Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:51 am

ski-allen-13-3-11-2.jpg
meadow skipping
I have a heck of a time organizing my photos, I can never find what I'm looking for. I also haven't been able to load a video.
2016-03-26 024.JPG
Hatcher Passs

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:40 am

wow, you live in ski paradise Al! Everything here (east) is covered in trees and "krummholz".

My ski touring loyalties would be tested, I'd be dying to take my snowboard down some of those huge faces in the background.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Cannatonic, Hatcher Pass is a skiers paradise. It has everything from groomed xc trails to the extreme, with lots in between. That one big face in the backround is accessed from the road, park and climb. You would prolly want a split board if you came up here.

It would be pretty easy to plan a trip up here. Get a few friends, fly up, and rent an RV. You get your housing and transportation in one. I just got a ticket to go back East in April for 480.00 bucks and I doubt the Rv would be too much that time of year. And April is a great time to ski up here, light till at least 9 or 10 PM.

What kind of Krumholtz you got back there? Scrub oak?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 pm

some day I'd like to make it to Alaska - I have enough frequent flier miles for it. It's always been my fantasy to go heli-skiing in the Chugach, even if I can only afford a few runs.

I use an old step-in binding system for boarding, K2 Clicker, in the 90's they made MSR snowshoes with Clicker binding, great for climbing with the snowboard on your pack, makes a very light package and the snowshoes have crampons. I would use this for steeps, my tele skills are still somewhere between the sledding hill and intermediate slopes. :(. :o

ps. look like the krummnolz is more spruce & birch:

>>The word krummholz means “crooked wood” in German. In the Northeast, when we speak of krummholz, we’re talking about the matted, dwarfed trees that circle the tops of some mountains, separating lower elevation full-size forests and true alpine areas. Balsam fir, black spruce, and heartleaf birch are the dominant species, standing no more than eight feet high. Sometimes they’re only knee high. Sometimes only ankle high.

http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_st ... mholz-wood
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 pm

The area i frequently ski and work at posted a pic of me skiing (on a day off). I'm pretty stoked! not a great photo or anything but I like the timing, late in lead change? I'm just Glad to have documentation of skiing exploits

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:08 pm

It's nice to be noticed dorthman and that is a good photo. Nice snow too.

I wish people would post more photos of where they ski. When there's nothin to say a picture is worth a thousand words.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 pm

My foray into Alpine skiing. View from the top of the main lift at Bluewood (SE WA State). There is still winter above 4000 ft. here. Conditions today--frozen surface in morning, softened in early afternoon--temperatures up to 40 (F). It was partly cloudy, except when I happened to be taking the pictures. As the other Washington residents can attest, we have been getting a bit of rain lately at lower elevations.
IMG_0341.JPG

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 am

^^^^ Get it where you can while you can.

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Spring is slowly approching in the frozen tundra of the Laurentians. Mont Alta (Val-David, QC) finaly had some topless conditions (clear blue sky with some dry snow just below 0C). With a concrete base of 1meter+ of extra dense snow and nothing above 4C in the 14 days forecast, I wouldn't be surprise if we can make it into May on natural snow and July at mont Avila...
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

skiing-allen-15-3-27.jpg
spring 2016
Spring isn't here yet, every day for at least 3+ weeks has been starting out around zero degrees F and only warning up to the high teens.