Tell us about yourself

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tnevins530

Re: Tell us about yourself

Post by tnevins530 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Feels great being smoke free doesn't it. I love not having that bogging me down.
It is amazing how much smoking kept me from doing the things I wanted to do. I didn't realize it until I quit.
Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a smoking thread so I will leave it at that.

Woodhoud

Post by Woodhoud » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I starting to tele about the time shaped skis and plastic boots really kicked in. I wanted to skin up ski down PNW volcanos. Paralleled the first year. Once I dropped a knee I fell in love with the turn. Never got great at it but still totally enjoy the sport. Nowadays I just ski mostly lift served with one BC hut trip here and there and a ski mountaineer climb once or twice . Love the SW chutes on Adams did it on my 40th and 50th birthdays 7/28. Will have to practice this year for my 60th next year. Work in the winter on alpine gear in Utah . Spring corn and Spring Salmon in Portland area. Summer sailing on the Columbia and San Juan Islands. Fall bow hunting for Elk near Mt St Helen's, then back to Park City.

Don W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Welcome Don - sounds like you are living the life! Have fun and be cool... :geek:

Ant01ne

Tell us about yourself

Post by Ant01ne » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi there!
I'm Antoine from Quebec, or "Ant1" for the anglophones out there ;-)

Kinda fell in love this winter. I work for a ski resort. We're lucky enough to be able to try every rental skis available.

One evening of this cold and icy winter without snow, I went (very) "rapid dating" on a steep track with some rev90 on an alpine setup.

I was going full throttle and one ski slipped. I quickly lost both skis and must have slided on my back at high speed for at least 100 meters. Fortunately no injury. But it felt weird to get that slow motion action thinking "hhmm, should put hands over head to protect in case of impact, oh, then maybe if I split my legs it will slow me down to a stop at some point..".

I know, fear is not a reason to switch to tele. It was just the turning point.
I was already looking for some new challenges and I find the tele turn very graceful, especially done by girls in bikinis! ...lol. In my opinion, tele is at least twice the physical effort of alpine p turns, but the pleasure of freeheeling on the other hand is impossible to compare. No offense to alpine skiing, but resorting on the proper track skis can be put simple as this: "sit down on your shins and balance left or right according to the direction you wish to take".. As some people say, tele makes the usual mountain feel bigger, therefore eliminating the need to move to the west coast ;-)

I really enjoy the whole soul thing, and the harmony we find on the slopes while making turns. ..But I must admit that I'm also using tele as a way to get stronger for the xc bike season :-D ..Sorry tele, my first love will always be Mountain biking!

80 runs later, I'm starting to think about going NTN. Is the tts ready yet?

Is there ppl around Quebec here?

Peace out!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Ant01ne wrote:
Is there ppl around Quebec here?

Peace out!
Most def.! Actually am quite surprised we are so many! I'm living in Rimouski.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

eastern_telemark

Post by eastern_telemark » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:16 am

I'm an 18 year old college student. I've been teleskiing for 3 years now. essentially my whole life revolves around skiing. i ski mostly lift service terrain due to the lack of friends who are stupid enough to go backcountry with me. I live in the the north east of the US and I mostly ski Franconia Notch. when I am stuck in the other three seasons without snow I ride Road and mountain bikes, and I hike. basically anything outdoors. I recently have got into photography and I hope to specialize in action photography.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:24 am

eastern_telemark wrote:I'm an 18 year old college student. I've been teleskiing for 3 years now. essentially my whole life revolves around skiing. i ski mostly lift service terrain due to the lack of friends who are stupid enough to go backcountry with me. I live in the the north east of the US and I mostly ski Franconia Notch. when I am stuck in the other three seasons without snow I ride Road and mountain bikes, and I hike. basically anything outdoors. I recently have got into photography and I hope to specialize in action photography.
What college do you go to? Plymouth State?

eastern_telemark

Post by eastern_telemark » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:26 am

connyro wrote:
What college do you go to? Plymouth State?[/quote]

No I go to UNH but I took this semester off to work

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 pm

eastern_telemark wrote:
connyro wrote:
What college do you go to? Plymouth State?
No I go to UNH but I took this semester off to work[/quote]

That's my old stomping ground. I spent a few years in the Franconia notch area. Of all the spots in NH that I miss, Franconia notch is the one that I miss the most. Great skiing, climbing, and hiking and not too far from Montreal!

GEO

Post by GEO » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:33 am

50 yrs broken, 30 yrs+ FREE HEEL, TT 1999-2013.

xcd / 3-pin, 75mm plastic / NTN (& now NNN skating also, and stoked about it)
(& early XC / Snowboarding)

Although I have been West mostly, I have been skiing New Hampshire recently.

I want to take the opportunity to shout out to the impressive volume and age spread of telemark skiers I recently saw in the White Mtns, on lots of 2014-2015 snow, in nice sunshine at Tuckermans and Gulf of Slides. (And our sisters and bros on light locked heels).

Keep up the stoopid free heel love! One day we will add the dynafits too - but until then, why?! :mrgreen: