ADK Jackrabbit Trail

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

ADK Jackrabbit Trail

Post by corlay » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:48 pm

Has anyone here done the Jackrabbit Trail in the NY Adirondacks?
32 miles un-groomed and marked trail system runs from Keene to Saranac Lake, or even further up to Paul Smith's...
(I searched the Trip Report forum archives, and did not find any mention of it)
https://www.betatrails.org/jackrabbit-ski-trail.html

Wondering if there is decent lodging to be found along the way?
[Edit: Looks like the trail runs right through the town of Lake Placid, and this is pretty close to the halfway mark? Should be easy to find a place in town, I would think...]
I'm not quite adventurous enough to ski with a full pack and winter camp in the backcountry...
So, would need to find a place close to the trail to stay along the way.
(probably about mid-way. I think we could cover the trail in 2 days of skiing...)
Would leave one car at starting point, and one at the ending point.

Warm weather and rain has ruined the snowpack in central NY, so my mind is thinking about where to go to get a few more treks in, this season.

Thanks!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: ADK Jackrabbit Trail

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:15 pm

@corlay The Jackrabbit seems like a worthy enterprise. The Barkeater Trail Alliance has a phone number, it might be worth a call. One of the selling points of the trail was bringing skier business to the towns along the trail

Natirondack
Ski style: Backcountry XCD, long radius ripping, and goofy too.
XCD Bushwhacking
Resort Tele
Favorite Skis: Madshus Glittertind (wax), Karhu XCD GT (wax), Tua Cirque, Line Sick Day 104, G3 FINDr 86
Favorite boots: Alaska 75, BD Seeker, BD Customs (purple)
Wooden Boat Builder
Sculptor/Printmaker

Post by Natirondack » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:20 am

I work at Cascade Ski Center in the ADK (along the Jackrabbit Trial) and have also done the entire trail (42 miles), once last year in a single day.

Section from Paul Smiths to Saranac Lake:

Mostly flat with long shared sections of snowmobile trail. You will want a stiff double cambered ski (Fischer superlite, Transnordic, Madshus Glittertind, M55, Rossi BC59).

Mackenzie pass from SL to LP:

Up the never ending hill and then back down. Can crush souls. Eat lunch at the height of land lean-to for a good time (bring some beer too). I recommend BC boots and a metal edge. This section is popular and skied off. Can be done on skinny touring skis due to how straight it is on the hills but it is fast.

Through the town of LP:

Very confusing, goes behind a stewarts gas station, then down the Crown Plaza hotel's front lawn. Walks along main street, by the pub, and onto the golf course. Then its the woods again.

LP to Keene:

Some good sections here. Cross the steel bridge and walks along the River Rd shoulder for what seems like too long before taking a left onto a dirt driveway. Trail branches off Right and goes to Craig Wood golf course. Cross the highway and ski to Cascade Ski center! Then cross the highway again, walk Mtn Ln. shoulder until the end, and ski the north side pass of Pitchoff Mtn. Beautiful remote cliffs and a nice long hill the the Rock and River outfitter's parking lot.

Places to Stay:

1) Do it in a day and brag about it.
2) Anywhere in the town of SL. The Hotel Saranac (grab a burger and a Heady Topper at Grizle T's).
3) Anywhere in Placid but you must survive the tourists
4) Cascade Hostel or Inn by the Craig Wood driveway (only 5 miles from the finish though)

Best bet is Saranac Lake. I live there and it is a great way to rest before Mackenzie Pass and the tourists are all in Placid. All the locals live here.

sparker1987

Post by sparker1987 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:38 pm

Killer info! We're headed there next weekend, hopefully there is still snow somewhere after all the rain the last couple days

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:59 pm

Hey Nat, I spent a lot of time on that bench myself; built the rental rack that's probably still hanging there. Still renting dorm rooms in the basement? Kenny still have the Jackrabbit Inn?

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:04 pm

42 miles AND beer? I am completely humbled.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:42 pm

sparker1987 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:38 pm
Killer info! We're headed there next weekend, hopefully there is still snow somewhere after all the rain the last couple days
you will have a blast!

there was a decent amount of snow-pack when we left on Sunday after it rained. Maybe 12”? It surely will re-freeze this week, and Im pretty sure a few smaller storms are set to move through and drop 3” or so a few times - so conditions should be reasonable…

I plan to post a detailed “Trip Report” when I get some time, but here are the important cliff notes:

0. Trail Features
the section of trail from Keene to Lake Placid is generally pretty wide (8’-10’) consolided and tracked snow. No steeps were too unruly. Even if you arent a great “turner”, they are all manageable with a controlled snow plow. Mostly woodland trail, but also sections that cover: frozen marshes, golf courses, dirt road shoulders, a few bridges, and the Cascade Nordic Center. Any sections where one must walk are typically less than 1/2 mile. The trail is marked very well.

1. Reverse Direction
For a number of reasons, we decided to ski it in the opposite direction (Keene to Lake Placid) most people do. (all directions to be found online are setup for west to east travel). Although, according to Stava our elevation gain was about 1,500ft, all climbs were pretty relaxed. No skins needed.

2. Double Camber
This trail (at least the section we skiied) is *perfect* for a double-cambered medium or even narrow width metal edge ski. E99/TN66/Gamme. Unless there is fresh, un-tracked powder - then a wider ski better suited for deep snow might be in order.

3. Cascade Pub Closed
I was *so* looking forward to a few pints and a basket of fries at the Cascade Center Pub, only to discover it has recently been closed and the center has been sold (to the Adirondack Mountain Club, I believe?) The pro shop and retail store are still open, though.

4. Lake Placid Connector
The connector that runs through Lake Placid is *super* confusing. And we were traveling in reverse direction from the descriptions found online to make it even harder. Honestly, if I do it again, I would just walk from the LP Club, all the way to where the ski trail resumes off of Westvalley Road. Probably walk down Cummings Road to get there from main st (the road that boarders the north edge of the outdoor speed skate oval) and avoid the Crowne Plaza alltogether. (steep hill up, steep hill down)

5. Dak Shack
The Dak Shack is a really cool place to get food and drink and is *just* far away from the main st drag to avoid being overrun with hockey moms.
;-) Its the next best thing to the Carribean Cowboy which has sadly closed for good (and used to be across the street)

6. Alternate Day 02 Plans
it rained pretty hard Sunday am from 7 to about 10, and we couldnt wait around, so we bailed on doing the Lake Placid to Paul Smiths section, unfortunately. But on the drive home (west route 3) it really turned into a *banner* spring ski day - so we stopped at Cranberry Lake and did a 5mile ski there. Very nice! Well-marked State Land ski-specific trials (no snowmobiles) just like the Jackrabbit.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:48 am

That sounds like fun, I look forward to the report.

Natirondack
Ski style: Backcountry XCD, long radius ripping, and goofy too.
XCD Bushwhacking
Resort Tele
Favorite Skis: Madshus Glittertind (wax), Karhu XCD GT (wax), Tua Cirque, Line Sick Day 104, G3 FINDr 86
Favorite boots: Alaska 75, BD Seeker, BD Customs (purple)
Wooden Boat Builder
Sculptor/Printmaker

Post by Natirondack » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm

phoenix wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:59 pm
Hey Nat, I spent a lot of time on that bench myself; built the rental rack that's probably still hanging there. Still renting dorm rooms in the basement? Kenny still have the Jackrabbit Inn?
Not sure about the jackrabbit inn to be honest. Much less running into people with the lodge closed and all.

That rental rack is probably the most well built part of this whole building so much thanks to you! We are still renting the dorms but not for long. We are emptying the building now and moving out so the ADK mountain club can take over. We are in the last couple weeks here at Cascade.

This Sunday (march 13th) is the wooden ski festival here and the coming storm should give us some snow back. It will be last event cascade ever throws so if you are near consider stopping in.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:46 pm

Credit for the rack goes to Art, really; it was his idea, I just sketched up a plan, went into town for lumber, and did the putting together.
Kind of hard imagining the end of the run for Cascade, it's a special place. Will the shop re-emerge in any form or place? Fond memories of the wooden ski festivals, full moon parties, and fully awesome staff parties! Not sure if I'll be up for the drive from here this weekend; but my thoughts and spirit will be there if I'm not. Maybe tell Jen and Art I send a good hello.

(PS- that page from Couloir magazine with the quote from Allan Bard still on the front of the rack? That was my touch).