Asnes Mountain Race 48 - First Time Questions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
paranoidhb

Asnes Mountain Race 48 - First Time Questions

Post by paranoidhb » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. This forum is awesome and has been very informative thus far - I have tried to base some of my decisions based on the experts here :D

I started nordic skiing last year and do a mix of on-track and off-track activities in US (primarily Montana, Vermont and Oregon). Most of the time, we head to a mountainous resort, climb up somewhat steep gradients (blues / blacks), head out off-track exploring and then come down the same gradients downhill.

Last season, I used a friend's Rossi Evo XC 50s, but I decided to buy my own skis and invested in a Asnes Mountain Race 48 (regulars, not the ones with the integrated skins). I also ended up buying the NIS Touring Auto Combi Bindings and the NIS Mounting Plates for the skis. In addition, I bought the 30mm Asnes X-Skin Mohair recently. Apart from the skis, nothing else has been shipped. So, I could potentially return / cancel them.

Had a few questions based on some additional information that I have read until date. Since this is my first time skiing on skins, please pardon my ignorance.
  • Would the 30mm Mohair skins provide sufficient grip or am I better off investing in 45mm ones?
  • Should I be buying both full length skins as well as X-Skins since I can't really predict the ski conditions at these resorts?
  • Do I need to consider waxing the skis or are just the skins sufficient for the steeper climbs? (I have also invested in skin protectors)
  • What is the typical protocol? Put on the skins while climbing up and then take the skins out while going downhill? What do you do for shorter ups / downs?
  • Is there a place which describes how the skin-lock works? Once I take out the skins, how do I put them back on if we decide to go back up the mountain after coming down? Are there any special procedures? Dry them etc?
  • In general, for those of you who have had experience with MR48s, are there any other tips that you can provide to a first time owner?
Thanks and appreciate all the help!

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48 - First Time Questions

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:51 am

paranoidhb wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:31 pm
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. This forum is awesome and has been very informative thus far - I have tried to base some of my decisions based on the experts here :D
Hi @paranoidhb and welcome, (former) MR48 owner, still MR48-adjacent by marriage, and long-term musk ox here, moo.
Would the 30mm Mohair skins provide sufficient grip or am I better off investing in 45mm ones?
30mm mohair skins are the sweet spot for those skis and will absolutely give you all the grip you need for the flats and not-too-steep hills on trails. They grip better than a standard wax job. They're not really meant to be a solution for 'proper' ascents and steep angles, though. You'll need wider skins for actual mountains.

The length of your skis + your weight are a factor, too: 45mm mohair skins on my 190cm MR48s dragged so much, striding and descending, on anything other than good 3D snow, that the fun went out of it. My skis were too short: too much contact between mohair and snow because I was too heavy, presumably. But my wife, with the same length skis and a few less kilos of lard, didn't have the same problem with identical skins. 45mm mohair skins glide fine on my longer, wider skis in the right conditions.

In short, 30mm mohair skins trimmed to the heel can be magical, virtually wax replacements in the right conditions and terrain. 45mm skins are surprisingly good climbing skins. And if your MR48s are long enough, I assume 45mm skins can glide nicely if you trim them to the heel.
Should I be buying both full length skins as well as X-Skins since I can't really predict the ski conditions at these resorts?
No. You could theoretically buy full length skins If you want to go up very high and come down very fast – but the MR48s aren't the skis you'd want coming down from anywhere high enough and steep enough to require full-length skins, especially without beefier boots and bindings than the ones you've very reasonably chosen.

If I understand what you want to do correctly, you really won't need full length skins at all.
Do I need to consider waxing the skis or are just the skins sufficient for the steeper climbs? (I have also invested in skin protectors)
30mm will be rather underpowered for going up proper mountains (not that you'd do that on MR48s anyway). 45mm will probably be enough to get you where you want to go. If it's 'a proper climb', a little Polar on the tips and tails won't make much difference if you have already skins on, to be honest. But many here swear by tip-to-tail Polar with the wax of the day in the middle. You may have to resort to skins eventually, but you'll be the last to do it! It's a good method for hilly terrain. But you'll still want skins for 'proper' mountains. Put it that way.
What is the typical protocol? Put on the skins while climbing up and then take the skins out while going downhill? What do you do for shorter ups / downs?
Yes. And in some circumstances no. Generally yes, take them off at the top, because whee and ooh and ha haaaaa and woah shit wheeee oop fuck I almost died ha ha that was the best, let's have a pizza. Skins can also act as a brake, and with skis as light as the MR48 you might perhaps, in some conditions, find it useful to keep them on on the way down. For mixed ups and downs, a lot depends on conditions. You'll almost certainly just want to keep the skins on because it's less of a pain in the arse.

Is there a place which describes how the skin-lock works? Once I take out the skins, how do I put them back on if we decide to go back up the mountain after coming down? Are there any special procedures? Dry them etc?
The second you put them on you'll be like 'Oh, I see'. It's simple. The Åsnes page is pretty good. You can stick the skins adhesive to adhesive when you take them off, stuff them in your jacket pocket, and dry them out when you get home.

In general, for those of you who have had experience with MR48s, are there any other tips that you can provide to a first time owner?
Crack is a less expensive and less addictive gateway drug.
Last edited by Musk Ox on Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoidhb

Post by paranoidhb » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:45 pm

You had me rolling at the "crack" comment! Your reply is incredible and very informative. Thanks so much Musk Ox! With all that Qiviut, sounds like you are born for skiing :)

I am trying them on next Saturday and will update you on how I fare :D

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:19 pm

paranoidhb wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:45 pm
You had me rolling at the "crack" comment! Your reply is incredible and very informative. Thanks so much Musk Ox! With all that Qiviut, sounds like you are born for skiing :)

I am trying them on next Saturday and will update you on how I fare :D
I cannot wait for the update! They're really so much fun.

I have a hat that my wife knitted me from qiviut/ musk ox wool we bought on our trip to Greenland and it's completely amazing.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:39 pm

I have a hat that my wife knitted me from qiviut/ musk ox wool we bought on our trip to Greenland and it's completely amazing.
[/quote]

I’m trying to figure out what is more completely amazing, that a man in 2022 has a hat his wife hand knitted, or that it is knitted from musk ox wool!
You sir are living large, in the grand musk ox tradition!

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:58 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:39 pm
I’m trying to figure out what is more completely amazing, that a man in 2022 has a hat his wife hand knitted, or that it is knitted from musk ox wool!
You sir are living large, in the grand musk ox tradition!
My wife knitted me hats, woolen mittens and sweaters in the Selbu pattern. Search for "Selbu Mittens". Double layer interwoven wool. They are warm and breathable. Not waterproof but keep warm even when wet. I love them.
Pretty common in Scandinavia actually.
Never heard of Musk Ox wool though :D

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:39 am

My wife does intricate nordic jumpers and selbu patterns, hats, avant garde scarves with hoods...

Here's my hat! It's looking a bit fluffy now because I accidentally washed it at 40°C.

Musk ox wool is ridiculously expensive. It only comes from hunted animals or from bushes they've rubbed up against in the spring. It's incredibly soft.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294364900315?n ... 7675.l2557

From Åsnes skis to musk ox wool hats in three posts is probably a forum record for random digressions.

paranoidhb

Post by paranoidhb » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:39 pm

Hi Musk Ox, hope things are well! So, after 3 days of skiing on MR48s, I love these skis!

First day in Pacific North West was very icy, it had not snowed for a week or so. The 30mm skins struggled a bit while going uphill in steeper situations but mostly did not give me any major issues. Had to do herringbones quite a bit but the metal edges definitely seemed to help.

Second and third day were significantly better. It snowed over night on both of the days and there was fresh powder. I only slipped on steeper surfaces a bit while using tracks but the skins held up at all off-track situations.

Didnt take off the skins at most places due to laziness - hopefully, I have not ruined them. But they did not give me any issue while going down. Yes, I did feel that the speed was a bit lower, but it did give me a grip in a few tickier situations.

Only challenge I am having now is that X-Skin adhesive somehow seems weaker. I need to figure out if I need to replace the adhesive.

Thanks again for the recommendations!