Happy New Year

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Johnny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:29 am

Pick a ski shorter than its table recommendation (about 2 measure shorter)
It's exactly what I did with the Glittertinds. And I regret it a lot. I was scared of long skis, because I spend most of my time in really tight trees. I followed SB advice and picked a shorter size. I REALLY should have picked 205s instead of 190s...

Yep weight is one thing. But I think height is as most important. At 6'1, I really need long skis, even if I weight only 160lbs. I really need 180cm+ on piste and at least 200cm+ on XC... Whatever I ski below that, I naturally feel the need for a few more centimeters...
they should have stopped making new music after 1969
Actually, I set the turning point of popular music history in 1989. The year after, C+C Music Factory came out and set the pop music standard to ultra-mediocre. That was the beginning of mainstream mediocrity. (Ok, there was also Led Zeppelin and Disco...)
Why were we wearing pink ski gear?
I still wear pink all year round... What's wrong with it? It's my favorite color!! 8-)

Hey, where did the pictures of that handsome guy go?!? Drunk posts? ; )
(The same thing that happened to your Anti-Ron thread?)

Let me try the Super Comps skis a few times... If they are too cambered for me, you can have them for 50$...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:42 am

LoveJohnny wrote:
Hey, where did the pictures of that handsome guy go?!? Drunk posts? ; )
(The same thing that happened to your Anti-Ron thread?)

Let me try the Super Comps skis a few times... If they are too cambered for me, you can have them for 50$...
Haha... I wasn't drunk but I figured the value added was minimal. Same with the Ron hate thread. I was really ticked off with Ron - but my conscience got the best of me and I decided it wasn't the right approach.

Although I still find this picture quite funny:

That is my other gay brother from another mother (I have one from the same mother).

I don't know about the height thing. I've often heard that but it makes less sense to me. Possibly it has something to do with fore-aft stability and your center of mass? I thought those charts were simply suggestions based on some body mass index. Unfortunately that stuff is BS. I'm still on the upper end of the those for my height when my ribs are showing.

As far as the skis - yes - see how they work for you. If you still hate them after this season, I'd be willing to give them a try.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Oh geeze "Mike", now that you and FHW are BOTH (as I predicted not long ago --trivial to do so ) back "in" , you've no time for hating others, least of all me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now run along and you and FHW be the good boys you are expected to be!! :roll: :roll:
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Oh... I forgot to post the data supporting the 1969 thing. Please note the steady decrease into 1970...

Last edited by MikeK on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Raventele wrote:Oh geeze "Mike", now that you and FHW are BOTH (as I predicted not long ago --trivial to do so ) back "in" , you've no time for hating others, least of all me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now run along and you and FHW be the good boys you are expected to be!! :roll: :roll:
Why are you putting my name in quotes? Do you doubt I am who I say I am?

I'm thinking I'm going to steer clear of that place now. You really aren't missing much Ron... well you know, you read it and still comment albeit from this forum :roll:

I have trouble staying away from those bicycle in the wilderness threads... they are like Mike bait. It's something I have strong feelings about.

And well no one really wants to hear comments from flailing xc skier.

And Ron despite what you may think, I don't hate you... I'm more or less annoyed sometimes with your hate and banter, but I can easily ignore it. I do truly hate freeheelwilly/Noah John though and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm an open book - if you have a question, I'll shoot you strait.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:01 pm

You should seek counselling for this hate problem you have, Mike..
It can lead to no good! :D
It's a forum killer!! :lol:
There's no room for hate in skiing!!!
Ahh, there's bait and banter in the air , it's stewin' and brewin' !!
I give it a week! Maybe 2!
Meanwhile we need to discuss things meaningful re skiing over HERE..
Like how to find the sweet spot on the skis so I don't land on my nose (too forward)
or on my ass ( too back) but just skim right over that 16 inches of heavy unsettled glop next time!
Keep the damned tips up and do not turn much at all !! :o :o

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:19 am

I figured the value added was minimal.
Pictures always add value, not matter if it's relevant or not... Plus, they're fun!
Speaking of relevance, here's one of me when I was a little bit younger...

Man, what happened in 1965?!? Ahahahahah! This ad is just GREAT!!! Have you tried any of those 65amps yet? Are they really good? I miss bullet bras a lot...
bill-1-2-650.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:38 am

Free the heel free the...er...Longer is better up to a point...skis that is....especially in the forest....Skinnies in the bush will come around but it might not be in an instant....Gotta head them down (good conditions), subtle angulation......and let them ride....Telewheels told me once..."But your not turning"....Right it's called an Arc....long head them down arcs....Arcs and turns are different especially on long skinnies with camber....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:52 am

LoveJohnny wrote: Man, what happened in 1965?!? Ahahahahah! This ad is just GREAT!!! Have you tried any of those 65amps yet? Are they really good? I miss bullet bras a lot...
bill-1-2-650.jpg
I kind of missed what was happening in that picture at first... is there a black diamond ski in the foreground?

I've not played any 65's but I've listened to a lot of their videos and have liked them quite a bit. Other than voltage scaling which they call master voltage, there is nothing too innovative about them. Mostly classic designs with slight modifications. For instance the London amp is a 18 watt Marshall and an AC15 Vox combined into one amp more or less.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:36 am

Teleman wrote:Free the heel free the...er...Longer is better up to a point...skis that is....especially in the forest....Skinnies in the bush will come around but it might not be in an instant....Gotta head them down (good conditions), subtle angulation......and let them ride....Telewheels told me once..."But your not turning"....Right it's called an Arc....long head them down arcs....Arcs and turns are different especially on long skinnies with camber....TM
That's interesting .. the worse the snow gets, the more resistant, the more crust, the more unsettled, the LESS and more subtle the turning!
Yesterday started out with smooth heavier pow, but by 11 it was just 16 inches and more of unsettled glop..Tele or Alpine or bording, the only way through was to stay in the fall line and wiggle down..go for it..too far back and you were on your a$$, too far forward and you kissed the snow..No option to really turn quickly and scrub speed..The only speed control was in pushin against the glop! Ya gotta ride it cowboy..Almost like water skiing! :shock:
Nice vid Cima.. Your style was the best option for us yesterday..the only real option in a lot of places off the groomers..
Sunday was some pow like in your vid.. Fast warmups with heavy snows are killers!!
I was thinking Tele might have some advantage in that glop cuz you keep shuffling a tiny bit, moving the skis upwards ? :? :? There's a sweet spot where skiing crap is fun! But it's sure not about any "real" turning..