How Do I Turn?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: How Do I Turn?

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Krummholz wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:40 pm
Nick BC wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:02 pm

Best tele tip I ever received was from Dickie Hall at a Mount Baker ski camp in the distant past. “Step the rear foot back” at the start of the turn rather then lunging forward. Gets the weight on the back foot which is key to a powerful turn.
I’m adding this as tip 124 to the back of Allen & Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips, Revised and Even Better!: 123 Amazing Tips To Improve Your Tele-Skiing. It’s the “How to keep your Volkswagen Alive” manual for Telemark.
Yeah, "enough" weight on the back and "enough" edging on the back are important. I'd add that, with new gear, particularly NTN with its quick ramp up in resistance to dropping a knee, it's also important to press the shin of the rear leg against the tongue of the rear boot. This requires a bit of "lunging forward" to accomplish. But there are three ways to get "the spread". Shift a foot back, shift a foot forward, or drop such that both happen together. They all have their place. They are just tools in the tool box.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:04 pm

Shins to the boots, even when the boots are Alaska

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:55 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:04 pm
Shins to the boots, even when the boots are Alaska
True, regardless of how you get there.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:52 pm

fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:04 pm
Shins to the boots...
...and, point the skis down the hill

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:37 am

Ira wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 am
(and my foot Dr. said I'm only allowed to ski if I don't fall, which, combined with the terrain near me being Forest Service roads too narrow for beginner Telemark turns, makes learning Telemark challenging).
Hi Ira,

you are very busy to get the right tele - equipment. But I am disturbed by the above sentence. I ski since 50+ years, and never have I been falling more than since I practice the Teleturn. I don't care since I have been traing how to fall in various settings long time before in my life. But if your doctor is against skiing if you fall, you should definitely in the first place consider Alpine Touring with light wight gear and bindings that release when you fall. Seriously, for the purpose you discribed in various threads now, snow ploughing down the frozen forest road etc. loose heels wont give you any benefit whereas a fixed heel does of course help alot.

But before giving you further recommendations I would like to know WHY your doctor wants you to avoid falling?

Cheers

Lighturn

Ira

Post by Ira » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:24 pm

HI Lighturn, thank you for the concern. I should have clarified -- I only responded in this thread to post the Telemark Movie link (but can't speak to whether the lessons in the movie are helpful, since, for the reasons shared above, I am holding off on actually physically attempting Tele turns until the Dr.'s advice regarding falling changes).

The reason for the Dr.'s advice is Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction, and also I did recently buy some 3-pin bindings with removeable cables (though I won't be tele-turning anytime soon). I responded in more detail in the Fischer 98 vs Asnes Ingstad thread that I had started (since my detailed answer would be off-topic in this "how do I turn" thread)
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... ead#unread

Thanks!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm

FWIW I skied five years without falling with T4s and a wide alpine ski. I do t turns and p turns and ski challenging terrain but I know how to ski. If I spend a day on light gear and want to ski aggressively there is a good chance I’ll fall or have a close call.

Last season a friend wha was an occasional xc skier got some T4s and voile vectors. We skied together and he did p turns which he wasn’t too good at. After a couple days in the bc and one at the resort he did not fall once. On his previous light gear he could barely take a run without falling.

The moral of the story is that heavier gear will be much more stable and enable you to maintain control and fall a lot less. With light gear you are more at the mercy of the conditions. Learning t turns will still be hard but you will fall less and can rely on p turns when it gets sketchy.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:25 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm
FWIW I skied five years without falling with T4s and a wide alpine ski. I do t turns and p turns and ski challenging terrain but I know how to ski. If I spend a day on light gear and want to ski aggressively there is a good chance I’ll fall or have a close call.

Last season a friend wha was an occasional xc skier got some T4s and voile vectors. We skied together and he did p turns which he wasn’t too good at. After a couple days in the bc and one at the resort he did not fall once. On his previous light gear he could barely take a run without falling.

The moral of the story is that heavier gear will be much more stable and enable you to maintain control and fall a lot less. With light gear you are more at the mercy of the conditions. Learning t turns will still be hard but you will fall less and can rely on p turns when it gets sketchy.
So, @Ira’s SB112 + Scarpa T4s MIGHT be a good option for him.
Wider ski, solid boot, more: ankle support, stable, controllable.
But, I’m standing by my previous post: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =40#p43966

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:23 pm

don't spread too wide... :lol:
Screenshot_20211208-181333_Facebook.jpg

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:24 am

that pic makes my groin, hamstrings, and brain hurt. but thanks for sharing, I didnt' think it was possible to turn skis without heels locked down.