T2 Ecos as a boot quiver of one?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Spiny Norman

T2 Ecos as a boot quiver of one?

Post by Spiny Norman » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:18 pm

I'm going to assume the t2s ski pretty well but do they climb and tour reasonably well?

I'd use them for inbounds skinning when I'm feeling "not so confidant" on my nnn-bc Alaskas and skinny skis and maybe some CCC trails like Cardigan.

Not doing t4s or Excursions again. Too in between for me.

Cheers

spopepro

Re: T2 Ecos as a boot quiver of one?

Post by spopepro » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:07 pm

Like all compromises, the devil is in the details of what "reasonably well" means to you.

I ski T2 Ecos as my resort boot. Mostly with X2 Switchbacks and sometimes with 3pins both with and without cables. It's more than enough boot for me in challenging downhills, though it does require attention at times. I find that I'm really happy to tour with them on low angle stuff. When it gets steeper the lack of cuff flexibility is rough, and 3pins are right out. It may also help me that they fit my feet exceptionally well from day 1 with no modification.

This is, precisely, the gap the magical TTS purpose built touring boot that has been "coming next season" from scarpa since 2016 should fill.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:59 pm

I have never skied the T2 Eco. I had a pair of T2X's, briefly... I wasn't fond of the cuff and instep flex balance. I skied a few generations of the earlier T2's, two buckles, three buckles, and skied them comfortably and confidently at the resort or side/backcountry. I'd say those qualify as a quiver of one, as you're describing; the Eco's should be similar, and suitable if you like the fit and feel.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 pm

It's my only "big" boot. I love it. I use it for everything inbounds, outtabounds, whatever with X2's and Axls/Vice. I don't pair it with skinny skis and 3-pin only bindings though, it's just too powerful. Doesn't mean you can't do it, but it's a downhill touring boot. Switch into walk mode for slower skiing, etc. I switch back and forth depending on terrain and ski equipment.

As mentioned, particularly spectacular fit for my foot type-- skinny heel wide forefoot.

If you're a big muscular guy and you want to shred big ass lines on big skis you'll want a stiffer 4 buckle boot.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:21 pm

I've cycled through the whole gamut from Terminator 2's (1991) to my current Scarpa TX, which is the NTN version of the T2. I love it to death and with the power strap and top buckle loosened right off it has enough range of motion in touring for me. Mind you, if Scarpa finally comes out with a light, new Tele boot with the range of motion of their AT line I'll be all over it like a dirty shirt

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 am

As others have said, it's a great all around tele boot. I replaced both of my Garmonts, Excursions and Veloces, with T2 Ecos a few years ago, and am very pleased with the fit and versatility of the boots.
However well it tours on mountain terrain and on moderate and steep backcountry trails, and while carrying bigger packs, I don't think it's a sub for touring on easy/moderate trails; it's still plastic. Although it flexes much better than the Garmonts I owned, I wouldn't want to use it for everything, all the time.
Last edited by fgd135 on Mon May 30, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:57 pm

The T2 eco was my quiver of one boot for 5 to 7 years or more. I used them for everything, including the same trails that I'd xcd skied on light gear for years, skinning the steep bc and the resort skiing.

For k&g in plastic boots it helps to weight the cuff of your boot to get your weight onto the ball of your foot and the ski to set your kickwax and use the released energy in the boot to help your kick. With your gliding ski weight the back of the cuff to lighten your tips for better glide. I also use a shorter stride and a faster cadence than with light gear.

If you want to find how to get the most out of the boots for k&g, do it without using poles when its flat enough, and soon you'll be cruisen.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:06 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:21 pm
I've cycled through the whole gamut from Terminator 2's (1991) to my current Scarpa TX, which is the NTN version of the T2. I love it to death and with the power strap and top buckle loosened right off it has enough range of motion in touring for me. Mind you, if Scarpa finally comes out with a light, new Tele boot with the range of motion of their AT line I'll be all over it like a dirty shirt
Anybody out there own both the t2 terminator and eco? I have terminators that were basically never used and am wondering if there's enough of a difference that I need to get the current version. I'm already swimming in boots and want to say I have all bases covered but apparently the terminators are older than God

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:34 pm

The biggest difference will probably be in the alignment of the bellows. The older Scarpa boots’s bellows went rectulangulary across, but probably someone in Scarpa said “ hang on - people’s toe knuckles are on the diagonal”. So the later boots bellows are on a slant. I would ski the old boots and if they feel a bit hinky junk em. It’s so long ago I can’t remember how the original Terminators felt, apart from the stiffness after leather boots.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:08 pm

I took some new generation T2's on a mostly very low angle overnight trip (8 miles in, 8 miles out). Touring with those felt like a total slog compared to T4's. For low angle hilly and flat terrain I would recommend the T4's instead or leather boots depending on preference. The difference in touring efficiency and comfort was significant.

For trips that involve longer ascents, the T2's are fine. They don't have the greatest range of motion in the cuff, but you can push off of your toes and get the bellows flexing on the uphill.

I have only used T2's with free pivoting voile switchback bindings. I wonder if using them with 3 pin clamp style bindings would allow you to flex the bellows and push off of your toes. Or are the new generation T2's too stiff to take advantage of the resistance in a 3 pin clamp binding?