Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by Tom M » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 pm

June 10th ski to the saddle below Sublette Peak. Typical summer snow base with a few inches of fresh overnight snow. Skiing the SBound 98's with 3 pin leathers. Most of the snow is gone below 9000 feet but we still have 36 inches or more in the trees. It is sticky but skiable as long as the slope is not facing South.
20200610_124052_Moment.jpg
20200610_122408_Moment.jpg
Last edited by Tom M on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Nice, Tom!

We also got new snow, from Monday night into Tuesday, with temps staying in the 20s during the storm. The skiing was sublime on Tuesday, but still good Wednesday morning. Here's a photo from Wednesday:
R0000276b_sm.JPG

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:40 pm

Andy M wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:45 pm
Nice, Tom!

We also got new snow, from Monday night into Tuesday, with temps staying in the 20s during the storm. The skiing was sublime on Tuesday, but still good Wednesday morning. Here's a photo from Wednesday:

R0000276b_sm.JPG
Looks like some great stuff. Thanks for sharing. :)

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 am

Nice pics and video, Tom!

I'm glad a few of us are still skiing.

Awesome. I am still learning to make better videos.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 am

Friendship Pass and Gold Cord Peak. Today was a friendlier day.

Fischer S112, NNN BC, Alfa Quest Core boots
EZ skins in the AM.

FB_IMG_1591941536158.jpg
Summit of Gold Cord Peak
FB_IMG_1591941554703.jpg
Lynx tracks
FB_IMG_1591941577139.jpg
the white snowy patch is Friendship Pass (4800ft) as seen from the top of Gold Cord
FB_IMG_1591941548065.jpg
Looking down on Independence Mine from midway
up Gold Cord
FB_IMG_1591941532295.jpg
Independence Mine; Gold Cord in the background
Last edited by jyw5 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 am

jyw5 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 am
Friendship Pass and the Pinnacle. Today was a friendlier day.

Fischer S112, NNN BC, Alfa Quest Core boots
EZ skins in the AM.
I really enjoy your photos and videos as well, probably more than most, as I spent most of my adult life in Alaska.
Just for old time sake, here is a photo near Chitna Pass on a week long spring ski trip circa 1978. 1978 was an era before bear spray and I now shutter to think about my spring skis in Alaska without any protection.
Don skiing up toward Chitna Pass 2.jpg

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:37 am

Tom M wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 am

I really enjoy your photos and videos as well, probably more than most, as I spent most of my adult life in Alaska.
Just for old time sake, here is a photo near Chitna Pass on a week long spring ski trip circa 1978. 1978 was an era before bear spray and I now shutter to think about my spring skis in Alaska without any protection.

Don skiing up toward Chitna Pass 2.jpg
Thanks! Wow...Skinny double cambered skis to do a long traverse. Were they at least waxless? did you have skins in 1978? I always wondered about that. I read the old log entries when I did the Eklutna Traverse and can't even imagine how much more difficult it was back then.

My telemark skiing ability has been terrible recently as I have been just doing alpine parallel turns, step and jump turns down steep slushy snow. Old habits...so hard to deprogram.

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am

jyw5 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:37 am

Thanks! Wow...Skinny double cambered skis to do a long traverse. Were they at least waxless? did you have skins in 1978? I always wondered about that. I read the old log entries when I did the Eklutna Traverse and can't even imagine how much more difficult it was back then.

My telemark skiing ability has been terrible recently as I have been just doing alpine parallel turns, step and jump turns down steep slushy snow. Old habits...so hard to deprogram.

In the 70's and 80's I skied Fischer Europa 77's, then 99's. The Europa 77's were an off track plastic XC ski with an aluminum edge. Skins have been around for a long time and I remember seeing a set made from real seal skin. I eventually moved up to a wider, softer, ski in the mid 80's, a set of Japanese Swallows, which were a popular backcountry ski in Alaska at the time. I had a set of strap on skins for the Swallows. Waxless skis have been around for a long time as well, but the early versions just weren't a good alternative. I bought my first pair of waxless skis in 2008 and I now ski waxless skis exclusively. Here are a couple of photos you might enjoy.

This photo was taken on a March ski tour as we crossed the Chulitna River on our way over to the Ruth Glacier. Here you can see my ski of choice. I had a narrow, maybe 1 inch wide full length skin at the time. It was one of the first adhesive based skins and rolled over the tail of the ski attaching to the top of the tail. You can see the skin if you zoom in on the photo
Tom crossing Chulitna.jpg
And another photo rope skiing on the Ruth
Rope skiing.jpg
For me, the tele turn is mainly a powder turn. Sometimes it is just easier to do a parallel turn. If you watched my June video, you can see me struggling to do a decent tele turn on the spring snow with my 98's. If the camera wasn't on, I'd probably just have paralleled the slope. :)

In the video, I mentioned skiing Togwotee in my earlier life. Here is a shot from that era, circa 1975. On that trip I was skiing Silvretta cable bindings with mountaineering boots. The skis on the left were my brother's Bonna wooden skis. They had a segmented steel edge. The skis on the right were my Europa 77's. Both were high tech backcountry options in their day.
Tom at snow cave.jpg
Last edited by Tom M on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:42 am

Niiiiice...!
Please keep those nice pictures coming...! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:36 am

Tom M wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am
Skins have been around for a long time and I remember seeing a set made from real seal skin.
Awesome pictures!
In Norway it is still possible to get skins made from real seal skin... Even for Åsnes short skin format!
http://www.skifeller.no/
On Fjellforum there are reports of amazing glide with them (supposedly just as good as blue wax on dry snow) and great traction, but they need frequent reglueing.
And my personal view is that no seals need to die just so I can have better glide.