Altai Kom skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Altai Kom skis

Post by connyro » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Does anyone have any experience or information about the Altai Kom Skis? Slightly rockered tip, tapered tails, scales, 124/98/119, 2.85 kg. Currently, they are only made in 162 length but I read somewhere (not sure where) that next season's version will come in 3 lengths. They are being made somewhere in Quebec so I figured someone around here has been on them or had some knowledge about them. Anyone? They seem to be most similar to the VectorBCs and look like they have the potential to be pretty sweet!

http://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/kom-ski/
http://altaiskis.com/2013/04/29/testing ... the-kom-2/
http://offpistemag.com/hybrid-backcountry-altai-km-ski/

connyro

Re: Altai Kom skis

Post by connyro » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Bump...Anyone got anything?

Ant01ne

Post by Ant01ne » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 pm

They look sweet in the shop! But not in 162. I would go 182.
Close cousin of the Voile Charger / Vector. 200$ less.

Dirtbag

Post by Dirtbag » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:35 pm

I checked them out some time ago. My guess would be that they ski very similar to BC 125 Rossignol's which would be a good thing.

alpendrms

Post by alpendrms » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:07 am

I've been skiing them the past two seasons. I love them so much I barely ever use the other skis in my quiver. Very nimble, float powder, and great in the trees or tight chutes. I mounted them with G3 Targas and use 2 buckle Garmonts with them. Outstanding backcountry skis.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:54 am

alpendrms wrote:I've been skiing them the past two seasons. I love them so much I barely ever use the other skis in my quiver. Very nimble, float powder, and great in the trees or tight chutes. I mounted them with G3 Targas and use 2 buckle Garmonts with them. Outstanding backcountry skis.
Review?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:37 pm

YES- please! REVIEW.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

alpendrms

Post by alpendrms » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:50 am

lilcliffy wrote:YES- please! REVIEW.
Here is a write-up I did about these skis on the Hill People Gear Forum:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tab ... .aspx#9363

I continue to be impressed with them. I opted for these over the Altai Hok, because the Kom is more like a backcountry tele ski. Aside from skiing them in WV, I also used them pulling a pulk with a full load of winter camping gear with them into the Hill People Gear Winter Gathering camp last winter. The next day we did a nice ski tour around the area with plenty of rolling hills and off-piste. Even on fairly steep uphills, the scale base worked well. Initially I had a pair of old school Rainey Superloops on them, but have since switched those out for G3 Targas. The guys at Altai skis mostly like to run Voilé 3 pin cable bindings on them, paired with Scarpa T4s. Some folks even use a universal binding. I've been happy with the Targas and Garmont Velocés. I plan to ski them as often as I can this winter...as soon as there is enough snow in the east. For the next Hill People Gear Winter Gathering, I had planned to take them back out to Colorado, but I'll instead ski some Karhu XCD Guides with Silvretta AT bindings, because I will also be touring into an ice climbing area in Hoosier pass....so I need to be able to ski with leather mountain boots on. Otherwise...I would just ski the Koms again. They are really fun skis. I find myself reaching for these just about any time I can now.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks man- great to get some real user testing of these skis!

The Kom seems "different" to me (based on the specs and user descriptions)...It is clearly not simply a fat hybrid XC ski (e.g. Guide/Annum); but it is also clearly not simply a big-mtn AT/tele ski like the Vector/Charger. The problem I have with the Vector BC (I have tested it a couple of times) is that it is really a downhill ski with a waxless base (I would already own it if I still had a mountain in my backyard).

The Kom seems freshly-designed...a XC-Mtn touring ski (but totally different than a Scandinavian XC-mtn, "fjellski")...I would want it for my multi-day, mtn-touring in the Northeast (QC, NB, NF, etc.). Where I want to cover some significant distance with a Nordic stride- but still be able to jump of into caches of powder- wherever I feel like it. (I have Guides and 10th mtns setup with 3-pin-cable for this)

It is very cool that you have the Guide as well...obviously the Kom will greatly outperform the Guide on the downhill- but how do they compare/contrast in XC K&G? (I have always found that the Guide performs best in deep, soft, snow)

Also- I'm intrigued- what is the "Hill People Gear Winter Gathering camp"?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:19 am

Perhaps the Kom is the actual descendant of the Karhu XCD line...

I do hope to try them...and I do hope they eventually make them in longer lengths...short Kom for extreme terrain..long Kom for more moderate terrain, and longer distances in the mtns.