Carbon fiber poles vs. aluminum?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Carbon fiber poles vs. aluminum?

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:45 pm

Never had a pair of carbon poles, been using the basic Flicklocks for 20+ years. I do recall handling some carbons in the the shop; seemed like there was a noticeable difference in swing weight... but I see they're only an ounce or two lighter.
I'm interested in hearing your experience if you've used both.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Carbon fiber poles vs. aluminum?

Post by riel » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:01 pm

When you lean on them too hard, aluminum bends, while carbon fiber breaks.

Aluminum might be a little more robust against catastrophic failure, maybe?

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:05 am

Carbon telescopic poles usually have aluminum uppers and carbon lowers, so the weight difference may not be as high as one might expect. Carbon is stronger and stiffer than aluminum, so at the same weight a carbon pole one is stronger. If you bend a carbon pole enough against a sharp edge or with enough force it will break, but it is stiffer and will deform less when sued/leaned on. An aluminum pole deflects and often bends at a lower force, but can possibly be bent back, but will bend easier next time and fail after a major bend or after a few bends/straightens. A bent telescopic pole is annoying, so I'd prefer a carbon lower that stays straight, but it depends on how dangerous a catastrophic failure is for your use. I have an old pair of Life Links and much prefer the swing weight of them compared to aluminum from the same time. Aluminum is recyclable.

Releasable straps can also be very nice by the way.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:52 am

As others point out: Carbon fibre is stronger but breaks catastrophically when it does.
I'm kind of heavy so my equipment suffers.

My first XC -BC poles were some kind of Leki composite ones. They were very nice and light but broke in a crash and I had to one-pole out, fortunately only for a few km. They lasted about a year.

Then I tried with different aluminium poles (Swix Mountain, Åsnes Fram) which bent in crashes and I never got them straight again. Once they are bent beyond the elastic limit once, you cannot straighten them without weakening them. If you lean too heavy on them they just bend through. That said they did NOT fail completely while on tour. They lasted about 6 months to a year.

After two years with Alu poles I got Åsnes Spidsbergen Expedition carbon/kevlar poles. These have lasted for 5 years and the carbon part is still fine. The grips failed, and I replaced them with conventional XC grips from swix (using PU hot glue). Seeing new Åsnes Amundsen carbon/kevlar poles with new grips with on the fly adjustable strap lengths at half recommended price, I got a new pair of these and my Spidsbergen poles are now used just for XC track skiing, with conventional XC track baskets.

The main potential weakness of these carbon/kevlar poles are sharp edges. The ski edges could wear them down fast. I put some gorilla tape around the kevlar the 10cm above the baskets to provide extra protection. I have quite a lot of faith in them now.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:29 am

Thank you for the feedback so far. I'm actually well aware of the relative strength and structural properties of the two types, I'm wondering more about whether the carbons actually feel better to use, given the difference in swing weight.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:32 am

Hey Phoenix, I have and like the older flintlocks, but if you want to treat yourself to new poles I think going lighter will be a noticeable improvement. I bought two pairs of new K2 poles for back East last season for my wife and I. One was aluminum, the other carbon fiber. I liked both of them better than the BDs. The locking mechanism was just as good as on the flintlock and I liked the straps better on the K2s. Where I need to adjust the straps on the flintlocks to get them to lay flat, the K2s go on right every time. The weight savings on the carbon fiber ones is worthwhile, but not a gamechanger. This model had a built in inclinometer and adjusted from 110 to 130. I wasn't crazy about the bright green baskets though, they clashed with my outfit, but I used them anyway.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:08 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:32 am
Hey Phoenix, I have and like the older flintlocks,
Davey Crockett, pioneer and tele skier!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:01 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:08 pm
[quote="lowangle al" post_id=49167 time=<a href="tel:1646469152">1646469152</a> user_id=172]
Hey Phoenix, I have and like the older flintlocks,
Davey Crockett, pioneer and tele skier!
[/quote]
BDB10C7A-FFAF-47A7-8703-AD4B89A99ED6.jpeg
Lol, I never was good at names. Judging by my knife I was more of a Jim Bowie guy.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Nice kit there Al! Came across a deadfall today and kinda wished I'd had my Leuku, 'bout the size of that Bowie. A lighter weight option, kinda like the carbon/aluminum comparison. Thanks for the take on the poles, that's what I was wondering... those K2's seem hard to find right now, but the noticeable difference in feel is my primary question. Might need to take the 60 mile drive to the nearest good BC store soon to handle both poles to find out for sure.

FGD, I much appreciate the humor catching of the perils of spellcheck!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:32 pm

I do not know if I am off topic, but when you ski boiler plate (at the resort for exemple), carbon poles are great because they are smoother on the pole plant on the descent; alu makes it kind of stiff (boing, boing type of pole plant).
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique