The French invasion

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: The French invasion

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:22 am

There's some basic huts and cabins available in the SEPAQ park for the relatively poor. A youth hostel in Murdoch as well (the sea shack is now closed for winter). To tell you the truth I mostly go on hut-to-hut backcountry touring trips (i'm new to hunting turns) in the Parc de la Gaspésie, helps to get away from the crowd but as the park is now pushing harder to get people out here, you often have to share the hut space (usually 8 people max) with another group that gets all their goodies delivered by snowmobile. Anywho, I know what you are talking about LJ: the hype. It's booming, and it was not really like that 5 years ago. They got a guide book out to of all the glades so you got these neon pow hunters on 3 grand equipment all over the place. Better come visit now before it truly gets out of hand!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:29 am

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if it was bearded guys with leather shoes... But it's BD / Subaru / Dynafit fest over there...

This is the main hotel, with some cabins in the back... It's a really nice place... Not a town around. The only place near the mountains.

Gite du Mont-Albert

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:32 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't mind if it was bearded guys with leather shoes... But it's BD / Subaru / Dynafit fest over there...

This is the main hotel, with some cabins in the back... It's a really nice place... Not a town around. The only place near the mountains.

Gite du Mont-Albert

That's it, but very easy to ignore when you are there.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:33 am

Not my idea of rustic, but if they have a hot tub, I'm in...

Oh and now Subaru made the list! Goddammit! Oh wait, Subaru hate is a Ronism...

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:44 am

MikeK wrote:Not my idea of rustic, but if they have a hot tub, I'm in...

Oh and now Subaru made the list! Goddammit! Oh wait, Subaru hate is a Ronism...
Ok know. My turf ain't perfect, granted. But I'd like to try and balance things out here a little. Unfortunately, i sill don't know how to add pictures on this site. But yeh, when you talk of the Chic-chocs, I guess it's kinda like talking of the ADKs. Now i bet they is some huge mutha hotel in the daks somewhere right? So what, you sleep in your tent or hut and go around it. no big deal!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:54 am

Oh man, don't get me started on the Adirondacks - Lake Placid is about the most <insert some snobby, elistist crap here> town you can imagine. I'm by no means saying they do it any better or worse.

Our park is a blend of public and private. It's really strange actually. You can be 10 miles from no where, or in a hot tub sipping a scotch. It has it all - mega rich ultra super camps and dirt poor hillbillies. Vast wilderness and upscale resorts. It's meant to be a blend, so you just choose.

Yes we stay in hotels during the winter (my wife won't camp out) but during every other season we usually backpack or canoe trip. I say usually because we do spend some time with family doing campground trips or bombing around town.

I'm also by no means an environmentally responsible person for doing what I do. I drive my car so many miles to do these types of trips. I'm hoping some day I can live closer, or in that area... it just so happens the only real skills I have are the exact ones I want to keep out of places like that (engineering, tech, manufacturing) - and I'm pretty much worthless at anything else...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:05 am

Lake Placid is about the most <insert some snobby, elistist crap here> town you can imagine.
The wife LOVES Lake Placid... Especially the nice outdoor olympic skating ring... ; )

We stayed at the classy Crowne Plaza last time... Trying to act our age... For 65$ a night, we couldn't resist playing the game and having a few Grand Marniers at the bar... : )

I'm crazy about the upper mountain at Whiteface... And the racing trail is *awesome* for telly carving...!
100_7365.jpg

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:04 am

Oh, I forgot about the Alpina guys here in QC. I doubt they will let you buy from them but you can tell them I'd like to buy a pair of NNNBC Alaska size 43 if it can be of any help... : )

You can contact them at cs@elansports.ca

If you want to post pictures, just use the IMG button above and put the link to your image in between. Or use the "Upload attachement" tab below if your pics are not already uploaded somewhere...

Mike, you said you were a car guy... Are you a pro or anti Subaru guy? (Subtly trying to get you back on the fun track... : )

I have to say I wouldn't mind driving this one:
0115.jpg

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:00 pm

I'm not a huge Subaru fan or anything, but I have a Forester... it's OK - I prefer driving this car though:

And no, no... I'm not a rich guy. It's my summer whip. I bought it for $2k on eBay... it needed a valve job, new shocks, exhaust, all sorts of crap... I fixed her up and gave it a shine. It's still a 20' car at best (meaning it looks like shit any closer than 20').

Only some minor surgery, some cheap and easy to find parts (some from junkyards), and a few hours of grease monkeying and I have a car with no rust and about 80k miles with a fresh engine.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Minor surgery?!?

I don't know about you guys in the US... But I live in a typical ski town. And like all the other ski towns around, EVERYONE here drives a Subaru... I have nothing against it, I just don't like trendy stuff... But you figured that out already...

Man, you sure must look great in that car in the summer blasting "Living Loving Maid" at 11!