Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Faceplants just aren't as impressive on packed snow as they are in powder. In fact I'm not even sure it is a faceplant if you don't feel the sting of cold snow in your eyes, ears,down your neck and back and maybe even up your sleeves. Thats how mine was last Monday anyway.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:08 pm

It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop.

Here's something softer: http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 290#p17496

STG

Post by STG » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Woodserson:

Great Shot! Glad you are conscious! Helmets save lives. Too bad it wasn't a head plant in the powder.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Went out for a fun 'ski' today. It looks like an early season this year. Bummer. Lake Superior, in the background, is about 8 miles away and 1000' below.
040117.jpg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Connyro,
I had to do some searching after seeing your photos. My backcountry knowledge of your area is very limited, only a hike up Sugerloaf Mt., and had talked about Hogback Mt. I found some interesting terrain on a map , I don't know if it is Huron Mountain Club land. I figured I would share a link anyway. They call it a terrain map rather than a topo map. It is easier for me to read.
http://peakery.com/map/
I am not sure if what I saw will come up when you click the link, but it is in the Ives Lake area. I was just talking with an old ski buddy, I was talking up training a bit on the mt. bikes, and maybe doing some more serious turns for tours stuff. I was really disappointed to have him tell me he thought he was getting a little old for stuff like that. He even suggested I wasn't that young anymore either. Fortunately he told me I could keep going for a while, because I'm not smart enough to know I'm not young anymore. It does stink when your old partners are not interested any more.
Nice to see Lake Superior in the distance, looks like a cool place to ski.

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 am

Fish-e, naw, that map opened to somewhere in southern California! However, I'm pretty familiar with the Ives Lake area. Some of it is in club property (anything north, east or west of Ives lake) and strictly off-limits, and some is public assess CSA land (Ives hill area, south of Ives lake) that is fair game IF you can assess it legally. I have a good buddy that has property on Ives lake so we base out of his place in order to tour that area. It's some pretty big terrain (for the midwest) and there's lots of great slopes and views but it suffers from too little snow (too close to the big lake and not ideally oriented for the usual heavy lake effect snow belts). Here's a view from the top of Ive's hill looking north (not my photo):
ives.jpg
I ski mostly south of that area in the Huron mountains, but not in the club. THere's lots of wilderness up here that can be legally accessed, but knowing where it is and how to access it is not easy if you don't live here. Do you ever get up this way much in the winter? Maybe next season? If so, let me know. I can show you around! Also, here's a link to a guy's blog that mapped his hiking adventures in the UP: https://map.jacobemerick.com/. Cool info in the map.

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Hey Connyro, I feel sad for you! There is way too much grass in your picture. April shouldn't be about grass skiing. We just received another 10cm on saturday.

Some pictures from today in the lower Laurentians. Plenty of snow left. Upper Laurentians has even more.
IMG_4068.JPG
IMG_4071.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:23 am

Bri7, what is that barreau de chaise against your head?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 pm

It is the Paschal candle Rod (read Cohiba Esplendidos)!

Aren't you observing Lent? The XCD Church suggest that we give up certain luxury (read plastic boots in favor of leather) to replicate the forty days Jesus spent in a northeast mountains filled with snow. It also suggest the daily cigar smoking to draw themselves near to God....

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Plastic is the new leather! As far as Pascal candles are involved, you are ending your carême a bit fast, you sinner!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique