Altai Kom skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Altai Kom skis

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Nice Woods, that type ski and a boot like the T4 is where the future is for those more interested in the d in xcd.

How do you think your s98 or another ski would have done on that?

When the snow is good down low I usually stay down low.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 pm

lowangle al wrote:
How do you think your s98 or another ski would have done on that?
Great question. I'm struggling a bit with my 189cm 98's to be honest. They are a great ski but we're not having the conversation I want to be having with them right now, so my perspective may be a little biased. I suspect it's the fact that I'm 30lbs below recommended weight for them.

If I was in my Antarctics I would have been having a miserable day.
If I was in my T4's it would have been more manageable.
If I was on my 179cm Boundless Wax (old pre-98 model with a softer alpine flex) and in my T4's I would have been ok and had fun.

However, the width and rocker of the KOM makes these much better suited in all respects to the above combinations and I had the MOST fun with KOM and T4. I still had to wrestle them up top and the width combined with light weight and scales made edging somewhat interesting but the stability was well worth it.

The biggest challenge was the difference in snow quality-- I would speed up on the crust-transitioning-to-corn and slow down on the fine-dry snow that was warming up. One turn could mean two to three rapid speed changes. You see me stumble once or twice as I fought this.

The KOMs are wicked fun and super turny. My first first day was a few short turns in some highly degraded spring corn snow (see Pictures thread) and I was amazed at how tight they turned at low speed.

Highly recommended for straight up and down XCD. I'd write a real review but I need some experience on them.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Looking smooth! Is that track from a mining operation? It makes for a cool ski run. I am really looking forward to your review. I also look forward to your contrasting them with your Boundless. I have not said how cool you area is. I have only been to the Green Mts. I was able to see Mt. Washington tower over everything on the horizon.
Keep posting, snow is long gone here. Skis are storage waxed up. Nice to still see skiing

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

fisheater wrote: Keep posting, snow is long gone here. Skis are storage waxed up. Nice to still see skiing
The best part of ski season here is just getting started!

THE COG: http://www.thecog.com/

Here's the Waumbek Tank at 3800, the summit behind at 6288. You can trace the line of the railway up out of treeline.
20170330_161031.jpeg

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:12 pm

Woodserson wrote:

Sweet shot! I can't help being envious of the blue sky, the spring snow, the terrain and the turns.

More importantly, I'd like to have your buddy live-narrating every moment of my life for me!

Keep the videos and reports coming.

Cheers

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:39 pm

The Cog is on my todo list.

Those Koms look like a lot of fun. They might get on my todo list too.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:32 am

I just skied this old ski jump landing zone yesterday. (Video best on big screen and volume on for commentary) The skis were great, very impressive with their stability. The snow was thick, wet, stuff and I was really worried about stuffing a tip since I wanted to stay forward on the way down, but that giant tip and huge rocker kept them up the whole way down! I was impressed with the KOMs in this environment.

I was certainly cowed a bit by the steepness of the landing zone, I took it easy. Also, I had a point when I thought the thing might slide (unconsolidated snow on top of icey crust) which flashed across my mind on the second big turn when I kind of stop. I'm really looking forward to getting these skis dialed in addition to upping my tele-game so I can start charging hard like Lo-Fi!

The climb-up was really nice, they just CHARGED up the hill, clawing their way up the woods on the right-side where it was less steep. That big tip is awesome.

If you are on the fence about this ski and think it would fit in your quiver, do it. I'm 160lbs and happy on the 162s. Nils (ski designer) is 185lbs and favors the 162s as well, but I think above that a 174 may be in consideration... email Altai they are great with response.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:08 am

Awesome stuff Woods! Very much enjoying reading-viewing your spring skiing on the Koms.

Spring skiing is in full swing up here in the hills as well- the conditions have been absolutely amazing- both weather and snow (we keep getting plenty of fresh stuff on top of deep, hard, dense, consolidated refrozen snow).

Your telemarks are looking very good to me.

Sorry if I missed this- what binding did you put on the Kom?

What about Alpine turns with the T4-Kom (i.e. Christies, parallels)? Looking at that steep run in your most recent video- I wonder if that boot is enough to throw in some Alpine and hybrid turns, mixed with the telemark?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sorry if I missed this- what binding did you put on the Kom?

What about Alpine turns with the T4-Kom (i.e. Christies, parallels)? Looking at that steep run in your most recent video- I wonder if that boot is enough to throw in some Alpine and hybrid turns, mixed with the telemark?
Voile Traverse binding-- the 3pin/cable with a 10mm riser.

I would say yes, it's enough boot. Nils, IIRC, skis them with T4s and mostly parallels his with them with a little telemark thrown in. These skis are very polyvalente, if you will. I am very impressed so far. They are addictive.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:13 am

Well, I already have the same boot...

I think I might have to have the Kom...

At this point- how would you compare the Kom to the Vector?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.