Telehiro on Xplore

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Telehiro on Xplore

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:31 am

I like...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Re: Telehiro on Xplore

Post by 12gaugesage » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:26 pm

That guy is a pretty talented skier, his vids are great. He looked good, but he also looks good on NNN/XC kit.

Is it any more powerful than NNNBC with the same boot? Will more powerful boots ever emerge for this system?

I'd hate to fumble around with the bumpers in powder....
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:01 pm

12gaugesage wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:26 pm
That guy is a pretty talented skier, his vids are great. He looked good, but he also looks good on NNN/XC kit.

Is it any more powerful than NNNBC with the same boot? Will more powerful boots ever emerge for this system?

I'd hate to fumble around with the bumpers in powder....
In a system that would cost me 160% (Lacordee.com - Alaska NNN BC and NNN BC manual bindings, versus Alaska Xplore and bindings) the bumper management is unacceptable.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:19 pm

I agree, if one bumper doesn't work for both touring and turns it wouldn't be worth it to me, even if it had more precision. People currently are happily touring for turns with nnn-bc and 3 pin or cable bindings.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:41 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:19 pm
I agree, if one bumper doesn't work for both touring and turns it wouldn't be worth it to me, even if it had more precision. People currently are happily touring for turns with nnn-bc and 3 pin or cable bindings.
Although the design allows for replacing worn bumpers (like NNN, NNN BC, SNS...) it should've changed stiffness by flipping a switch: perhaps raising a piece under the bumper, rather than finicky, easily lost pieces. Then there's the problems with the pins people report. That's a couple of huge fails for a far more expensive system.

I'll consider an iteration that fixes these things if it skis better than NNN BC and 75mm, isn't heavier, and doesn't cost so much more.

This won't happen.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:22 am

I'm ok with changing the flex for a long ascent with continuous decent tour, but would prefer a mode switch depending on price and reliability. Changing the flex before heading out is also fine, but I think currently only the standard flex is usable for uphill or flat skiing, and want a flex with resistance between the standard and hard flex for all-round skiing with some steeper descents.

Xplore bidning pricing should be much closer to NNN-BC, but Rottefella probably want to recap some of the investment. The price on boots are not that different from the equivalent BC boots, but there seems to be a 5-10% premium on Xplore. I think the very high price of the binding will hamper adoption and hope it will be lower next year. I have been on 75mm (Super Telemark, Riva, Chili, Switchback and 75mm cable) since I started skiing and telemark, and was contemplating NNN-BC for narrower skis and touring skates, but Xplore fits well. After trying Xplore on skates and backcountry skis I expect to go Xplore and NTN for all my use. I think I will also buy a wider ski ala Falketind/Rabb/S-bound and a boot ala Alfa Free in addition to touring skates, Åsnes Ousland and Fischer E109/TN82.