Ernie

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Ernie

Post by randoskier » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm

"I remember all kinds of snow that the wind could make and their different treacheries when you were on skis. Then there were blizzards when you were in the high Alpine hut and the strange world that they would make where we had to make our route as carefully as though we had never seen the country. We had not, either, as it all was new. Finally towards spring there was the great glacier run, smooth and straight, forever straight if our legs could hold it, our ankles locked, we running so low, leaning into speed, dropping forever and forever in the silent hiss of the crisp powder. It was better than any flying or anything else, and we built the ability to do it and to have it with the long climbs carrying the heavy rucksacks. We could not buy the trip up nor take the ticket to the top. It was the end we worked for all winter, and all the winter built to make it possible." -Ernest Hemingway, Schruns, Austria, 1925

martin2007

Re: Ernie

Post by martin2007 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:28 pm

Randoskier, thank you for posting this. The piece still turns me on. I came across it at least 40 years ago during my youth during a time when Hemingway's books fascinated me. I still read him (and about him) from time to time. I'm grateful that you decided to celebrate the mountains and the writer here at Telemark Talk. It feels to me like a perfect fit.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:52 pm

Please enlighten me. I’ve read some Hemingway. I’ve not read that. I’m liking him more all the time, live bait for trout, and hiking and skiing. Having big fish take the boat for a sleigh ride, bonus!

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:34 pm

It's from his book about his years in Paris: "A Movable Feast". Reminiscences of the years when he was in his prime. Takes lots of liberties with the truth, and that's maybe what makes it a good read.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:41 pm

martin2007 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:34 pm
It's from his book about his years in Paris: "A Movable Feast". Reminiscences of the years when he was in his prime. Takes lots of liberties with the truth, and that's maybe what makes it a good read.
Liberties with the truth??? Being a fisherman I know my friends and myself would find it to take liberties with the truth! Well, if I have to be 100% truthful, there may be occasional exaggeration! Only for the art of telling a good story!

Thank you, Martin