Powder Touring Ski? Voile Hyper V6 BC?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Powder Touring Ski? Voile Hyper V6 BC?

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:04 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:42 am
dave52 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:22 pm
...A setup of Altai Kom's @ 174cm with NNN-BC Fischer Transnordics has my attention...
Just a caution: hopefully others who have tried it will respond, but you might be under-powering a 100 underfoot ski, especially if conditions get variable, with NNN-BC (even with Transnordics). I have not tried it, so I might be wrong.
It's certainly condition dependent, and he has two other pairs of skis to fall back on when it gets firm. But for the soft and deep snow the lighter boot should be fine, especially if you aren't looking for a lot of downhill precision.

Gt, do you think the e99 is a better trail breaking ski than the USGI or the Ingstad?

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 pm

Al, pretty sure gramps thinks e99s can do anything. cold fusion? room temperature superconductors? faster than light travel? e99 can do it.

esnichols1

Post by esnichols1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

This thread has been super helpful!

I now realize that I want to do a few things and none of them overlap. I have a small quiver, so this should have been obvious! Some of the recs so far are:

Steep and Deep (not the route in my photo)
Voile V6 (Better powder, steep, trees)
Voile hyper vector (better touring)
Altai Kom

Mild Steep/Mild Deep
Go for longer skis like
E99 (Transnordic 66)
Asnes Falketind XPlore
Asnes Ingstad
Fischer S-Bound 112

A few more skis were suggested to me by my local shops with a focus more on resort uphilling (groomed runs and powder on top of groomed runs, and the idea that you go all the way up and then all the way down), which in a way is the type of skiing I hope to do more of. 

Does anyone have experience with these skis in an uphilling context?

Resort Uphilling
Kastle TX93
Voile Hyper Vector
Dynafit Blacklight 95 
DPS Pagoda Tour 94 

It's tough, as I can't really demo any of these in my area right now. All are a bit too specialized. 

And I'm getting boot fit this weekend, so all is very TBD in that area. I have Alaska's but something is off for me right now so I'll probably be stepping up to a new hard boot of some kind. Maybe Tele, maybe AT, depending on the setup and boot fitter recs.
Last edited by esnichols1 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:34 pm

connyro wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 pm
Al, pretty sure gramps thinks e99s can do anything. cold fusion? room temperature superconductors? faster than light travel? e99 can do it.
Dude, one of these days, you’re going to be gramps and I can just about guarantee that the future young wiper snappers that are taking our world to hell in a hand basket will not think you’re as hip as you think you might be. Try and remember that “What goes around comes around.”
Peace out…

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:18 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:34 pm
connyro wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 pm
Dude, one of these days, you’re going to be gramps and I can just about guarantee that the future young wiper snappers that are taking our world to hell in a hand basket will not think you’re as hip as you think you might be. Try and remember that “What goes around comes around.”
Peace out…
LOL. I AM old as hell, just really immature. Now get off my lawn.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:19 pm

@esnichols1
Just so you get another opinion. The FT Xplore will easily out kick and glide the S-112, it is a better downhill ski as well. I really like it, however I would not put it in the downhill class of a Vector or a ski of that class. At least when your downhill is steep and deep. The S-112 has good scales, but I could get better grip and glide with wax after the first couple times playing with wax. After a few years, there is no comparison.
The benefits of waxless are around 32 degrees and above. If you are climbing steep enough to need skins you can’t use soft kick wax or klister. The solution on a waxable ski is an X-skin.
I have a waxable ski that is 86 mm underfoot. It serves my steep and deep well. If I decided to go to a Vector, I would probably get scales. 86 mm underfoot isn’t too much to wax, but it’s getting close.

mikesee
Ski style: Tours for turns

Post by mikesee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:59 am

Last year I had Kom's in 174 and Voile Objective BC's in 178.

Liked both -- skied both off piste, yo-yo'ing for turns -- but ultimately felt they were both too much ski for me.

Replaced them this year. Now I'm on V6 BC in 163, and Kom in 162.

Skied the V6's a bunch -- never with skins, but always using the traction pattern to climb everything we descend. Freaking love these skis. They're really, really turny, and yet they float really nice in knee to thigh deep snow.

I rarely ski anything above 30*. I've been backcountry skiing a long time, and just don't have any interest in effing around with stuff that can slide. I've lost friends and have too many friends with near-miss stories to count. The wife and I cap it at 30*.

Got the Kom's because my wife has had hers for two seasons, and I had a bit of FOMO. Wanted to try them side by side/back to back with the V6's since on paper they are so similar.

Alas since they've arrived we haven't gotten diddly for new snow, and our snowpack has transitioned into spring melt/freeze. So I won't likely be able to compare them until next season.

But the V6 BC's are the best money I spent this year, and put a smile on my face every time I ski 'em.

esnichols1

Post by esnichols1 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:26 pm

mikesee wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:59 am
I rarely ski anything above 30*. I've been backcountry skiing a long time, and just don't have any interest in effing around with stuff that can slide. I've lost friends and have too many friends with near-miss stories to count. The wife and I cap it at 30*.
Your use case sounds somewhat similar to me. I want to keep exploring and stay out of avi terrain (though I have taken classes and plan on taking more, mostly to avoid it).

I'm thinking more and more though that I'll use these skis for resort uphilling. Mitigate some of the BC risks from steeper terrain. I'm fortunate to have a lot of good options near me, including a few resorts that allow it during the day,

Were you considering any other skis when you got the V6s?

mikesee
Ski style: Tours for turns

Post by mikesee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:31 pm

esnichols1 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:26 pm
mikesee wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:59 am
Were you considering any other skis when you got the V6s?

All of the Voile BC skis were on the table.

The V6's seemed like the most versatile for my needs. I love 'em.

jalp

Post by jalp » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:40 pm

[/quote]

All of the Voile BC skis were on the table.

The V6's seemed like the most versatile for my needs. I love 'em.
[/quote]

Well, that's good to hear! I just received a pair of V6 BC 173cm a few days ago. There's a rumor of 2"+ overnight in our area. Hardly qualifies as a powder day but I'm going to have to give them a run tomorrow. What's your impression of the V6 in firmer conditions?