NYS ski trail maps

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: NYS ski trail maps

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:03 pm

MikeK wrote:]
PS Woodserson, what is your choice of ski for Adirondacks touring? Just out of curiosity from your other post.
I never XC toured in the ADKs, I was AT at the time. Now, with way things that they are and me on the XC scene, I would be hard pressed to not bring my Madshus woodies, because they are so smooth and wonderful. They are somewhere around 67-58-61, 210cm. So what kind of equivalent? I guess the E99's come pretty close! This would be for Jackrabbit trail style touring, lowland, valley floors, wetlands, etc. Anything else with more up and down would be a different ski, I think, like my S-78s.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:23 am

The Jackrabbit is hillier than you might think. I've never skied the woodies but I'd probably prefer the S-78 for that trail.

You'd do well with those skis I think. I'm wondering how well you might be able to handle some of the more technical terrain with a long, wooden ski - at one time people did, but maybe they would have skied a shorter ski for the stuff I'm thinking of.

I think that sometimes people underestimate how challenging that stuff can be despite not having the vertical and steepness of some other stuff. I find it much easier to ski more grade over smoother terrain than vice-versa. But if you have 4' of base, sometimes that isn't an issue.

At any rate I find it nice to have a short, fat pair of ski, even if I'm not purely just climbing and descending.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:53 pm

I've hiked most of the two out of three primary segments of the Jackrabbit, end-to-end, and am familiar with the terrain-- Saranac Lake to Lake Placid, and Lake Placid to Keene, minus the Lake Placid to neighborhood stuff. Never walked Paul Smiths to Saranac, did most of my canoeing there instead. I think the woodies should be fine with nice snow conditions, and if I'm wrong and it's an icy bobsled tunnel of doom, I can always go back to the car and get the S78's! Probably not this winter though, seeing how scheduling is beginning to turn out, but oh wells...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm sure you could make it with your woodies but the section from Saranac to LP is almost all climbing or descending. For me it's more fun with a XCD type ski - but I really don't know much about woodies. Depends on the snow and how much traffic it's had - could be slow and deep, or hard and fast...