Tele/XCD hack thread?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
エイダン.シダル

Tele/XCD hack thread?

Post by エイダン.シダル » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:27 pm

Behold! The unholy union of my old resort alpine skis, and Voile Cable Telemark bindings I pulled from NATO Kahru surplus skis. Too late now to use them in Southern Ontario. Mounted pins at balance point, for lack of a better idea. Epoxy and chopsticks to fill the old holes.

I have little Telemark technique, so these are to play around on. As alpine skis they were always too short, which should make turning them easier. I don't expect too much. Waist is 70mm: 112-70-96, 175cm tall.

Alico NATO surplus Snow March boots go with these.

I bet someone's built odder.
20220322_165219.jpg
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Tele/XCD hack thread?

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 pm

They are already mounted, but how does the boot center line up with the boot center line? How did BP line up with chord center? I’m not suggesting you change mounting point, just suggesting other things that may confirm your mounting point.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:30 pm

If the ski is too stiff, it will not ski well with your feet more equally balanced doing Telemark turns as opposed to downhill ski weighting technique used in alpine skiing.
I was surprised to learn that I just could not ski my old alpine mid fats.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:16 pm

You're not wrong about the complications of mounting, but as I said, 'I'm not expecting much'. Besides, taking a TLAR approach ('that looks about right') my feet are in the same place, albeit for a different technique. Or more honestly, given my experience, and Southern Ontario's confined terrain, I'm probably doing more alpine turns.

Was aware too of the different behaviour of the skis, but it should help that I far overpowered them in alpine. More to the point, this experiment is free: I already had the pieces.

Enough about my hack. I want to see others'.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:24 am

I don't know what other skis you ski, but those should be a big improvement over anything double camber. Alpine skis turn with a lot less input then your typical xcd ski.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:02 am

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:24 am
I don't know what other skis you ski, but those should be a big improvement over anything double camber. Alpine skis turn with a lot less input then your typical xcd ski.
175cm parabolic alpine skis can't be harder to turn than the 200cm Kahru surplus skis I first tried the bindings and boots on!

Otherwise, I've got 200cm Åsnes Gamme and 189cm Fischer S Bound Outabound 88 - both with NNN BC bindings, and a pair of Alpina Alaska. I can't say how well they tele, both because I lack technique, and I'm skiing eastern trails where there isn't the room.
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:03 pm

I'm don't think I'd call it a "hack" though, to me it's business as usual. Back in the 80's people used to ski alpine slalom skis with light cable bindings and leather boots. I've been doing it since the early 90's. I think you're onto something, let us know how it works.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:57 pm

Perfectly fine option, IMHO. I have long been a voice questioning the universal adaptation of boot sole center on ski recommended center for freewheel applications. Personally, I typically find chord center, or if one wants a little more "modern" post; ball of foot on chord center, more balanced and versatile overall. Allowing one to tele or parallel comfortably. Interesting to actually measure and see how the three compare on various skis, as suggested above.

Robie

Post by Robie » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:16 pm

Seattle street skis. Knissel "magic shorts"
Front throw cable . Garmont Excursions.
Extreme scratches on bases.
20220330_203543.jpg
Street skis

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:22 pm

Nice! This is what I'm looking for in the thread: IDGAF what happens to them skis, low-investment, sitting around and put to use. 'Ride them hard. Put them away wet.'