‘Adventure’ xc racing events

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
chris_the_wrench

‘Adventure’ xc racing events

Post by chris_the_wrench » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Howdy all

Recently got back into the xc scene(last year) and Ive been having a blast exploring my neck of the woods(NW Montana). I really enjoy long days of banging around off trail through the hills. Ive known about the iditarod trail invite for years and closely follow it. Is there any similar events down here in the lower 48, that are shorter? Not looking for the spandex 40k race scene(which I appreciate), more the ‘adventurey’ type. I know of a couple fat bike races like im thinking but i dont think santa is bringing me a fat bike this year.

Thanks
Chris

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: ‘Adventure’ xc racing events

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:58 pm

Hey Chris. If not familiar, check out cyclo-cross. It's like spandex road biking, but with a bit more mud & dirt.

chris_the_wrench

Post by chris_the_wrench » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:23 pm

Oh man, I’m looking for ski races. Ive done a lifetime worth of bike racing(road/mtb/track and cross).

-Chris

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:30 pm

Totally misunderstood, my bad. Good luck with your search.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 am

Chris, you could try searching https://bikepacking.com/events/category ... ing-races/ for fatbike races - a lot of these will also have ski and foot categories, I know the Arrowhead 135 and Tuscobia Winter Ultra do. Typically they will all follow the same course but set off at different times. Most will be a similar (but shorter) version to the Iditarod (some also serve as qualification rides!) with some checkpoints/emergency support along the way but with an emphasis on being self supported.

Hope that helps!
Cheers Leo

chris_the_wrench

Post by chris_the_wrench » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:59 pm

@Leo Tasker I used your idea of searching out fatbike races with a ski option and I found this one:

http://www.thedrift100.com/

Perfect time of year and not too far from me!!

Now the question of what type of ski/binding for something like this? Is my nnn bc enough? Im horrible at descending on my current skis.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:26 am

Get Super Rotta Telemark bindings...You will never understand what they do until you do....TM

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:49 am

chris_the_wrench wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:59 pm
Now the question of what type of ski/binding for something like this? Is my nnn bc enough? Im horrible at descending on my current skis.
Not sure about that event in particular, but you could download the gpx file and have a look at the course profile in something like ridewithgps.com. That might inform your ski choice but I wouldn't imagine you will be on super technical terrain. Over the longer distances I think efficient kick & glide and boot comfort will beat downhill/turning ability anyway. I definitely wouldn't want to do the 100 miler in heavy Telemark gear! If you end up pulling a sled you can easily carry a second set of skis and switch out as necessary.

Rainbow83
Ski style: XC racer learning Tele and exploring XCD
Favorite Skis: Current XCD/Tele Quiver includes: USGI Asnes MT65, Fischer Voodoo, K2 Super Stinx
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme

Post by Rainbow83 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:54 pm

Maybe consider checking out the Canadian Ski Marathon? It's kinda far away in Quebec, but it's a whole weekend experience that I recommend every XC skier try at least once. It is a groomed event, but it's not a race, just a big tour. You can do up to 50 miles on day 1 and 50 miles on day 2 through woods, fields, logging roads, and even over a lake. They split it up into 5 sections each day and have aid stations with loads of hot food and drinks between each section. There's like, thousands of people who do it, from hardcore racers to novice skiers. It's a real good time.

RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Post by RabbitEars » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:47 am

Registration just opened for Jay P’s Fat Pursuit. It’s a fat bike event in Island Park Idaho. they also have a ski category. I just signed up for the 60k. Would be cool to meet up with anyone from this forum that might be at that event.

https://www.fatpursuit.com/?m=1