Ingstad vs Nansen vs Gamme; descending single track

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Ingstad vs Nansen vs Gamme; descending single track

Post by The GCW » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Ingstad vs Nansen vs Gamme; descending single track.
I skied Gamme last season. Efficient ski. Some claim not best for new waxer’s and I understand that consideration; in hindsight, I relate, yet helped elevate learning curve.

I’m considering another Asnes (You know the progression) and include Gamme for reference…

So the new post. I believe when I get in descending single track, think mountain bike & similar type trails, Gamme is challenging where I think Nansen would excel and maybe Ingstad too. (-narrow trails with twisty stuff going downhill; steepness that an average good cyclist will ascend, honest but not ridiculous).

Different from forest 4X4 roads which are wide…

I’ve scoured this amazing resource and have some idea of what benefits and negatives are regarding those skies in all sorts of general and other conditions, YET, I’m certain both those excel in the descending environment, how do they compare in the tight?

A favorite trail in mind has 1/4 to 1/3 up and then the remainder descends (with some rollers). Gamme is pretty darn nice, in many parts yet the stiff wax pocket promotes getting the kick efficient in the correct little convex kibbles; Gamme makes Me better. (does) The Nansen eats up kick in various little undulations of all that? How ‘bout Instad?

Do I need both? Maybe I shouldn’t ask.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Ingstad vs Nansen vs Gamme; descending single track

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Maybe stupid question, but how do you envision either of these skis (or any ski) helping in the descent?
Are you looking for easier turning, hoping you can use turns to decrease speed?
Are you expecting the new ski to be just as fast, but hoping the ski will be easier to turn, for following a twisty trail?

The Gamme is for sure not much of a snake.
I had a pair of Mountain Race 48, and the soft tips on those were great at snaking along a twisty track.
The Gamme want to go straight and ride up out of the track.

I have the Ingstad, but not the Nansen, so don't know which might be better.

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Going slowish, the stiff camber Gamme doesn’t aid in loading the ski into a C shape to help create a radius. Think slalom alpine, where a person may carry more speed (with more room to play with) and apply more force into gaining that bent shape, then using that built up energy to pop out and into the next edge and turn. Gamme doesn’t help much with sliding to help scrub speed either, using built up loaded energy (during slide) to initiate the next turn.

Keep in mind, I’m strictly amateur. The Nansen’s more forgiving stiffness (and maybe Ingstad too?) would aid in getting a ski, edge to edge, quicker, keeping skis agains the fall line aiding in controlling speed better and in effect offering more confidence.

I want that.

Gamme, is a traveling companion. In many other occasions, Gamme will be accompanying Me…. I’m wondering about when descending dominates, with out being steep enough for honest tele turns.

-WHICH by the way is another thing in the back of My mind; I’ve been making some tele turns and thought Nansen or Ingstad may help that natural transition.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Ingstad.

About the same stiffness underfoot as the Nansen, slightly easier to turn with the rocker, less deflection in loose snow than the Nansen.

Gamme + Ingstad make a great spread. Also the fav spread of dearly departed Crister, our old Åsnes Co. ski guru.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:22 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 pm
Ingstad.
Also the fav spread of dearly departed Crister, our old Åsnes Co. ski guru.
Hi Bud! What happened to Crister?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:34 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 pm

I had a pair of Mountain Race 48, and the soft tips on those were great at snaking along a twisty track.
WHHAAAAATT

What happened to these? What were your thoughts? Which length?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:35 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:22 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 pm
Ingstad.
Also the fav spread of dearly departed Crister, our old Åsnes Co. ski guru.
Hi Bud! What happened to Crister?
He doesn't work at Åsnes anymore... Alfa maybe? Rottefella? I forget where he went.

How are you? Everything good at home and with the kid?

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:03 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:34 pm
Stephen wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 pm

WHHAAAAATT

What happened to these? What were your thoughts? Which length?
@FourthCoast has them!
210s. It was a mad whirl. I sold them before I realize it was “ok” to own more than three sets of skis.
I started thinking I wanted something more substantial, so sold and got the Gammes.
They were fun in the track, and on the trail I noticed how the tips would easily snake along the changes in course.
More flow-y than the Gamme.
I skied them only a few times, so can’t speak with great authority…

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:08 pm

@Woodserson, And back to the original post, I was guessing the Ingstad (like you suggested), but maybe stay within the Asnes length recommendations, for ease of turning and control?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:00 am

Stephen wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:08 pm
@Woodserson, And back to the original post, I was guessing the Ingstad (like you suggested), but maybe stay within the Asnes length recommendations, for ease of turning and control?
Yes. I found the 195 Ingstad to be sufficiently turny with good technique at 160lbs but slow on flat consolidated snow. The 205 has kinda become my deep snow trail breaker on flatter terrain but I don't reach for it to go down something steep and turny. If I was going to go shorter... Well then I might as well go FT62 which will be just as fast and far more maneuverable.