Opinions regarding Infrared waxing…

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Opinions regarding Infrared waxing…

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:46 am

So the Gammes showed up today. Pretty excited to get on them next week so I dropped them off at the local shop to get mounted. While waiting to talk to the ski tech I was reading the “menu board” regarding services offered and spotted Infrared waxing available. I’m kind of curious as to TMT members thoughts on getting the first layer of Polar applied this way. Would there be any benefit to doing this or would it be a waste of $29.99? I’d planned on ironing that first layer in but thought I’d ask you to share your thoughts on Infrared for the initial application.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Opinions regarding Infrared waxing…

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:10 pm

I cork my polar in, and I am quite pleased with the results. So when I feel a need to improve I’ll step up to ironing.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:08 pm

I have never heard of "infrared" waxing. If it's a question of is a hot wax (ironed in) wax better than a "jet wax"... a shop means of running the skis over a brush with melted wax, yes a true hot wax is definitely superior to a brush on. The brush on does not penetrate into the base, and wears off in less than a day. All if I'm interpreting the question and services properly.

I'd still like to know what "infrared" waxing is, and on what sort of skis we're talking about.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:04 am

“the Wax Future penetrates the wax deeper into the base due to the infrared radiation“
https://www.wintersteiger.com/us/Ski-Se ... Wax-Future