Are These Good Beginner Skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Fixx42

Are These Good Beginner Skis?

Post by Fixx42 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 am

As a beginner, I would like to come to you guys one more time for advice, if you don't mind. I just bought this pair of used Atomic TM:22's on eBay for about $66: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231127018553?ss ... 1439.l2649

They've been mounted a couple of times before and have some additional holes in them for heel lifts. I'm hoping to remount them with a pair of 7tm Power bindings, and then use them both to learn to telemark and then to continue skiing on them.

Given that I'm a beginner, and that I only ski on-piste and out in the icy east, do you guys think that this would be a good setup to learn on, and then continue skiing on? I've heard that the TM:22 might be better suited to the backcountry, or to conditions out West.

I'm also a little worried that I may have bought a pair of skis that are a little older than might be wise. What do you think?

Please don't hold back any bad news, I'd be happy to resell these on eBay if it looks like I might be better served by a different pair of skis.

Many thanks!
Fixx

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Are These Good Beginner Skis?

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 am

Wise choice about picking the 7TMs to start!

I think the TM22s are a very, very good starting point. With a radius of 22m, it's not the easiest ski to turn but you sure will learn a lot with this setup... MUCH better than what I learned on...!

At the beginning, learning the technique is more important than the ski itself... I think you're ready to go and you should hit the slopes as soon as you get those skis in the mail...! Only you will know when you need another pair... or two... or three...

Have fun!!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Dickie

Post by Dickie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:07 pm

No.........

Fixx42

Post by Fixx42 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks LoveJohnny, I appreciate the advice!
Dickie wrote:No.........
Can I ask why? Are they too old?