Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
consular_ship
Ski style: squid

Re: Light & agile tele: SB with the new transnordic leather?

Post by consular_ship » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:53 am

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am
consular_ship wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am
newbie here chiming in to report that the transnordics do indeed fit (and stay in) in a switchback x2 binding (size 42, short rods, 169 sbound 112). i tour for turns in steep, unglaciated valleys and goat prairies in the driftless area and it should be a decent set up for powder days (t2s for when it’s crusty or icy). ymmv, hope this helps
Thanks, that's good to know. Have you ever tried any other boot in a SB besides plastic?
nope, the transnordics are my first leathers; i’ve only ever skied my t2s in my switchbacks

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm

consular_ship wrote:
newbie here chiming in to report that the transnordics do indeed fit (and stay in) in a switchback x2 binding (size 42, short rods, 169 sbound 112). i tour for turns in steep, unglaciated valleys and goat prairies in the driftless area and it should be a decent set up for powder days (t2s for when it’s crusty or icy). ymmv, hope this helps
This is a brilliant piece of information. Thanks alot for chipping!

Now both Lundhags and Transnordic are back in consideration with SBs.
The Fischer will also work with my 3-pins, so more versatile, while the Lundhags 3-layer is a personal favorite for comfort & longevity.

All comes down to stability really. Would love to hear a comparison, but finding someone that has actually tried both is probably too much too hope for..
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am
Volkl has always made good skis. My AT setup are Volkl BMT 92. I have put in long hours on multiday tours with those.
Right! You don't think the early rise would be a suboptimality for tele? Otherwise they look & sound like very good bang for the buck.

TheMusher

Post by TheMusher » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:51 pm

spopepro wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:11 pm
TheMusher wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 am

I'd be the first in line for this boot, but I might have to fight for that spot :D Curious how challenging it really is for Scarpa to adapt a light/mid-weight AT boot to TTS/NTN. Doesn't have to be anywhere near perfection to be an improvement over the current options out there.. May be forces (literally) in place that I don't understand.
There's been a few prototypes floating out there in the wild and I think everyone is confident Scarpa *can* make it. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. The major hold-up at this point is that bindings are in flux. It's likely that pins+duckbill is probably the future, but does it also need an NTN toe welt? Is the dynafit pattern the right for the pins for a tele pin system? Does it need the options for heel cables? Heel pins (and if heel pins, how to keep the forefoot supported when the heel is locked)? Last I heard was that Scarpa wanted the dust to settle a bit and know where the future of NTN/TeleTech is actually moving. And I personally think we won't see the weight savings of an F1, but it will end up being a maestrale type boot.
Makes sense. I've can't think of any other sport in such flux as telemark touring. What you'd hope for though, is that Scarpa pairs up with binding partner(s) to command the direction themselves - much like Alfa and Rottefella are attempting with Xplore. But I can see why they're holding back - cost/benefit wise..

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:27 pm

consular_ship wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:53 am
lowangle al wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am
consular_ship wrote:
Thanks, that's good to know. Have you ever tried any other boot in a SB besides plastic?
nope, the transnordics are my first leathers; i’ve only ever skied my t2s in my switchbacks
I hope things don't change if the sole softens up.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm
consular_ship wrote:
This is a brilliant piece of information. Thanks alot for chipping!

Now both Lundhags and Transnordic are back in consideration with SBs.
The Fischer will also work with my 3-pins, so more versatile, while the Lundhags 3-layer is a personal favorite for comfort & longevity.

All comes down to stability really. Would love to hear a comparison, but finding someone that has actually tried both is probably too much too hope for..
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am
Volkl has always made good skis. My AT setup are Volkl BMT 92. I have put in long hours on multiday tours with those.
Right! You don't think the early rise would be a suboptimality for tele? Otherwise they look & sound like very good bang for the buck.
I dont think so. although, depending on your weight, due to a shorter effective length, you would need longer skis. I have 165cm and 169cm for my S125 and S112s. but 176cm for my BMT 92. you need the longer length for better weight distribution when carrying heavier loads..
otherwise a short 164cm would feel like giant snowshoes. You may find 176cm is very effective on flat terrain and produce some glide when the snow is right. and that early rise will help you turn...no need for short skis.

TheMusher

Post by TheMusher » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:28 am

Thanks for all the input thus far folks!! Sincerely appreciate it.

It's boiled down to either:
Lundhags Guide Expedition + SB
Transnordic 75 + SB or 3pinHW

Will look at specific skis over the weekend.I'm a little on the heavy side (90 kg + 1.85cm tall), so steering towards 177cm skis. Nosi looks interesting, so does a couple of the 90-99mm Voiles.

Heading into the storm for the weekend with my dog sled now... :?
You have a good one!

TheMusher

Post by TheMusher » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:31 am

Update on this ongoing project

I have now ordered BOTH a Guide Expedition 75 and Fischer Transnordic 75.
Will make a side-by-side comparison and decide which one is most fit for the purpose - sufficient walking comfort, solid downhill performance. Will share my takeaways here.

The boots of choice will be paired with a Switchback X2

@consular_ship, @brwilkinson, @Roelant. For those of you that have tried the Transnordic 75 - how wide of a ski are you rocking it with, and does it provide sufficient edge control?

Im leaning towards 90-96mm waist, but would love to have some comfort that this can be handled by the boots.

@fisheater. I've noted your love for the Alicos with great interest. You reckon those should be in the contest? They seem somewhat on the heavy side and less "agile"? Although obviously very robust and great craftmanship

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:49 am

TheMusher wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:31 am
Update on this ongoing project

I have now ordered BOTH a Guide Expedition 75 and Fischer Transnordic 75.
Will make a side-by-side comparison and decide which one is most fit for the purpose - sufficient walking comfort, solid downhill performance. Will share my takeaways here.

The boots of choice will be paired with a Switchback X2

@consular_ship, @brwilkinson, @Roelant. For those of you that have tried the Transnordic 75 - how wide of a ski are you rocking it with, and does it provide sufficient edge control?

Im leaning towards 90-96mm waist, but would love to have some comfort that this can be handled by the boots.

@fisheater. I've noted your love for the Alicos with great interest. You reckon those should be in the contest? They seem somewhat on the heavy side and less "agile"? Although obviously very robust and great craftmanship
Actually I’m quite interested in reading reviews of the Transnordic 75 and the Ludhags Guide Expedition 75, with the caveat I think I prefer a 3-pin option with a 75 mm boot. Right now my Alaska 75 is getting out more than my Ski March. However we are supposed to get a minimum of 30 cm of snow, however possibly well over 40 cm. If I break out the Tindan, I will be using the Ski March boot. So how does this answer your question? I’m not sure it does. I can say that the Ski March boot handles a ski 86mm underfoot well in good snow conditions. I can also say there are also snow conditions where the Ski March will not handle 86 mm underfoot. The power of manky snow will definitely be more powerful than the Ski March sole, when the snow is powerful enough to push the ski around. I hope this helps, I will be looking forward to your reports.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:52 am

@TheMusher
Does your Lundhags Expedition 75 have a 3pin duckbill?
Some versions of this boot do not have the NN 3pin holes and can only be used with a cable binding...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:09 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:52 am
@TheMusher
Does your Lundhags Expedition 75 have a 3pin duckbill?
Some versions of this boot do not have the NN 3pin holes and can only be used with a cable binding...
Sorry just saw your reply/question without reading the thread. The Lundhags Expedition 75 was intented to be used solely with cables, even in a 3-pin rat trap type binding. They state it right on their website:

"For wire bindings only, not for 3-pin attachment."

As far as matching a leather boot with a SB, I am quite against that. Leather boots are too soft for the pressure exerted but cartidge bindings, IMO.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM