How much snow to safely ski paved road?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

How much snow to safely ski paved road?

Post by mca80 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:35 am

My road gets plowed, but not all the way down to the blacktop. There's a thin layer of compacted icy stuff always on top. My question is how much fresh powder on top, before they get to plowing again, would be needed to ski without risk of damaging my new skis?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: How much snow to safely ski paved road?

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 am

I would say, 4” is generally pretty good. However I have rock skis, I live in southern Michigan. Rock skis are really important to have.
If you don’t have any rock skis, I have an Asnes USGI at 200 cm which could use a base grind, and an old Europa 99 it’s a royal blue with red model 210 cm. It was too slow for me. If I make it to Telefest you could have either set.
You really need rock skis, and a good tuck and roll when you have that sudden foot stoppage from hitting the rock!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 am

There's an art to doing this successfully. IMO the main threat is not ski damage but faceplant-related damage. One false move or one imperfection or pebble on the surface that sticks up through the thin layer of snow or one edge set too steep lead to sudden violent faceplant. The "trick" is to not ski aggressively (sit back, no edging). or find somewhere else to slide that doesn't involve a good chance of grinding your face on a hard rocky surface. How can I so confidently and boldly answer this important question? Because I tried this same thing in the early season on a long packed-stone logging road that descends a couple hundred feet pretty quickly... until I suddenly found myself picking bits of stone from my scalp and face. Ski got gouged but that ended up being the least severe consequence that gritty day

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:21 pm

It depends on the type of snow also. I'd be good with 1 to 2 inches of heavy dense snow that's bonded to the asphalt. In light fluffy stuff that isn't bonded to the road 4 inches might not be enough. You say there is a hard base on the road all season so you could get by with just a half inch or so. If they put sand or gravel on the road you will need more to cover it up. You might have to give it a try to see if you hit rocks and then decide if it will damage your bases.

I skied my road earlier this week on about 4-5 inches on top of a packed base that had been sanded. I did hit some sand and gravel that was stirred up by traffic, but I wasn't as concerned about damaging my bases as I would have been if the gravel was still bonded to the base. That being said I wouldn't have used my best or newest skis.

Other factors are how steep the road is. If you can keep your turns close in the fall line you can get by with less snow then if had to scrub speed in your turns, or do any skidding to the side.

If skiing on the road is your only opportunity to get out it's worth risking damage to your skis IMO. If you start hitting rocks you may decide to wait it out.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:52 pm

Thanks, all. Our new snow is almost always light and fluffy. I can use the old Rossis as rock skis, but they're slow and once I get off the road to where I am headed I want to be on the Nansens, so... I will just walk, it's only a mile. Unless there's a good 4 to 5 out there before plowing. Was just looking for a quicker way to get to an overgrown path down the road.

What happens at the Porkies telefest? I was contemplating heading there next Thursday when the lifts are closed because it's supposed to be nice and warm, like low 20s. I worry about speeding downhill with my near-zero experience going downhill on skinny freeheel skis with the dog around. Makes me think I should get a Breidablikk or Kongsvold for next year.

connyro

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:28 pm

mca80 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:52 pm
What happens at the Porkies telefest? I was contemplating heading there next Thursday when the lifts are closed because it's supposed to be nice and warm, like low 20s. I worry about speeding downhill with my near-zero experience going downhill on skinny freeheel skis with the dog around. Makes me think I should get a Breidablikk or Kongsvold for next year.
Telefest is the 11th through the 13th of Feb. its like the 32nd annual. It's a fun crowd and a good time. Lots of Midwestern tele skiers come out of the woodwork. Drinking beer and meeting people is optional but highly recommended. It's a casual, chill crowd.

If you head up to the porkies ski hill with skinnies on closed days, I would stick to the east and west sides of the hill. Looker's right has a good uphill trail that should he fine for kick wax or scales. There's lots of xc trails all around the ski hill too that can take you to the top as well. For mellow downs, look for Ridge and Hidden Valley on the east side and Sunset on the west.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:34 pm

1/2 inch if you don't like your skis anymore

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:46 pm

connyro wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:28 pm
mca80 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:52 pm
Telefest is the 11th through the 13th of Feb. its like the 32nd annual. It's a fun crowd and a good time. Lots of Midwestern tele skiers come out of the woodwork. Drinking beer and meeting people is optional but highly recommended. It's a casual, chill crowd.

If you head up to the porkies ski hill with skinnies on closed days, I would stick to the east and west sides of the hill. Looker's right has a good uphill trail that should he fine for kick wax or scales. There's lots of xc trails all around the ski hill too that can take you to the top as well. For mellow downs, look for Ridge and Hidden Valley on the east side and Sunset on the west.
Thanks. I knew greens down would be the way to go. Might even wear a helmet, never having tried tele turns, although if I keep it slow I should be fine and can always fall backward to stop. If it's warm out for telefest I may go. Too cold and I have to leave the dog at home and he doesn't like that. At least if it's warm I can keep him in the truck and walk him now and then. Are their xc trails groomed and tracked? Is there space for me to ski Nansens outside the tracks?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:01 pm

randoskier wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:34 pm
1/2 inch if you don't like your skis anymore
a half in on a hard base, Why not?

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:03 pm

When there is no sand or gravel on my road I don't need any powder.