NNN BC binding action quality control

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dave52

NNN BC binding action quality control

Post by dave52 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:08 pm

The lever on the NNN BC bindings I've mounted seems to vary quite a bit, with how smoothly they open and close. I just slapped a pair of new Rottefella NNN BC magnums on some skis, and right out of the box the quality control is low, one binding is smooth, and the other seems like it needs 3x the force, and is "clicking" while closing. Add ice and snow to the mix while snapping boots in, and the issue is amplified. All of my NNN BC bindings seem to behave differently.

Working the action, I can see where the toe bar is received by the binding, this part opens and closes and different rates comparing all my NNN BC magnum bindings. It's frustrating to see this type of slop amongst the same product.

Anyone else ran into this? Not sure if something is loose, or perhaps needs to be lubed up.

pmoakley
Ski style: Sketchy
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR 46

Re: NNN BC binding action quality control

Post by pmoakley » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:08 pm

I believe there have been some issues with the most recent batches of NNN-BC bindings from my experience and what I heard at Neptune. I have them on two sets of skis and the most recently mounted pair is giving me a lot of trouble fully locking in the toe bar but they seem to be breaking in with use.

dave52

Post by dave52 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:37 pm

pmoakley wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:08 pm
I believe there have been some issues with the most recent batches of NNN-BC bindings from my experience and what I heard at Neptune. I have them on two sets of skis and the most recently mounted pair is giving me a lot of trouble fully locking in the toe bar but they seem to be breaking in with use.
Oh, interesting... and great to hear, also in same boat, they seem to be loosening up.

One binding in particular was really stiff. I feel bad, a friend went out with me and they decided to flip back a ways in, stepped out of bindings to walk down steeps, and couldn't get one boot to rebind, so ended up walking out in deep snow, not awesome. I'm sure there was some ice in the toe bar, but looked at the binding and it took a considerable force to snap down.

I ended up remounting this pair and that helped a lot, although they had a noticeable gap and volcanoes. These were my first binding mount last year, and basically did everything you shouldn't: fastened them with the camber squashed down against a flat surface, didn't work the screws through holes, no clamp to hold binding to skis, used a drill AND a non pozi driver, yikes.

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Sat May 07, 2022 6:44 pm

The Magnums I have for my forest skis I think I bought 3 or so years ago. These require A LOT of force to close.

We have three mounted pairs of Manual and two pairs of unmounted Manuals. The last two pairs (unmounted) are noticeably looser, than the ones we have used for a few years. Although one pair of these is slightly looser than the others.

🤷‍♂️