I might have some issues

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: I might have some issues

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:17 pm

I wouldn't be using the Eon or the E109 on hard, dense, and/or wind-packed snow (I agree with you- the E89/E99 are the backcountry skis for that context. Don't really need the extra float or stability of the E99- so leaning towards the E89).

In my neck of the woods, the most common backcountry skiing snow condition (over the years) is fresh snow (up to 30cm) over a dense, stable base. This is the context that I am looking at the Eon versus the E109. The terrain is gentle to moderate, and I am very comfortable on traditional xcountry lengths- therefore would be looking at the Eon or the E109 in a 205cm (longest length they come in). I tried the E109 last winter in a 190cm- I definitely want the 205cm. (I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs)

I already have skis for xcountry skiing in deep, soft powder (195cm NNNBC Annums). This winter we have had so much deep, soft powder that I have used my NNNBC Annums more than any other ski.

The Eon is my everyday, jack-of-all-trades backcountry xcountry ski- skiing on fresh snow, over a stable base. My current pair are waxless, 205cm. Since I broke my old Karhus- I do not have a soft, single-cambered, mid-width, waxable ski. And like you guys describe above- I greatly miss my waxable backcountry skis.

I thought that I had already seen the E109-easy skin available this year? Anyway- I am in no rush! Most everything is sold out this season. Keeping my eyes on a set of 205cm waxable Eons- waiting for the price to drop!

I am leaning towards the E109 (despite the extra cash!) as a xcountry ski. My Eons are excellent XCD skis- with decent touring/downhill performance. But as a xcountry ski, I often find myself wishing the Eon had more snap to the flex. The Eons are soft. I expect the stiffer E109 to be a better xcountry ski. I expect the Eon to be a better downhill ski (at least at the length that I want for XCD touring).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Go ahead, try them out and review them! I only saw online reviews of a pair with silveratta bindings, I'd be curious about the pin combo. I'd go for the ASNES as they have a wood core instead of the cheaper urethane fluff. Asnes is also my fetish brand. They actually still make a combat ski, a little wider nowadays i think but much more expensive!:

http://www.asnes.com/produkt/combat-nato/

The civil version has camo to make it look like any other BC ski:

http://www.asnes.com/produkt/ingstad/

By they way, if you are to order a pair of the Asnes combat skis, I think you are in Canada, maybe I would be interested in tagging along on the order, just for fun!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 am

I will let you know if I order the Asnes combat skis from Coleman's Surplus.

Do you know of any Canadian retailers that sell Asnes skis?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 am

My take is that you do not need a double-camber in the backcountry... And the Fischer and Rossi's are way too stiff cambered. I would go Madshus. I have a pair of Glitter that does it all... Easy to turn, relatively good flotation, lightweight...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:57 am

But Rod... the Glittertind is DOUBLE CAMBERED!

I also respectfully disagree... double camber is absolutely awesome in the backcountry in the right conditions. For me, those conditions are hard, or low depth snow and terrain where you aren't going to be going a million miles an hour down a hill i.e. shorter drops no matter how steep or mellower angles if the elevation change is great. Beyond that they are a PITA.

All that said I'll still assert that a soft, double camber ski is an absolute blast in a couple feet of soft, dry powder... well going down that is... breaking trail through it's miserable... but it's sluggishness and willingness to sink is what makes it manageable down hills IMO.

The stiffer double camber skis should be reserved for machine groomed tracks in most cases.

I wouldn't really call the E89 or the like 'stiff' compared to a track ski - but for a BC ski, they are. In hard packed conditions or broken trail in mellow terrain they are nice...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:29 am

Mike, you definitely have a problem. Sell me your S-Bounds. 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:52 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Sell me your S-Bounds. 8-)
Hahahahaha - that's the funniest thing you've ever posted!

I like you a lot Johnny - but no - get your own!

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Do you know of any Canadian retailers that sell Asnes skis?
Norseman Ski Shop in Calgary

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:40 pm

LooseHeels wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:Do you know of any Canadian retailers that sell Asnes skis?
Norseman Ski Shop in Calgary
PS: Norseman sells the new Asnes ski line. I doubt they have those older real cheap combat skis you have been linking to here.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Been lurking for a while, but decided to join to respond to this. I bought 2 pairs of the Asnes surplus skis (190 + 200 cm) from that site and put some NNN-BC Magnums on them and used them with Fischer BCX 6 boots.

The results were ... interesting. I found them too heavy for climbing in deep snow as well as anything beyond "survival" turning on downhills. Then again, I'm not much of a telemarker. They were decent for just straight ahead kick + glide. Still on the heavy side though. Oh and they are super cool looking imo.

Maybe they would be better with beefier bindings, though I still haven't tried.

I ended up getting a pair of Eons and am much happier with them for my purposes, which is mainly touring rolling backcountry terrain.

There's a (mostly dormant) discussion about them here:
http://www.xcskiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4372

(not sure if it's good manners to link to another forum on a first post, but I've found this site to be very useful and intend to contribute more... :) )

edit: here's my comment from that thread, for those who don't feel like digging through:
I had a chance to try these out and there were things I liked about them, and things I didn't like. For context, I was using them in rolling terrain, going over lakes + swamps as well as climbing and descending in wooded areas.

I liked:
- They're quite stable (and fast) on downhills
- Good glide, mostly due to the length (200 cm)

I didn't like:
- Too heavy (IMO) for use with NNN-BC bindings, especially when turning. I used them with Fischer BCX 6 boots.
- Climbing in deep snow was quite tricky due to the length + weight.

Overall I'm glad I bought them, but I'm going to put a heftier set of bindings on them for better control at some point in the future. Probably 3-pin.

For reference, they weigh 3.68 kg with NNN-BC magnum bindings, or 3.16 kg without.