NNN-BC on Sherburne Ski Trail?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
BigJohnS

NNN-BC on Sherburne Ski Trail?

Post by BigJohnS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:39 am

Has anyone ever skied the Sherburne on Mt. Washington with NNN-BC bindings or some other lightweight xcd setup? I'm thinking about doing it on my old alpine skis mounted with magnums and Fischer bcx transnordic boots buy I'm not sure if it's a bad idea. I've skied the trail a few times before on alpine skis and I remember it being pretty mellow except for a few pitches but I'm most worried about ice patches and bumps. It's difficulty is often compared to a blue run, which I've skied on this setup, but that was on mostly groomed trails. Does anybody have advice on this? Is it a terrible idea?

Spiny Norman

Re: NNN-BC on Sherburne Ski Trail?

Post by Spiny Norman » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:37 pm

Well 20-25 years ago when i could get down Angel St at Loon in style on my nnn-bc setup I'd give it a go. Now the thought makes me a touch queasy. What are the current conditions on the Sherb?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:25 pm

Totally possible. How often do you ski downhill on BC? If this is your first time then... You reap what you sow. (I see you have experience... Just rhetorically)

I'd leave the alpine ski alone and mount a more appropriate ski that will be easier to maneuver with the binding and the boot. Something short and light.

Cannatonic has done it on 75mm no cable, IIRC.

It's barely a blue square trail, it's just natural snow and ungroomed.

Also it doesn't have to look pretty

mattaboy
Ski style: On Piste downhill, learning to AT
Favorite Skis: Atomic RT80
Favorite boots: Crispi XP

Post by mattaboy » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:59 pm

BigJohn, I’m planning on doing something similar!
Last weekend things were looking a bit firm, but once it softens up a bit it should be great! The moguls in the bottom half might be interesting, but that’s why you’d do it in xcd gear anyway. There were easier lanes available when I was there last, so I’m sure they’re skippable if it’s a rough day.

The trail gets a lot of traffic, so it’s probably best to get there quickly when conditions are favourable.

Let us know how it goes!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:45 pm

I survived it back in the eighties before I knew how to ski, on dbl camber skis and three pins

BigJohnS

Post by BigJohnS » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:23 am

So I did end up going for it a couple weekends ago. Conditions were the best I've seen on the Sherburne with some pretty soft snow higher up transitioning to spring corn snow lower down. There were some harder areas where there was shade where it was a little challenging to get an edge in the soft boots, but it wasn't too bad. My set up of K2 Four Rs mounted with Rottefella Magnum bindings and Fischer Transordic boots worked pretty well. The climb up was a breeze with the light weight set up and ascension climbing skins which offered excellent grip. I was a little worried about the steepness of certain parts of the Tuckerman Ravine trail without climbing risers, but it ended up being fine. The descent was definitely more challenging than on alpine gear but it made it more interesting so I took it slow and enjoyed the views as it was a nice clear day.
On a side note, what kind of thought process do you have to go through to think it's a good idea to sled down a heavily trafficked backcountry ski trail feet first with crampons on? Partway down the trail while stopped I looked up to see this group of clowns barreling downhill, obviously out of control, with crampon spikes pointed towards any skiers below them. I later heard them on the porch at Pinkham Notch joking about how many skiers they almost hit.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:46 am

Good to see you hit the Sherby on light gear, yes I"ve done it a few times on simple 3 pin ST. There's only a couple of steep areas on Sherbourne that get bumped up to present trouble

Have not checked in here all winter! Been a terrible year here locally for skiing, only a few good days.

btw it looks like Granite Backcountry Alliance is doing some great stuff, new gladed area off West Side road in Bartlett. Somebody told me they have permission to begin cutting some gladed areas around the Sherby/Tuck. Ravine trail as well??
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:04 pm

Nice job! Way to catch the right day, which often feels like 90% of the battle.
BigJohnS wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:23 am
On a side note, what kind of thought process do you have to go through to think it's a good idea to sled down a heavily trafficked backcountry ski trail feet first with crampons on? Partway down the trail while stopped I looked up to see this group of clowns barreling downhill, obviously out of control, with crampon spikes pointed towards any skiers below them. I later heard them on the porch at Pinkham Notch joking about how many skiers they almost hit.
This tends to be self-correcting behavior. One of the surest ways to get a permanent head injury in the mountains is glissading. Adding crampons to the mix reduces the chance of head injury because you'll break a tib-fib first, with the bonus if it usually being angulated and open.