Falketind 62 vs Eons?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
AdamA
Ski style: xcD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falketind 62 Xplore
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX Transnordics
Occupation: Making terrible turns throughout the New England backcountry.

Falketind 62 vs Eons?

Post by AdamA » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 pm

Hey friends,

Searching for my dream BC ski. Equal parts flats and turns. Driven by BCX 75 waterproofs.

I’ve got a pair of Eons but they’re not the turniest skis out there (though not bad!). Anyone know how the Falketinds compare with regards to K+G performance?

Im in New England so snow conditions are usually crusty, icy, and sometimes mucky.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Falketind 62 vs Eons?

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:29 pm

The new FT Xplore has kick and glide. I actually had better kick and glide than some T-78 skiers I met on a recent trip. Now those skiers were kind enough to lead me around a new place, they were younger and more accustomed to the vertical relief. Not that 1000 feet is serious, but in Michigan where I ski 150 feet is good. I was just happy that my skis kick and glided better as I kicked less going uphill and I had no trouble keeping up. I cannot account for skier weight to ski length. I will add that my Rex Universal Tar was darn sweet in those snow conditions.
I don’t know how the Eon kicks or turns. I’ll say at proper length the T-78 kicks as well as the FT X as well as the Eon. I’m only saying these as a possible allowance for my next statement.
The new FT Xplore makes the Madshus and Fischer 20 year old designs in this class obsolete. Absolutely and completely. I never skied my S-112 after buying my original FT 62, and that was a more flawed design. Today if you want a cross country ski that is also a downhill ski, there’s only one the FT Xplore.
I mounted my FT X Rottefella Super Telemark with cable. The intent was moderate touring with my Alpina 75 sans cable, maybe Alico Ski March with cable. Well the more I ski the Alpina 75 the more I appreciate it’s XC capabilities. I am now putting it equal to the Alaska BC. However with the Rotte cable, it’s a downhill boot.
The new Falketind Xplore overall is far superior to the previous design in both XC and downhill. That doesn’t mean the previous version doesn’t do some things better. Overall XC and downhill together, there is no comparison the new Xplore is far, far superior. I will add I am currently on the 196 cm FT X, the largest size made when I purchased the original was 188. Like I said previously I still much preferred it to S-bounds.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:37 pm

Can anybody compare the new FT 62 Explore to the Madshus M62, the Panorama Transition model? I doubt it, but I would be interested in the answer.

freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Post by freedom glider » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:18 pm

is the FT Xplore only for Xplore bindings? or can it be used with other bindings too?

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:32 pm

freedom glider wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:18 pm
is the FT Xplore only for Xplore bindings? or can it be used with other bindings too?
I mounted mine with Rottefella Super Telemark with cable. While I’m sure the Xplore binding system is nice, I own an Alaska 75, Alico Ski March, and a T-4. No way as of yet for the Xplore system to compete with that versatility.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:24 pm

freedom glider wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:18 pm
That phenomena is called «marketing»... a more polished, more «acceptable» version of «bullshit».

You can put whatever binding you want on those skis... no problemo.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 pm

@Rodbelan i know you have a Panorama 62, would you care to share what it does well? I know you wrote that you liked the ski.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:35 pm

fisheater wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 pm
@Rodbelan i know you have a Panorama 62, would you care to share what it does well? I know you wrote that you liked the ski.
To my taste, it's the perfect compromise ski; enough tracking, good enough turner, rocker, stiffer than the original Eon, but not too stiff. But it's different than the Eon — the only thing they have in common is the sidecut... I really like that ski indeed...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:58 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:35 pm
fisheater wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:29 pm
To my taste, it's the perfect compromise ski; enough tracking, good enough turner, rocker, stiffer than the original Eon, but not too stiff. But it's different than the Eon — the only thing they have in common is the sidecut... I really like that ski indeed...
Thanks fellas, I'm getting to know the Panorama 62, I just have never skied something similar to compare it to. I came from either Nordic track skiing or alpine. It is the most downhill oriented Nordic ski I have ever tried. The public land I use the M62 on has about 300 feet of vertical. Looking for some bigger hills or maybe a small resort that I like to try the Voile cables and dropping the knee.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:48 am

Just a note on the current Madshus XCD models (62/68/78)-

Just recently received confirmation from a reputable dealer (Akers in ME) that the current models are identical to the old Eon/Epoch/Annum with the Omintrack base (which were identical to the original Karhu XCD GT/10th Mtn/Guide).

There was a temporary run of redesigned "Panorama" 62/68 (don't know that this ever included a 78 model) that had the same sidecut- but a different rocker-camber geometry , flex and build- they also had a waxable base and Madshus' kicker skin insert. @Rodbelan I am pretty sure that the "Eon" Rod is speaking of above is this ski (not the Eon)- correct?

I am under the impression that these new 62/68 models were not manufactured this year- everything I have seen for sale this season was leftover stock (I wish I had bought a set!)

Of note- to make it even more confusing- is that Madshus continued to make the 62/68/78 in the old designs at the same time as they made the new "Panorama" 62/68 and were called the Eon 62/Epoch 68/Annum 78 for a couple of seasons before being called the M62/M68/M78 this year...(I am assuming that the "Eon" name has actually been dropped and is now just the "M62"?)

Regardless- my source confirms that the current "M62" = "Eon 62"= "Eon" = "XCD GT" (last gen) - regadless of the "new" lengths ( and I doubt that the lengths are actually different...)

BTW- does anybody know if the "62" is still available with a sintered waxable base (i.e. "Eon Wax")?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.