Tell us about yourself

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Tell us about yourself

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:31 pm

It's obvious that Ttips/Ttalk has the most interesting forum members of any forum out there, but let's find out why. Add a little about who you are, what you do 9-5, what your passions are, why you love skiing, and anything else you think is fun and interesting. Don't be shy - skis forums need more of a sense of community and identity to succeed!

nebcskier

Re: Tell us about yourself

Post by nebcskier » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:48 am

Here goes...

I am dad of two daughters, 13 and 15. One is active in 3 sports, lacrosse, field hockey, and basketball. My oldest is all about volleyball. I am married and live in the seacoast of New Hampshire. I love meeting people and skiing with them. All but one of the people I ski with backcountry I knew outside ski forums. Everyone else I have skid with in the backcountry I met and communicated with online. I have had free places to stay when needed and I have learned about and been led into secret stashes.

Theses days my schedule is so busy between work and sports that I rarely ski anything other than the low angle trails close to home. My goal is stay in reasonable good shape so that when I am an empty nester I will be able to enjoy the outdoors more.

Other interests include surfing, running and one day I would like to take up kite surfing.

Other forums I participate on are Telemark East and Time for Tuckerman. I most often post on Facebook so feel free to send a friend request.

Kevin Farrar

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks Kevin!

I didn't want to go first because I feel like I'm always blathering about myself... but I'll make it concise.

I'm Mike, if you can't tell from the avatar. 34, college educated, married DINK (dual income, no kids) - yes, I have the life! It wasn't always so great though...

My main obsession in life is the outdoors - I like anything outside, especially in the Adirondacks if you couldn't tell. In recent years it has been silent sports - paddling and skiing that have most of my attention, but I used to be into riding dirt bikes and wheelers, racing cars, and my last obsession was karting.

I'd still be into karting if there was more structure and competition. It's like the XCD skiing of motorsports - pure, exciting, FUN, and simple. I thought I'd share a video to see what it looks like. This was the slowest kart I ever had and I'd still kill any car or bike around that track - also I thought it was handling quite bad, in karting we'd call it 'tight' meaning the rear tires is not releasing like it should causing slow corner speed and understeer on turn in. Anyway this is just some tuning practice - it's quite boring this way, much more fun when you are dicing and passing people:

[video][/video]

My wife got me into flatwater paddling about 6 years ago, and once I got her into doing trips with the boat, I was hooked. I love nothing more than exploring the ponds and lakes with a boat, even if it means carrying it quite a bit:

I love being out in my solo boat too - it's like skiing in some sense... quietly drifting along, like a ghost. Most of the fall I spend in my solo along streams, rivers and lake shores enjoying the scenery. I'd like to get into mild whitewater (class II and III) as we have some nice stuff to run, but it's hard for me to find the time to learn that...

I'm an engineer by day, explorer by night and weekend. I'm also quite into music (as is my wife), anything with a tube in it (amps and radios and such), and beers of the world. I don't give two shits about my house or my yard or keeping up with the Jonses'. I live in a very small, cheap, modest house and try to get away from it as much as I can.

In my past I've been an auto mechanic and a mason - before I became the professional I am today :roll:

I used to enjoy soccer, downhill skiing, mountain bike racing, and swimming in high school and college. I don't do any of it anymore... although I am tempted to get back into biking. My last mtn bike was stolen and all I have a hybrid skinny tire bike. It's not very exciting to ride...

I got into BC Nordic skiing because I wasn't interested in skiing on groomed terrain or dh at resorts anymore. I wanted to be away from the crowds and seeing new things. I don't know many people that are into skiing like I am, but I know they exist - I've talked to them on the internet and seen them on trails... it's just never happened to come together for an outing... I've had the same experience with backpacking and canoe tripping and people I've met on the web. It's usually just me and the wife :)

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 pm

I'll do this since I know Kevin already :D First post here, used to be "Las Gotas" on Ttips years ago, but had the last 2 years off for injuries. Oldest just went to college, leaving me without my best friend, youngest just about to turn 16. 30 years ago I had just come back to work from Alta and a woman walked by with a hat from Chamonix and a winter tan. I told my admin to find out who she was because I was going to marry her. Yep sure did! We backed off skiing a bit to raise the kids as they were into their own things, but are now at the place where we hope to use our camp/ski house near Mt. Abram in Maine once again.

I mostly ski alone honestly, usually in whatever woods I happen by with XCD gear and a headlamp. I used to mountain bike a lot and like taking my skis on the trails that used to require 7" of travel. When not doing that in the winter I'm playing guitar either with various bands or fingerstyle jazz. Also like warming my 16 year old daughter up for tennis season once or twice a week just to make myself feel even more decrepit.

Summer is flyfishing time and driving the boat so my kids can ski. I usually do a lot of surf kayaking and wave skiing but recovering from a back injury so this season is a bust for that. On Time for Tuckerman I'm Luddite and sure hope I get back up there this spring. At 59 I'm learning not to take any opportunities to get out for granted and to be thankful for every turn I get.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Welcome to TT v2.0 (French Edition) StormyMonday! And thanks for sharing your story.

Dongshow

Post by Dongshow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Mic, don't use my schtick, get your own material.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:00 am

Hey,

I'm a professor/researcher/instructor here in Syracuse NY. I'm 48 years old and in ok but I wish better physical condition - need to shed some pounds and am finally trying to work more seriously on that. I grew up outside of Allentown, PA and got into XC skiing as a teenager there - self taught with some buddies at a local rental place that was fun for us. Got my own skis from LL Bean one XMass - wood ones with a low cut shoe and those took me through a bunch of winters in the local orchards near my house. Used to XC by moonlight after doing my homework sometimes. Played soccer and ran track in high school - track for two seasons in college at Univ. of Rochester. Did my grad work in N. California and skied in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe a good bit, but backcountry and downhill. Lived in CT for a couple years before getting my job here and used to rock climb a decent about at the Gunks particularly during that time. Someone asked me once what I liked to do - I replied "non-motorized sports". I enjoy downhill tele too much to disqualify that (sorry purists). My interests work along the following seasons and equipment:

Winter (figured I'd start there)
XC and backcountry - great options around Syracuse here for all kinds of skiing. I try to hit every park at least once just to do it. Even so I've not skied every place you can by far but there are a lot of favorites.
Downhill tele - started about 8 years ago or so when my kids started in school ski club. I'd gone a couple times on lighter gear (umm, Asolo Glissades and Asnes Mtn Telemark 205 cm skis) but never enjoyed myself until getting some Merrell Comp leathers with buckles and Karhu Kondors (194s) from a guy on Craigslist. Favorite spots have been Toggenburg, Snow Ridge and now for the past several years, Gore. Last year I got a pair of lightly used 183 K2 Piste Pipe twin tips off a guy and they are my current first choice for all mountain stuff since my kids like to ski/board bumps and trees and the 194s were a bit rough in those spots.

Spring
Fly fishing is something I rediscovered after a nearly 20 year hiatus while I was in college, grad school, etc. A few nice places to fish around Syracuse for trout, better water near a family camp in PA on a river there. My spring when not consumed with work has been about fishing the river I was blessed enough to learn to fly fish on as a kid with my dad. Tie my own flies and try not to make too much a science of catching and mostly releasing fish. I've also fished for salmon and steelhead on the Salmon River north of Syracuse.
I've enjoyed flat water canoeing and more recently we've gotten a bit into very mellow kayaking. The river in PA that is near our camp is great class II or III kayaking - very mellow cruising and we now like to do that.
I like getting out fly fishing for bass in the summer evenings when I can - I tend to do this from my kayak just due to its car top ease relative to our fiberglass canoe.
I like to hike and we get out for walks with our dog as much as we can.
Recently I've gotten a lot more into biking - I have a hybrid and got the chance this past summer to ride across New York State on the Erie Canal trail way with some friends on a great week long trip. I've also discovered some rides that local cycling clubs have on their websites and have been working through that list with a buddy of mine. He also set a goal of riding around each of the Finger Lakes - he bought a new road bike and got the jump on me and currently stands 3 lakes to my zero, but this summer should even out a bit.

Fall
Generally I'm pretty busy with work these days. This is something that's been hard to balance. I like to run, hike, etc and pretty much all the summer activities in Central NY carry into the fall for us. This fall my daughter who is a high school senior and I hiked Mt. Marcy and a nice loop in the High Peaks in a weekend 18 mile loop. I was glad to have made that goal happen with her before she goes off to college. Our son plays soccer and lacrosse. Kids ski (daughter) and board (son). My wife is a great downhill skier - she grew up skiing at Squaw Valley where her dad was a ski instructor on Saturdays. She also likes to XC ski as well. We ski, hike and boat and generally hang out as much as we can with our shelter rescue dog who is a lab border collie mix.

Outside of outdoor stuff, I do like different trying different beers and wines. I've home brewed as well and am meaning to get back to it. Finally, as I mentioned in another thread here, a recent purchase has been a 1984 VW Westfalia. I honestly don't know fully what this is about - my rationale for it is complicated. I live close to the Adirondacks and while work and kids have consumed me for the past 15 years or so, in three years we should be empty nesters but poor with two kids making their way through college. The van was not exactly a fiscally rational purchase at all, but it was more about a need for some freedom and a reason/motivator to get my lazy ass out and explore again. In general part of me hates paying a motel someplace that I am just going to sleep and grab a shower and go and I've been busy always with a lot of work, etc. on weekends. I also have come to wonder about myself, reading hiking guides and XC books about the ADKs and then driving past so many inviting trailheads as I take my measly couple of trips up there each year, if that. Having a cabin in PA certainly is great but I figured this was like a boat on wheels and better. So now a new project is the Westfalia and all the work that owning a 30 year old vehicle includes. I'm enjoying figuring some of it out. Not sure how much of a car camper I am, but I think it will work out ok, and I figure it will be a cool ride to get out and hike wherever the hell I feel like it and that's pretty damn important to me at this point of my life. It is a cool ride to drive for sure and that means a lot. I'm hoping it will be a great tool for expanding hiking, kayaking, biking and skiing opportunities, but that chapter is yet to be written.

Time to get the skis prepped for a Valentines day ski my wife and I are headed out of today.

Oldschool

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am 41 years old (Oct. 25, 1973). My wife and I have 4 children at home- oldest is 12- youngest is 14 months. We have 3 dogs (2 border collies; one Australian shepherd (very different breeds by the way- to my surprise)); and plans to expand our little homestead farming to production sheep/lamb farming. We grow some of our own food; cut our own firewood and timber; and manage woodlots (including our own land). My wife and I are forestry professionals.

I am a forest ecologist and silviculturalist, with more than 20 years experience working in forestry. I was a professional logger for 10 years (hand faller). I have lived and worked in forestry in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, and British Columbia. Since 2013, I have been teaching forestry at the forestry college in Fredericton (Maritime College of Forest Technology- formerly the Maritime Forest Ranger School- both my wife and I are graduates).

I live in central New Brunswick (Stanley), Canada, on a homestead/farm/woodlot; backing on to thousands of acres of private and public forest land. The terrain here is predominantly rolling; with elevations ranging from 150m to 360m; ridges and flats deeply cut by stream and river valleys. There are endless fields, glades, forests, and forest trails and roads to hike, bike and ski on. The winter snow completely opens up the landscape to travelling on skis and/or snowshoes (up until about a generation ago- xcountry skiing was quite popular in this region. Now snowmobiles have taken over the hearts and minds of most rural Maritimers- at least those that can afford it!). Unlike the boreal forest to the north; the forest here is mixed- there are enough open stands that you can ski almost anywhere. Due to the terrain- and my personal tastes- my skiing is predominantly backcountry touring- with an emphasis on being able to cover terrain at speed- hence my preference for long skis and light boots/bindings.

During the winter months I can ski most everyday (sometimes twice a day!)- even if it is only a 45 minute cruise around our woodlot with my headlamp on. My wife and I fell in love skiing together (among other things)- but since our most recent two youngest children (2 and 1/2 and 14 months) she and I rarely get out together. But we often get out with the two oldest (10 and 12 years) and occasionally with friends. That being said- over the last few seasons, most of my skiing has been with my dogs alone.

The snow conditions in our neck of the woods are incredible and stable (unlike more coastal areas of the Maritime region). A typical ski season from my doorstep lasts from mid November to mid May.

I come from a xcountry skiing background (my wife from an alpine skiing background). I was born in Montreal to newly immigrated parents (Mom from Ireland; Dad from Wales). My parents quickly developed a love for xcountry skiing which my sisters and I shared. We skied on groom track in the Montreal area; and spent vacations backcountry skiing in the Laurentians, the Green Mountains and the Adirondacks.

When I was 8 years old we moved to coastal Saint John New Brunswick. Now SJ gets a shit ton of snow every winter...but it does not stay stable...and is often followed by warm weather and rain. My adolescent and teenage winters were filled by many a frantic race home to desperately ski Rockwood Park with my old Karhus.

As a teenager I spent some time with friends and family on alpine gear in NB and in the mountains of Maine and Quebec.

In the 1990s I worked as a professional logger in BC. On my time off, I had some incredible big mountain backcountry skiing experiences. This was my first introduction to both alpine touring equipment and telemark equipment (this is where my bad tele habits originated).

Since my return to NB in 1999; I have been backcountry xcountry-telemark skiing in New Brunswick and Quebec. My wife and used to make at least 2 winter trips to the mountains in Quebec (please say the children will grow up and we can start going again! :D )

I am a naturalist, ecologist, silviculturalist, logger, homesteader, gardener, hiker, mountaineer, (former sailor), Nordic skier, mountain biker, writer, musician, father and husband (don't worry honey- not in that order! ;) ).

My absolute favorite thing to do, is to be on a multi-day trip, with a pack on, in forests and/or mountains. Although any season will do- if I had to pick one thing before I died- to be out early on skis, in the backcountry, on skis, on fresh soft snow.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Boy I wasn't expecting much from this thread but it's quite inspiring! Thanks everyone for sharing your tales! It's interesting to see how everyone is so similar, yet in some ways vastly different. It's the differences that I am fascinated about the most, because well, if you weren't into skiing, you probably wouldn't be here :mrgreen:

barkleydog

Post by barkleydog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Emerging on this board as a long ago and frequent poster on the old Teletips board. Live in Boone NC and make a living as a trauma/ED nurse, and Integrative Health Coach. Ski Patrol locally at Beech Mtn Resort and volunteer as a Paramedic/ WEMT with our local Rescue Squad. Been tele skiing since the 80s when leathers and skinny skis were state of the art. My undergrad degree is in nursing and grad degree in health science. Looking forward to retiring when I can spend more time with my family and 3 dogs.