best bindings for Lundhags Husky/Guide 87-91mm?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: best bindings for Lundhags Husky/Guide 87-91mm?

Post by fgd135 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:06 am

I've used both the NATO 120s and the Erä type bindings, for a few tours, with stiff supportive flexible -soled mountain boots, not those nice warm Lundhags. These were mounted on a couple pair of K2 prototype XC backcountry skis.
Support with both bindings was similar, imho, with the NATO 120 slightly better because of the cables v. the neoprene straps on the Erä. The 120 toepiece can be adjusted to fit the soles of various different boot types, although I would not want to have to do that on the trail, as it's clumsy at best. The Erä I used was fixed for width, which is not a problem with those dedicated Husky boot toes.
Getting into and out of both seemed about the same, but the front cable throw on the 120 was easier to use while wearing a big pack and on steeper terrain. But not that much better than the side throw type.
Touring felt about the same with both. I suppose the ability to turn a ski with either would be more dependent on the boot than anything else. Can't remember the wt differences, as the Erä binding I had was Finnish Army issue and made with thick steel binding plates, and that Nato binding is also not exactly lightwt.
With my 75mm-width boots, I routinely use USGI Asnes MT65 skis with the NATO 98 binding, (the same as the old Rottefella Riva I cable bindings). It's a very good touring binding, and a decent tele binding with ltwt. skis and leather boots. On a couple of occasions, I have twisted my Alico boots out of the toepieces, however, which I think was due to faulty cable adjustment on my part, as the cables will stretch a bit when first used. Btw, it's important to have a suitable wrench along when using these since the cable length adjustment cinches with a hex nut. Ask me how I know this? Lucky for me, when this happened the first time and I didn't have a wrench, I was only about a half Km from the car.
As far as 75mm cable bindings go, Voile used to make a cable-only version of the Mountaineer 3 pin, with a fixed bail and no pins. Didn't work with very thick soles boots, but generally had a nice feel to it.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

snowplow

Re: best bindings for Lundhags Husky/Guide 87-91mm?

Post by snowplow » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:23 pm

Old thread, but the bindings are fairly new. The Nordigrips do accomodate Husky 90s very nicely when set up for use with rubber boots. They even kind of sort of accomodate the Ski March boots:
nordigrip.jpg
Not exactly light at 500 g apiece, but I think they are compatible with the Voile springs/heel assembly, which would most likely be a little bit lighter.