Glittertind on risers ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Glittertind on risers ?

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 am

Hey, this is a question for CIMA and LoveJohnny and anybody else that uses skinny skis...

I sometimes use my Glittertind at the resort... A couple of times, I noticed that too much leaning and angulation makes the ski slip sideways...

Probably 2 reasons for this:
—the binding, a Voile 3 pin, «overflows» the width of the ski (which is a narrow 55 mm);
—the edge angle is too straight (like 90 degree side edge angle).

I thinks it is probably the binding «wings» that are too wide.

Have you tried mounting a riser (like G3 12 mm) to a skinny ski? How does it tour?

Thanks!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

MikeK

Re: Glittertind on risers ?

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:08 am

CIMA doesn't use pins that I know of... but Johnny did mention using risers on skinnies to keep the plates from catching on steep terrain... can't remember what thread.

Shouldn't affect the touring too bad except that every time you roll your ankle slightly the ski will want to edge more - a wider ski would be more stable in that respect.

gfwp

Post by gfwp » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 am

I'm using E99 (allmost same size as Glittertinds) with 3-pincable and the rottefella 10mm riser.

No problem at all on resort, even on black alpine dwh. On "pure black ice" I'd wish E109, and maybe
(feel free to be horrified) a locked heel.

regards

P.S: I wouldn't never mount a pin binding without a riser. You need it also for better gliding in the tram track,
and avoid side rubbing.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:27 pm

I am on the SNS system bindings always and have never come to think of the necessity for the riser.
For those who are on skinny skis, too much angulation would let them fall easily. :-)
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:17 am

Hey Rod,

I do have risers on my Glittertinds... But just because I knew I would use them on the groomers. They tour as good as they would without it.

I have risers on all the XCD skis that I also use at the resort, to prevent lifting on the steeps. But I would never mount risers on skis I use in the woods only. Have you ever held a pack of V-Risers in your hands? I know it sounds silly, but boy, they are SO heavy!!!

But yeah, I really try to avoid risers if I can. Just like making love, I like to be as close as possible... I always try to have the most direct relationship with my love, the snow... (Hence the cableless bindings and the buckleless leathers... ; )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."