Madshus Panorama 68 mounting

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Madshus Panorama 68 mounting

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:11 am

I just picked up some M68s and plan to mount them with Voile HW toe pieces without the risers. First, did anyone ever mount a HW toe piece directly to the ski and have an issue? Second, did you mount these with the pins on the recommended line?

I got these in the 182 length, I weigh 185 lbs. Anyone with experience with the ski think I should have gotten the 192?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Madshus Panorama 68 mounting

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:02 pm

Assuming that the current M68 is the same ski as the old Madshus/Karhu Epoch/XCD 10th Mtn-

It has a very soft, round flex-

You and I are of a similar weight- I find this ski unstable in deep snow- even at 195cm.
If you are not using it in deep snow- it is sublime.

I have mounted this ski at the recommended pin line- directly on the ski without a riser- no issues.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:15 pm

My experience is with the old karhu 10th mtn 195s. Cliffy's observations match mine regarding this ski. I also mounted 3pins directly to the ski without risers and on the marked pin line on the skis. No problems or complaints with this setup.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:04 pm

Thanks for the responses. I got them mounted yesterday. I did use an ancient low riser from an old pair of skis so I wouldn’t have to cut the screws down.

They are very light with that smooth soft flex you guys mentioned. They will be my no wax trail ski to use with my Fischer transnordics. I look forward to using them.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:12 pm

I took the skis out on their maiden voyage yesterday. The conditions went to crap, the trails were covered with windblown hard packed snow. Luckily a snowmobile had passed through softening it up a bit. I started out with my Fischer Transnordics. While it was enough boot for the ski, it wasn't enough boot for the conditions for my liking. I covered 4.5 miles, climbed 650' and averaged 3.5 mph. I was able to do long radius turns while staying within the snowmachine track but for anything off trail the boots didn't cut it.

I switched to my T4s and went back out, skiing the same route I had skied earlier. I appreciated the extra stability from the T4s and was happy with how they paired with the ski and conditions. I skied a little extra, covering 5.75 miles, climbing 850' and again averaged exactly 3.5 mph.

I would say the ski is a great example of a true XCD ski. It's side cut and soft flex make it a good turner, yet it still retains enough camber under foot to give better glide than a ski with alpine camber. I don't think it will be that much faster than my Voile Hyper vectors though, probably due to not having as good of a kick, but the narrow waist makes for more comfortable touring. They don't climb as well as the Voiles and if I were skiing the same meadows that I do now, I would probably want skins or have to do a lot more herring bone and sidestepping.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:33 pm

@lowangle al, are you happy with the 182 length or would you have preferred the 192?

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 am

Hi Stephen, I haven't been on those skis since that day so I don't have much experience on them. For the icy conditions that day they were long enough. I will be using them next month, hopefully in good conditions, so I will know more then. My gut feeling is that they will be long enough. I'm more of a tour for turns guy then a long distance speed oriented skier.