Back Country Boots vs Skate Ski Boots for Flat BC Skiing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DoggParadox

Back Country Boots vs Skate Ski Boots for Flat BC Skiing

Post by DoggParadox » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:40 am

Thinking about a BC setup. It would just be for flat terrain, no hills (mainly across frozen lakes). Would be using classic technique.

I've skied my skinny (race-y) skis on ungroomed trails before. In general they were fast but unstable (wobbly ankles kind of thing). This was using race-y classic boots (super light, no ankle support).

Happy to get another set of wider skis which would probably help a bit (likely Finnmarks). Also looking at boots for the wider skis.

My understanding is that BC boots have two benefits, 1) the binding interface is wider which leads to a more solid connection between the boot and the binding and 2) they're taller and stiffer than classic ski boots which gives more ankle support.

(maybe there are more benefits I'm missing. Feel free to note any I missed)

I'm wondering if anyone has tried/considered using skate ski boots on BC skis with SNS or NNN (non-BC) bindings? How did it work? How do they compare to a BC boot?

Skate ski boots would obviously provide additional ankle support compared to race-y classic boots. Maybe they would match the side to side stiffness of BC boots but have too much forward/backward stiffness though?

Considering this for a few reasons
1) I already have nice skate boots so it would save money
2) I have a hard time finding boots that fit correctly. I love salomon but don't think they make NNN-BC boots from what I can tell
3) I'd like to avoid boots with animal products (e.g. Leather) and it doesn't seem like there alot of good NNN-BC boots that aren't mostly leather

bark-eater

Re: Back Country Boots vs Skate Ski Boots for Flat BC Skiing

Post by bark-eater » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:47 am

http://crust.outlookalaska.com/index.htm

Make a fresh pot of coffee and scroll down.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:00 pm

Fisher’s base model traditional BC boot, BCX Tour, is immitation “leather”… might be an option. Regarded as “base model” as it is less stiff in the sole and less stiff/supportive in the uppers than other more expensive models in the series. So probably the best for pure kick and glide on flat terrain…

I ski the BCX Grand Tour and really like it. Fischer sizing seems to fit a lot of people pretty well.

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm

Something to consider - as skate boots are designed to have a rigid sole, doing extensive classic skiing on them could cause premature wear (continuous sole flexing when the design is rigidity, cracking of sole components at flexion point).

You have a few reasons for not wanting to go to a BC boot - perhaps a combi boot from Salomon might be the best option. Maintain the fit that you are used to, gain a stiffer upper, but still a sole that is designed for classic technique flex.

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 pm

Don't try to kick and glide (or even hike) in skate boots. It's bad for the boot, your feet, and your technique.

You can buy "pursuit" boots (previously combi boots) that have flex in the forefoot but a stiff upper cuff. You can even get really high end boots in this class that racers use in the skiathalon (classic and skate technique in the same race). Not going to have the same warmth or waterproofing as good BC boots.

The limitation here is the binding has to be NNN (regular) not NNN-BC which is much flimsier and narrower. I think pursuit boots + NNN binding would be awesome on a ski like asnes MR48 or MT52 (no one that I know have has posted on this). Especially for skating on corn. I think this could be OK on Gamme/Finnmark but you do start risking ripping a binding out of the ski.

biocandy

Post by biocandy » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:45 am

Until 2 years ago I did all my back country skiing on Åsnes taiga skiis with a nnn skate setup, and still do when condtions allow. Most of it on crust or following snowmobile tracks though. As mentioned earlier the bad link in this combo is the nnn binding, which I have broken at least 2.
Seem to recall Åsnes suggests a nnn setup for their touring skiis.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:00 am

biocandy wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:45 am
Until 2 years ago I did all my back country skiing on Åsnes taiga skiis with a nnn skate setup, and still do when condtions allow. Most of it on crust or following snowmobile tracks though. As mentioned earlier the bad link in this combo is the nnn binding, which I have broken at least 2.
Seem to recall Åsnes suggests a nnn setup for their touring skiis.
That would be NNN-BC, presumably.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:31 pm

John_XCD wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 pm
The limitation here is the binding has to be NNN (regular) not NNN-BC which is much flimsier and narrower. I think pursuit boots + NNN binding would be awesome on a ski like asnes MR48 or MT52 (no one that I know have has posted on this). Especially for skating on corn. I think this could be OK on Gamme/Finnmark but you do start risking ripping a binding out of the ski.
Wait, why would NNN bindings rip out of the ski easier than NNN-BC?

Don't they have the exact same screw pattern?

What am I missing?

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:43 am

riel wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:31 pm
John_XCD wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:22 pm
Wait, why would NNN bindings rip out of the ski easier than NNN-BC?

Don't they have the exact same screw pattern?

What am I missing?
I guess I don't know if there is a real difference in risk of an nnn or nnnc binding coming out. I have had issues with nnn bindings coming out (when used on race skis in totally inappropriate BC conditions). Might also have to do with race ski construction.

The other disadvantage of NNN in the BC context is that the "rails" are also present in the heel plate. The heel of the boot tends to get packed with snow and not sit well on the rails when in untracked conditions.