Altai Kom skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Altai Kom skis

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

I have both 3pin cable and 3 pin HW bindings. I do like the power of the 3 pin HW in that it does help me stay on the BOF nicely. I do not stay on the BOF nearly as well without the HW. On my leathers I use the cables when more downhill focused, but I stay on the BOF pretty well with or without the cable. If you can stay on the BOF with just cables perhaps that may be best for you. I personally believe a Ski as wide as the Kom would benefit from a riser. I think that would be more important in a region that gets a deep snowpack. Those places should have a longer spring season on consolidated bases. It can be pretty hard in the morning.
As for needing more power than a T 4, I guess that depends on your skiing style. When I alpine skied, I skied some pretty steep challenging terrain. I preferred a pretty soft Raichle Flexon boot. For where I ski, a T-4 is plenty, if I was planning on skiing western or eastern resorts I would probably try out a T-2. A higher cuff might help power the inside ski, but would that be a factor for a 162 cm ski? For me it wouldn't be, but it certainly could be for others.
I also got a chuckle that you are thinking about mounting this ski NN. Had it been mounted NN with the bindings rather than NNN I might have been real interested. I am really glad you bought it, I can't wait for the review!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 am

fisheater wrote:I have both 3pin cable and 3 pin HW bindings. I do like the power of the 3 pin HW in that it does help me stay on the BOF nicely. I do not stay on the BOF nearly as well without the HW. On my leathers I use the cables when more downhill focused, but I stay on the BOF pretty well with or without the cable. If you can stay on the BOF with just cables perhaps that may be best for you. I personally believe a Ski as wide as the Kom would benefit from a riser. I think that would be more important in a region that gets a deep snowpack. Those places should have a longer spring season on consolidated bases. It can be pretty hard in the morning.
Good stuff Bob- thank you!
And- at least historically- I do get a deep snow pack- there is typically 2 metres of dense base by late winter.
And- it would make sense to be able to fully enjoy the Kom even when the snow is not ideally fresh and soft.
The hardwire clearly offers a wider spectrum than the 3-pin cable...
As for needing more power than a T 4, I guess that depends on your skiing style. When I alpine skied, I skied some pretty steep challenging terrain. I preferred a pretty soft Raichle Flexon boot. For where I ski, a T-4 is plenty, if I was planning on skiing western or eastern resorts I would probably try out a T-2. A higher cuff might help power the inside ski, but would that be a factor for a 162 cm ski? For me it wouldn't be, but it certainly could be for others.
It isn't for me either- and the T4 is the most boot I want for my local "mountains". It is as far as I am willing to compromise XC flex and range of motion to cover some significant distance to reach truly special remote downhill runs.
I also got a chuckle that you are thinking about mounting this ski NN. Had it been mounted NN with the bindings rather than NNN I might have been real interested. I am really glad you bought it, I can't wait for the review!
Do you mean you thought I might consider NNN for the Kom? Whoa- haven't really ever considered this for a ski as burly as the Kom...
Johnny- in my view- has taken the downhill limits of BC-XC NNN farther than anyone I know of...
And although he has proven that a ski as light and responsive as the Objective can be skied with NNNBC and a XC "shoe"- it would personally be a VERY difficult decision to put NNNBC on the Objective.

If I was only ever going to use the Objective in IDEAL snow- then I wouldn't hesitate to put NNNBC on it- my Annums mounted to NNNBC have already proven that to me.

BUT- this "Chinese Hoax" is increasingly producing weather extremes where- although I can still rely on lots of snow- I can no longer rely on long, extended very cold weather and snow. The other day it was 18C at dusk, and -12C at dawn!!!! Last winter I regularly had -20C one day, and 5C the next!

My cashflow to support all of this is actually quite limited- I can certainly justify a powder distance oriented ski in my local terrain- but at this point, I can't justify a powder only downhill ski- I want to be able to enjoy my local mountains even in difficult snow. This is the reason for finally replacing my old Guides- that ski really sucks when the snow is not IDEAL- it is very narrowly a soft, fresh snow ski.

The Kom is a MUCH more substantial ski- holding an edge with that ski on difficult snow and steep slopes- with only a XC "shoe"- is beyond my skill level methinks...
Last edited by lilcliffy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 pm

You better get them mounted, LC! Here comes your first big opportunity it looks like to let 'em rip!
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 6.31.15 PM.png

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am

We got a good 30cm of fluffy soft stuff!

Not enough to shred around here though- been sticking to fields and trails until we get some more snow.

More snow coming tomorrow and the end of the week!

(Still haven't mounted the Koms)

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Lo-Fi wrote: As to which binding to choose, I received the skis with the Altai 3-pin cable (like the Voile), which seem to be versatile and a good value. However, for my skiing, I didn’t like just the three pins for such a substantial ski and I found the spring cable, even at minimal tension, limited heel-lift for touring too much.

I am skiing them now with the original Voile non-3-pin Hardwires at minimum tension:

Super easy to get in and out of, enough range of motion for kick and glide(aka shuffling) and good support for turning.
Hey Lo-Fi-
Do you tighten up the cables when downhill skiing or leave them loose?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Just made a decision:
kom-01.jpg
+
3pin hard-01.jpg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with this.

HURRY UP and mount before you lose this sweet snow!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm afraid I'm waitin for the bindings now...

Not that I don't have plenty else to go out and play on!

STILL snowing here in the hills- there is almost 50cm of fresh stuff out there!!!!!!!!! :!: :D :shock: :D

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:14 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Hey Lo-Fi-
Do you tighten up the cables when downhill skiing or leave them loose?
Sorry, I missed this question from a while ago. I run the bindings at the same tension for travel or turns. I keep the hardwires at an almost minimal tension. It does resist some heel lift for touring, but maybe because of my Nordic experience I like that ball of the foot smear feeling, for shuffling and climbing. I generally won’t even use the free pivot on the switchbacks on my Guides. The hardwires, even at that loose setting work just fine for downhill turning. On top of that, it’s really cool to not have to fiddle with them at all - no climbing to turning transitions!

I think the 3pin hardwires will be great for the Koms. I look forward to your journal entries on your Kom experiences.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:43 am

Can anyone please post pictures of the rocker profile, skis base to base.
Both unweighted and tied together in the center with a ski strap.
thanks,