The Backcountry Skiing is Improving (Adirondacks)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

The Backcountry Skiing is Improving (Adirondacks)

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:43 pm

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/outta ... -improving

A few of us are still getting out there despite the exposed rocks. We could use another foot, but it's been a lot of fun so far. My bases have a different story to tell...

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: The Backcountry Skiing is Improving (Adirondacks)

Post by Raventele » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:17 am

^^^^ That, quite simply, violates (supports) every damned thing you railed against yesterday..which is fine by me..good info! :lol:
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Actually it does not. It actually supports everything I was saying yesterday... I don't know how you could be so wrong?

Phil is OK by me. I don't know him personally but he does a lot to promote sustainable recreation in the park. He also doesn't divulge any sensitive info. Everything he writes about could be found in a guide book.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm

So it's up to you and "Phil" to decide what's "sensitive" ?? :? :? You must live in a thundering herd of abusive XC and BC skiers? :lol: :lol:
(BTW, I love it how Crowban, Aaron and esp. FHW come off frothing at the mouth RE ski self-proclaimed expertise..And that's fully rarional because THEY and other members are indeed ski experts! It's been verified! :lol: :lol: :lol:
the master Geezer said so!!! )

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:43 pm

Alright Ron - let's play a game. How stupid are you?

Look up the population of NYC and Montreal, and then think about that for a second. Then look up the proximity to the Adirondack park. Then devise a simple thought experiment about how a wilderness area might look if there were not designated trails vs everyone bushwhacking all over. I bet I can because it's how it was before 1970 when the APA was formed and they started regulating this kind of stuff.

Phil did not decide. I did not decide. Our residents, the Governor, the Adirondack Park Agency, and the Department of Environmental Conservation did. And we pay them to do so. They aren't always right, but they try to balance use vs. preservation.

So before you make your next stupid ass comment, go research what you are actually talking about and quit being such moron who is just looking to prove me wrong.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:11 pm

MIKE!
Don't be mean to me in an vain act of hope to curry favor with the Geezer Gliders..
Shame on you!!!

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi Mike,

I post occasionally on the other forum Northeast - found my way over here.

I was curious about your S-bounds - what do you think of them?
I'm looking for some skis that will tour but turn too. They seem like they might be a good choice - I don't have access to areas that fat skis are useful. Which ones to you have and what boot/binding do you use with them? I'm really looking for something that has some camber to tour (as in E99s) but turny to - figure I will put a Voile simple detachable heel loop binding on. My current boots are Alpina 1675s and Merrell Super Comps - I think if I wanted more power I might look to find a pair of Scarpa T4s.

Sorry for the highjack - if somebody (Johnny) would like to move this, by all means. Other opinions about the S-bounds welcome too -

Thanks,

Scott

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:35 am

Sorry - I just saw your really nice review of this in the Community Reviews - should have looked there first.
Thanks for the thorough review and comparisons -

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:54 am

It's no problem oldschool. We obviously don't care too much about hijacks around here.

Good luck with the skis.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

Oldschool,

Just a couple more rambling thoughts about those skis and boots.

What you have will most likely be fine depending on how extreme you plan on getting with those skis and how the snow is.

As far as the low buckle plastics fit is probably more important but my wife has tried both the T4 and the Excursion and she hated the T4 and loves the Excursion. She also doesn't have much ski background and very little dh experience. I think she prefers the comfort and softer flex of the Excursion - either gave her gobs of control compared to a leather boot. I'd dare say she skis down hills better on xcd skis and those boots than real alpine skis (no idea why?)... might just be a mental confidence thing.