I want to buy ONE ski system only. please advise ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: I want to buy ONE ski system only. please advise ?

Post by fisheater » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:32 pm

AbnerLico wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:37 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:09 am
Yes- this resonates with my experience as well.

I have ordered Asnes skis from both Varuste in Finland and Sport Albert in Germany.

The prices at Varuste are unbeatable. The price on skis is unbeatable- the price on bindings is almost unbelievable.

The prices at Sport Albert are actually pretty competitive- prices posted on the site include VAT- the price excluing VAT will show up once you get to check out. Pricing is much less on skis than Canadian MSRP- bindings even less- with package deals.

I have also bought from both the Norseman and LaCordee and have been happy with the purchase- depsite the high price. I prefer to buy from CAN- and would most prefer to buy locally in Fredericton if I could get them.
Do you know where I can find used around southern Ontario gear besides Facebook and Kijiji?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195443840395

Smoking deal, you can always sell the Meidjo

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:29 pm

twopass wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:35 am
Lastly, if you go T-4, I recommend you look into the Voile Vector, v-6, or Objective.

After months of searching I just picked up a pair T4's from ASM Sports in Quebec. Stoked to ski them on some low mileage 72-80mm waisted skis I have stashed from the past.
Also have some Vector BC's and V6's. Be interesting to see if the T4's work out with the Vectors but no way I see myself being able to ski the V6's w/them. :lol:
Thanks for the heads up on the ASM site. That deal on the Scarpas was unbelievable. Unfortunately, they're sold out. Picked up a shirt instead.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:28 pm

AbnerLico wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:29 pm
twopass wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:35 am

After months of searching I just picked up a pair T4's from ASM Sports in Quebec.
That deal on the Scarpas was unbelievable.
I still pinching myself. :shock:
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:18 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:32 pm
AbnerLico wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:09 am
Yes- this resonates with my experience as well.

I have ordered Asnes skis from both Varuste in Finland and Sport Albert in Germany.

The prices at Varuste are unbeatable. The price on skis is unbeatable- the price on bindings is almost unbelievable.

The prices at Sport Albert are actually pretty competitive- prices posted on the site include VAT- the price excluing VAT will show up once you get to check out. Pricing is much less on skis than Canadian MSRP- bindings even less- with package deals.

I have also bought from both the Norseman and LaCordee and have been happy with the purchase- depsite the high price. I prefer to buy from CAN- and would most prefer to buy locally in Fredericton if I could get them.
Do you know where I can find used around southern Ontario gear besides Facebook and Kijiji?

I just checked out the Varuste sit for the first time. Yes, very excellent prices. I have found the cheapest pair of FIscher 98s. The binding prices are unbelievable $184 (CAD) for Rotte Xplore???? Way cheaper than anywhere else. Too bad they don't sell the Voile Hardwire which is what i am looking for. No Scarpa T4's (there going to be hard to find).

"Smoking deal, you can always sell the Meidjo"
- I have never shopped on Ebay as all the products are coming from the US and with the delivery costs (plus other hidden costs I don't want to take the chance)... Also $500 is the first bid, not sure how high this may reach. I just gave a shot at bidding for a pair of T4s (lost) but you have to be there right at to the end... The other thing is I think the V6s are more ski than I need.

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:43 pm

[/quote]

I am also starting to think that a better ski may be Asnes Falketind 62 Xplore. Their turn radius is much better than the 98's and fisheater seems to like them more than the 98's (in another review). They not much more expensive ...

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 pm

AbnerLico wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:18 pm
fisheater wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:32 pm
AbnerLico wrote:

I just checked out the Varuste sit for the first time. Yes, very excellent prices. I have found the cheapest pair of FIscher 98s. The binding prices are unbelievable $184 (CAD) for Rotte Xplore???? Way cheaper than anywhere else. Too bad they don't sell the Voile Hardwire which is what i am looking for. No Scarpa T4's (there going to be hard to find).

"Smoking deal, you can always sell the Meidjo"
- I have never shopped on Ebay as all the products are coming from the US and with the delivery costs (plus other hidden costs I don't want to take the chance)... Also $500 is the first bid, not sure how high this may reach. I just gave a shot at bidding for a pair of T4s (lost) but you have to be there right at to the end... The other thing is I think the V6s are more ski than I need.
hello fisheater... I have been having a hard time finding used fischer98 or Asnes... but have come across a pair of K2 Telemark Skis, with bindings and Crispi boots that look good. They're not waxless but I can deal with that. I am wondering as you know what I am looking for, if they would be suitable.

1 pair K2 telemark skis . Length 188cm in very good condition. (K2 Telemark World - this is what is written on the skis no other model name)
Black Diamond safety clip wires.
1 pair Crispi telemark boots. Size 28/29 shell (boot size 10.5-11).
-this is the facebook ad if you want to see a picture

thanks

DG99

Post by DG99 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:28 pm

AbnerLico wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:23 am
Howdy All
As the topic suggests I want to only purchase one ski system that does it all (and I know won't do any one thing well but that's ok). I live in Ontario, Canada and my skiing will be predominantly in flat Ontario with a trip or two to the Eastern mountains per season. I probably won't ski more than 20 times a season.
Here are more parameters:
-a system that works well both on the flats and hills but my preference is downhill, control and turning (tele turns).
-I am willing to sacrifice weight and ease of glide on the flats for better performance on the hills
-even when I go out in Ontario in relatively flat areas I seek more hilly area and enjoy going up and down rather than touring/traversing.
-price is somewhat of a factor

I have looked at the Rottefella Xplore system and it looks really good however accessing the gear seems difficult in North America. I have also just come across the OAC skinbased system (https://www.skinbased.com/) and it seem really good. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on these if you skied on them or know more information.
Any feedback is appreciated - thanks!
Abe
I haven’t read everything on this thread but would advise the Scarpa T4, Voile 3 pins on the risers, and Fischer SBound 112 or similar. Fairly light, cheap, good performance XC and downhill.

Any of the Voile 3 pins that are on risers, the risers have a ramp angle that works better given the rocker of the boot, vs. just a flat 3 pin on the skis.

What NOT: leather boots AKA vinyl/cloth/rubber nowadays, mostly these are quickly overwhelmed by tougher conditions, icy, deep, stiff etc. snow or steeper hills. Unless you’re awesome. Something like the Fischer BCX.

You might also get cable bindings, but might be overkill in weight and expense, something like Voile Switchbacks. Voile skis are awesome downhill but maybe overkill for your use especially in the price.

You might get skinnier skis, but deep heavy snow off-trail can bog them down. Perhaps not such a factor in Ontario vs here in Oregon.

You could go with kick waxable skis, but it’s a pain, especially here in Oregon. Cold Ontario is a bit better I suppose. I always prefer waxless fishscales.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:34 pm

I don’t know those skis in particular, or those boots as well. I believe that would make a suitable kit for the resort. Probably really good for learning and having fun riding lifts.
Those three buckle boots would probably be just fine or maybe very good if you were mostly going uphill to go downhill, or for when you needed or preferred a 3 buckle boot to go downhill.
Now if you’re touring in flat or more rolling hills, areas where you you may be serious about making turns, but you are going to be kicking and gliding the greater majority of the time. I would think you will find those boots a bit heavy and lacking in range of motion as well. Looking at the shape of the K2 skis, I would think they would be a bit squirrelly on compacted trails.
However if you these fit in your budget, and you could get a light leather boot and an old E-99 type ski for the flatter trails you would be set up for a wide range of conditions.

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:21 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:34 pm
I don’t know those skis in particular, or those boots as well. I believe that would make a suitable kit for the resort. Probably really good for learning and having fun riding lifts.
Those three buckle boots would probably be just fine or maybe very good if you were mostly going uphill to go downhill, or for when you needed or preferred a 3 buckle boot to go downhill.
Now if you’re touring in flat or more rolling hills, areas where you you may be serious about making turns, but you are going to be kicking and gliding the greater majority of the time. I would think you will find those boots a bit heavy and lacking in range of motion as well. Looking at the shape of the K2 skis, I would think they would be a bit squirrelly on compacted trails.
However if you these fit in your budget, and you could get a light leather boot and an old E-99 type ski for the flatter trails you would be set up for a wide range of conditions.
Thanks.. I trust your expertise and it does sound like these are more set up as 'resort skis/boots'. And I already have Rossy BC70 with NNN and fairly hefty boots. I think the ideal set would be something exactly in between these two..as the title in this post suggests, I am looking for one ski system and truthfully that include a significant kick and glide but also handle the up/downhills well. (The Fishcer 98 or Asnes 62 with a scarpa t3/t4 But they're no-where to be found used and also new) .... Do you think a lighter boot would make them comparable to the Fischer/Asnes?

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:55 pm

Just so you know, I ski my FT X with an Alaska 75 boot. It is quite powerful with the Rotte ST binding with cable. I also have these boots
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224356416769?h ... SwCh1gLk8H

They are British size, so if you are a 10 US you are a 9 UK

The Alico boot is much stiffer than the Alaska 75. However the increased lateral stiffness offered by the Rotte ST binding with cable over the Voile cables, allows me to usually use the much softer Alaska 75. The Rottefella cable is a significant difference over the Voile with soft leather boots.

I do not use or recommend a T-4 for a FT X or s-98/112. If you are going to a boot like the T-4 go to a more powerful ski like a Voile Objective or Vector. There may be specific reasons to use a T-4, I think overnight trips where a double boot makes sense.

Another stiff leather boot that should be readily available is the Fisher Transnordic 75. There have been mixed reviews regarding fit and comfort. I would wear them indoors, flexing into imaginary turns. Some guys like the flex, others didn’t. I believe the 75 mm boot received more favorable reviews than the BC version. It is a strong, stiff, boot if it fits you and is comfortable. You do not need a T-4 for this class of skis. Although it is a good thing to own a T-4.