.JPG
There is no such ski Mike... Only in my dreams... Who would buy this in 2014 except us, Eastern XCD clowns? But hey, please, keep looking, keep asking. You're pretty good at solving things... And I really want a pair of those skis, if they exist!

My main XCD resort skis for leathers are Tua Nitrogens. Not so light, but lighter than any most alpine ski.
LJ, what you can do with any "waxless" is have it stone ground to the point that it indeed IS effectively no longer waxless..I don't see the old skis as being "that" heavy once the 10lbs of alpine bindings are removed.. :lol:
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

gfwp

Post by gfwp » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:28 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Ahahahahahah! There's a lot of conditions where I absolutely do not ski too:
Icefukket, Krudfukket, Toristsfukket, Hipztersfukket, BlahkDymonfukket, Veekenzfukket, MhinusTenfukket...
Sorry to surprise you, but I'm italian mother tongue, thus I'm totally missing your humor

The powerlight are produced for Norwegian market, I guess, and are somehow similar to other models like Fischer Steellight which are waxless, AFAIK. But the beauty of 2k millennium is to be able to put your order on the so called "world wide web" :D. I've put a link to oslosportslager since they ship to everywhere.

Regards

Giorgio

telemarketer

Post by telemarketer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:35 am

Not totally understanding what you are looking for, but when I taught myself to tele on ice back in Pennsylvania, I rode on Volkl M-Rocks. Theyre more a midfat but awesome grip on ice. (Most Volkls are great on the ice.) Maybe slightly heavier but heavy and stable is good if you're on icy groomers. I think a good active binding will help buold your confidence too like a hammerhead or g3 enzo. Traditional camber is they way to go on hard snow!

telemarketer

Post by telemarketer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:40 am

I just put my real dowhill rig on my back and strap on some snowshoes. No compromises there.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:45 pm

telemarketer wrote:Not totally understanding what you are looking for, but when I taught myself to tele on ice back in Pennsylvania, I rode on Volkl M-Rocks. Theyre more a midfat but awesome grip on ice. (Most Volkls are great on the ice.) Maybe slightly heavier but heavy and stable is good if you're on icy groomers. I think a good active binding will help buold your confidence too like a hammerhead or g3 enzo. Traditional camber is they way to go on hard snow!
Well I think I'm a bit different than your average telemarker. I don't want to ski at resorts. I just happen to think I might do it because I can get more practice and ski when there isn't natural snow.

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't want to ski on anything but pins and leathers. That is what I will ski when I am skiing for 'real' in the woods, albeit the conditions will vary, and almost never hardpacked and icy, but I have to piss with the dick I'm given.

I don't agree with the philosophy of learning to ski on heavy telemark gear and backing down to light xc gear. That makes no sense to me because as far as I can tell the technique is really different. I'm pretty sure I could ski how I want to ski in low top shoes - it's not easy, but I have no interest in the other... I'm not going to wear big heavy plastic boots for touring or use active bindings.

Yeah I'm crazy, yeah I'm a Luddite, but Alpine skiing isn't fun for me anymore, so I'm going to do it my way this time.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:40 am

I have to piss with the dick I'm given.
Oh, a highly philosophical man..!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:21 am

LoveJohnny wrote: