Rottefella ST boot compatibility question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
hans3673

Rottefella ST boot compatibility question

Post by hans3673 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:35 pm

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a nice pair of never used Asolo Snowpine boots. I plan to use them for playing around off-trail yet this winter. Winter camping, fishing, gear hauling is my kind of use.

However...

The Rottefella Supertelemark bindings I am trying to pair them with barely close into the first position. Closing the binding takes way more force than seems comfortable.

For curiosity sake I tried an older t3 plastic boot in them: I couldn’t come close to closing the Rotte ST into the first position with the T3.

Lateral sides of duckbill fit OK within the binding, but thickness of duckbill is prohibiting a good fit here I believe.

Is this experience par for the course with these boot(s) binding combination? Will Voile HD solve my problem here? Do I need to get something else? Can be tough to find 3-pin experts these days where I’m at.

Any responses much appreciated - genuinely have enjoyed finding this forum and reading through the wealth of information.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Rottefella ST boot compatibility question

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:29 am

Hi,
What is the thickness of the duckbill on your boots?
I'm in the top click on Rotte Super Telemark with 18mm duckbills, these are on boots including Scarpa T4, Scott Excursion and Fischer Transnordic. I'd say its quite a tight clamping but not dangerously so.

5-10 years ago Voile started making their 3 pin bindings more suited for fatter duckbills, while at the same time clamping less securely on thinner ones. I think the specifications are 16mm - 20mm now. Some newer leather boots are not clamped very securely anymore unless the duckbill is shimmed.

This thread here has a bit of a discussion
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=963&hilit=classic+ ... ce9ecdab8c

I would say that 20mm in the Rotte Super Tele is probably pushing it, from my experience with 18mm thick.

hans3673

Post by hans3673 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:05 am

Thank you,

The duckbill on my Snowpines measures right at about 18mm.

T3s are 19mm, and definitely would not be able to fit the plastic boot in without grinding material off the duckbill.

I suppose I will try to find a set of the voile HDs and compare fit.

How tight is too tight for binding clamping? Seems like an exceeding amount of stress that could lead to failure.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:25 am

I purchased my Rotte ST specifically to fit my Alaska 75, which they fit really well. I have clipped my Alico Ski March boots, and they fit nicely at the first click. There is a significant difference in the clamp size between the ST and the Mountaineer.
Now you have me curious. I thought my T-4 fit the ST, but I’m going to double check tonight

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:11 am

@fisheater the t4 i had fit in my Rotte ST

hans3673

Post by hans3673 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:44 pm

Well to conclude this I switched the STs out for the Voile HDs.

The Voile HDs clamped the thicknesses of the previously mentioned boots just fine, and based on this experiment have more range on the higher end thicknesses of duckbills.

Of course, my Snowpines now rub badly on the sides of the HDs when they didn’t on the Rotte STs and I may take some sole off to accommodate. My T3s fit clamp great all the way around on the HDs.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:05 pm

I can fit my T4s in ST's. Its snug, have to make sure I press my foot down , and the bail is tight but it will fit.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie