Ski Advice Dovrefjell

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Ski Advice Dovrefjell

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am

Jurassic wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:31 pm
Thanks for all your great advice! It's really helpful. I'll be going end of februari, I'll send a small report and some pictures.
I wrote above I knew someone who'd been to Dovre on Åsnes Ingstads. It wasn't Ingstads – it was Amundsens.

(Edit: in the unlikely event anyone cares!)

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic » Tue May 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Hello and thanks for your previous advice everyone!

About the gear: I went with the Asnes Nansens in 185 cm edition; maybe the 180 cm would have been a better choice for my use (as a beginner) but the skis were certainly manageable, had good glide for all I know. The steeper downhill sections and chaotic, hardened windswept snow in Dovrefjell were a technical challenge for me, but that has to do with my technique and not with the material.

For skins: I used the Gecko glueless skins; it worked admirably and stayed well attached. It's very light, so I recommend it to everyone. I only removed the skins about 10-20% of the trip, because of the pulka's and because removing skins in bitter cold wind can be a hassle. Also, as a complete amateur, the many downhill parts didn't need to go too fast for me.

About the terrain and our tour: Dovrefjell was really a lot different than the earlier trips I made in Rondane and in Finnish Lappland. A lot steeper, more technical terrain. It was a beautiful tour (some pictures below), but we had some difficulties on certain steeper parts (me in particular: I'm not good at downhilling on BC skis yet), and had to turn back two times; one time at the pass between Reinheim and Amotdalshytta ( the Leirpullskardet pass). The pass has about 50% steepness on a certain section, and this was a bit tricky with pulkas.

But... Reindeer and Musk Ox made us happy anyway :) What a beautiful country, what a beautiful world, and what joy that we can spend our time with such endeavours.

Cheers, enjoy summer!
tele.png

chris_the_wrench

Post by chris_the_wrench » Tue May 24, 2022 9:36 pm

Can you post a map of your route? Looks awesome!!!
Jurassic wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:34 pm
Hello and thanks for your previous advice everyone!

About the gear: I went with the Asnes Nansens in 185 cm edition; maybe the 180 cm would have been a better choice for my use (as a beginner) but the skis were certainly manageable, had good glide for all I know. The steeper downhill sections and chaotic, hardened windswept snow in Dovrefjell were a technical challenge for me, but that has to do with my technique and not with the material.

For skins: I used the Gecko glueless skins; it worked admirably and stayed well attached. It's very light, so I recommend it to everyone. I only removed the skins about 10-20% of the trip, because of the pulka's and because removing skins in bitter cold wind can be a hassle. Also, as a complete amateur, the many downhill parts didn't need to go too fast for me.

About the terrain and our tour: Dovrefjell was really a lot different than the earlier trips I made in Rondane and in Finnish Lappland. A lot steeper, more technical terrain. It was a beautiful tour (some pictures below), but we had some difficulties on certain steeper parts (me in particular: I'm not good at downhilling on BC skis yet), and had to turn back two times; one time at the pass between Reinheim and Amotdalshytta ( the Leirpullskardet pass). The pass has about 50% steepness on a certain section, and this was a bit tricky with pulkas.

But... Reindeer and Musk Ox made us happy anyway :) What a beautiful country, what a beautiful world, and what joy that we can spend our time with such endeavours.

Cheers, enjoy summer!