Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Physics debate

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:02 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:29 pm
That being said, I would second a closure of this physics debate.
👍👍👍
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:47 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:40 pm
Stephen wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:30 pm
wabene wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:14 am

Ok, not exactly yes or no but I will gladly take it :lol: . Thanks
Maybe I misunderstand, but from the above, I think @GrimSurfer thinks the cable does not allow the skier to apply more weight / pressure to the front of the ski than the skier would be able to apply without the cable?

@GrimSurfer, does an Alpine type binding allow a skier to apply additional pressure / force to the front of the ski by leaning against the resistance of the locked down heel?
I think you will say “Yes” to this.
In the same way, a skier using a cable binding, which also creates resistance to raising the heel, does the same thing, but to a lesser degree.
Yes or no?
All of my comments were provided in reference to a NN 3 pin 75 mm binding. I thought this was understood.

Yes or no?
Yes, and…
The original discussion was about Xplore vs. 3Pin+cable

What others were trying to get across to you, with a great deal of frustration ensuing, was that the cable does something that you didn’t seem to be aware of, which is to allow the skier to apply more force to the front of the ski than they would be able to without the cable.
You seemed to argue against that proposition, saying the cable can’t do anything because any force on the back end is countered by an equal but opposite force on the front end (which is true as far as it goes, but doesn’t go far enough).
Because, the forces on the closed system of the binding are further transmitted to the ski by the screws attaching the binding to the ski (so it’s the screws doing all the work here! :mrgreen:)

So, at least for me, while I’m mostly happy with the final outcome (not necessarily the process), I am left feeling (emotionally) a bit incomplete here.
I have the sense that @grimsurfer now understands this additional force the cable binding allows the skier to apply, yet I have no perception of him acknowledging this.
If I’m mistaken on this, please let me know, otherwise, it would be nice to have that final closure on the discussion.

(If I have used any terms that are used in the realm of Physics inaccurately, please understand my meaning, and make the necessary corrections on your side.)

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:49 pm

Do I now have to include “cable” in the term”NN 3 pin 75mm”… when talking about cables?

This is getting pedantic, even by my standards.

As for the other stuff, I’ve said what I’ve said. I haven’t left anything out… or left any thoughts, beliefs unsaid.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:52 pm

Seems like a dodge to me…

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:59 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:52 pm
Let me flesh that out…
I have the sense that often, when something has been put to you directly on the forum, you tend to dodge directly answering the question.
This makes it difficult to make progress in a discussion, which is evidenced by two of the longest posts in recent TTalk history.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:00 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:59 pm
Stephen wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:52 pm
Let me flesh that out…
I have the sense that often, when something has been put to you directly on the forum, you tend to dodge directly answering the question.
This makes it difficult to make progress in a discussion, which is evidenced by two of the longest posts in recent TTalk history.
I have gotten the same feeling. Takes the fun out of the debate, an argument should meet either a counter-argument, or acceptance.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:00 pm

Maybe it's time to watch the Python video again, we could all use a laugh :lol:

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm

wabene wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:00 pm
Yup. :D

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:08 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm
wabene wrote:
Yup. :D
@GrimSurfer, since my last post you have two newer posts (plus mine) that you could choose to respond to.
You choose the one that offered the best deflection and cover from my last post, which further reenforces the perception I already hold.

I believe you are an intelligent, thoughtful, person, with a wide range of experience and knowledge. But none of us know everything all the time.

The best I can do is gauge what I expect from you based on what I would expect from myself.

In a situation like this, there are a limited number of resolutions or outcomes.
If I was you ( I know, a weak place for me to start), at this point, I would be saying something along the lines of:
“My original posts were based on the idea of a 3 Pin binding, not taking into consideration the cable. I had not thought of how the cable might be able to “do” anything other than act as a transverse stabilizer for the heel / back end of the boot (which has a foot in it that is attached to a body). I now see how the cable can allow the skier to apply additional pressure to the front (tip) of the ski. Thank you all for taking the time to make this clear to me.”

Or, say you still disagree about the ”Tip pressure” thing, and leave it at that.

Listen, I know I’m being rather obsessive about this. The thing is, if we had just finished a short conversation, I might just let it go.
We are wrapping up a marathon post here, and I still have no clear signal from you on this except to not acknowledge you misunderstood the scope of the conversation, which was about Xplore vs. 75mm+cable

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:18 pm

wabene wrote:
I push my toe down and back and the ski moves foreward.