Xplore on Ice?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Xplore on Ice?

Post by Stephen » Sat May 13, 2023 2:11 pm

@lowangle al, step back from the edge…
Let it go, not worth it.
Go out and look at what a beautiful day it is.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon May 15, 2023 8:46 pm

Eastern Ian wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:08 pm
My Question is, how much edge control does this system enable? Would I be in trouble if I came across an Icy section of trail. I'm also a bit concerned about hiking in them and how that will effect the Pin mechanism.
There is a lot to say about Xplore, but honestly, I would say that edge control is THE main characteristic of the system. That's the core of the system, the main feature. All the rest is just bonus. 8-)

FWIW, I gave the Alaska XP a perfect 10/10 note for hiking... Just saying... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

satanas

Post by satanas » Sun May 21, 2023 11:42 am

I don't come here often, and just read through this thread hoping to learn something about the relative edge-holding power of Xplore (and specifically the Alfa Free) on ice, but didn't. Instead what I got was a bunch of relentless negativity from @Manney, whom I hadn't encountered before. If I was a moderator here I'd give them a warning about their attitude, then ban them if they didn't up their game. Everyone else seemed to be trying to be helpful, and nobody else resorted to ad hominem attacks...

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Sun May 21, 2023 7:16 pm

ICYMI @satanas

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =70#p61047

On occasion, civility can and should be breached in order to honor truth.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =80#p60926
Go Ski

Eastern Ian

Post by Eastern Ian » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:14 pm

UPDATE: I bought the Xplore with the Alpha Free boots, I finally used them with 85mm it was at a resort and a very moderate run. They of Course didn't hold an edge like my Crispi Evos, but definitely better than my 75mm leather boots. They held up plenty well for Tele turns on Eastern Hardpack with 85mm waist skis. Not sure I'll be taking them down Tuckrmans, but I'll definitely use them for mellower tours (almost any other tour is mellower) and XCD. It seems that an external cuff (or thin internal cuff) would make this setup epic. I may do a bit of tinkering to see if I can fashion something.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:33 pm

"They held up plenty well for Tele turns on Eastern Hardpack with 85mm waist skis."

Just curious; what 85mm skis were you on?

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:21 pm

Manney wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 5:18 pm
Last year was pretty wet at times. Started like the January patch this year.
Though the main participants are all now banned, seeing this thread resurrected I have to contest this statement. Unless he is referring to wet in November and/or April. Most of Dec, the entirety of Jan and Feb, and the very beginning Mar, 2021/2022 saw barely any days above 32F. Unless by "wet" he meant frozen form of water crystals, i.e. "snow."

Even then it wasn't really above average. It was the best season of 4 I have had living where I now do, because it rarely got above blue extra for 10 straight weeks, maybe 2 or 3 days tops, and had a replenish of light new snow every now and then.

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:12 pm

mca80 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:21 pm
Manney wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 5:18 pm
Last year was pretty wet at times. Started like the January patch this year.
Though the main participants are all now banned, seeing this thread resurrected I have to contest this statement. Unless he is referring to wet in November and/or April. Most of Dec, the entirety of Jan and Feb, and the very beginning Mar, 2021/2022 saw barely any days above 32F. Unless by "wet" he meant frozen form of water crystals, i.e. "snow."

Even then it wasn't really above average. It was the best season of 4 I have had living where I now do, because it rarely got above blue extra for 10 straight weeks, maybe 2 or 3 days tops, and had a replenish of light new snow every now and then.
You can contest the stats, but they show that winter 2022-23 actually had slightly below average snowfall.
IMG_1632.jpeg
Also go back to the Duluth thread. A few people noted the February melt that screwed up snow conditions… even here in the UP.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... lit=Duluth

The lesson is not to rely on memories of past seasons. Accurate data and current observations are available.
Go Ski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 pm

We are all going to die of climate change so be happy donating 50 percent of your personal efforts to taxes, sell your property to Bill Gates, and enjoy the legal weed

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:04 pm

Idk about that… but the skiing might suck ass (as it is this season).
Go Ski