Getting Xplore boots in the US, also XPLORE system question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ira

Getting Xplore boots in the US, also XPLORE system question

Post by Ira » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 am

Hello community,
I've been waiting for REI to get the XPLORE boots (checking every day) with no success. Does anyone know the best place to get XPLORE boots in the US if REI keeps not having them? Or if they will actually have them soon?

I was looking at Varuste but I don't know how much the customs charge is -- anyone now? Also, if the boots are only tried on, not used, do they accept returns (and do they require for the customer to pay return shipping)?

I'm considering the Alfa Skaget in 39.

Does that boot, in combination with XPLORE binding, offer both better control and better kick-and-glide than a 3-pin 75mm ST (free heel, no cables) with Alpina Alaska 75?

I do ok with 75mm but very poorly with NNNBC.

(I did read the reviews of XPLORE and the Alfa boots)

Has anyone tried XPLORE and not been happy with it after several excursions?

Thanks!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Getting Xplore boots in the US, also XPLORE system question

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:15 pm

Neptune has the Alaska XP.
There will not be any duty on orders from Varuste to the US.
For Varuste returns, the customer pays for return shipping costs, which could be high (more than Varuste charges the customer for shipping from Varuste).
Based on uncertainty, I’m waiting for REI, even if it’s next winter.
I might chance Neptune, since return shipping would be less expensive.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:59 pm

@Ira Bergs, limited sizes, but on sale?

MUST FIGHT GAS! Whew! I’m a 43 but my Alaska’s have gotten a little tighter….

998158C7-77A0-4960-BA37-B817E610E9F7.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:39 pm

Ira, you’re not really pushing the limits of equipment,NNN-BC offers plenty of control as does 75 mm. There is a limit to equipment making us better skiers, but we all look for that gear that will take us to another level

Dxmetal
Ski style: Total Newbie

Post by Dxmetal » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:21 pm

Over at REI it looks like a lot of negative reviews of the Alpina Alaska (non XP model) about the sole glue coming undone ?? Any review of owners of the Alaska boots from the users here on the forum ?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:14 am

Ira wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 am
Hello community,
I've been waiting for REI to get the XPLORE boots (checking every day) with no success. Does anyone know the best place to get XPLORE boots in the US if REI keeps not having them? Or if they will actually have them soon?

I was looking at Varuste but I don't know how much the customs charge is -- anyone now? Also, if the boots are only tried on, not used, do they accept returns (and do they require for the customer to pay return shipping)?

Does that boot, in combination with XPLORE binding, offer both better control and better kick-and-glide than a 3-pin 75mm ST (free heel, no cables) with Alpina Alaska 75?

Thanks!
Aventure Nordique in France (Grenoble area) is very good and has fair shipping prices (they will not ship skis to USA but boots ok). This is their shipping costs- for USA https://www.aventurenordique.com/livraison

Note that their prices include VAT (sales tax) of 20% they subtract this when ordering from the states i.e. the Skaget at 350 EUR will actually cost you 290 EUR + shipping.

They are nice peopl and they accept Paypal.

Bonne chance!

KDog
Ski style: Multi-Glisse

Post by KDog » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:49 am

Telemark-Pyrenees has the ALFA boots plus a 10% discount code until mid-February. The discount about covers shipping. I have ordered from TP for over a decade, called and spoken to staff (most speak English), and have never had an issue.

One thing I highly recommend, don't use DHL for shipping to the US! It's a little more to use UPS Express, but well worth it. DHL may work ok in Europe, but they can't make the final delivery to many parts of the US, especially to more remote areas. They pawn the last step off to the US Postal service, and that is where everything goes wrong! Especially with tracking.

I'm very tempted to order some ALFA's right now. I wish I could try on/size them to my extra wide feet. Got them in the website's cart for under $300 with shipping...
GAS!

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:41 pm

Ira wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 am
Hello community,

Thanks!
If you buy it directly from Alfa then returns are only 12 bucks. Their shipping is free on orders over 350 EUR, not too bad for under. My wife got both her boots and the Xplore binding from Alfa, so express shipping was free. If you lurk on their site awhile you might get 20% off for signing up for email- we did.

"General information about return
Free return in Europe
We have free returns on all orders in Europe.
Customers outside Europe will be charged 10€ for return shipping. This amount will be deducted from the final refund."

https://www.alfaoutdoor.com/policies/refund-policy
https://www.alfaoutdoor.com/policies/shipping-policy

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 pm

@randoskier, I had not noticed ALFA's 10 Euro ($12) return fee from the US, and had assumed it would be much more.
$12 to try before buying such an expensive boot seems quite reasonable, even if they need to be returned.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:17 pm

Dxmetal wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:21 pm
Over at REI it looks like a lot of negative reviews of the Alpina Alaska (non XP model) about the sole glue coming undone ?? Any review of owners of the Alaska boots from the users here on the forum ?
That issue seems to be limited to the 75mm version of the Alpina Alaska boot.