Manney, and similar…

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Manney, and similar…

Post by Stephen » Thu May 11, 2023 4:26 pm

Sorry, but this is getting to be more than I can handle.
I’m not gunning to be forum moderator, don’t want to be the thought police, but lately the happiness quotient on Telemark Talk is just plummeting, and I’m afraid it’s turning some people away.
Have you noticed the absence of some familiar voices of long-time members?

I’m suggesting the following, below.
If anyone thinks I’m out of line, please let me know.

I’m suggesting that we please not react or respond to Manney’s posts.
(That is, unless they are actually relevant and civil, and made with honorable intention.)
It seems to feed him, and perpetuates a useless and distracting back and forth.
Manney has a choice in how he participates; so far, it seems to mostly antagonize and agitate, without much, if any, actual contribution.

Just a thought.
Thanks

(@Manney, this is not about you, as a person. It’s about your behavior on this forum. That’s not a cheap cliche, I truly mean that.)

Seems like this is Manney’s behavior — if you’re interested, check out the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

spopepro

Re: Manney, and similar…

Post by spopepro » Thu May 11, 2023 4:34 pm

General reminder that you can click on a name and “add foe” and you won’t see their posts. Obviously quotations will still carry though, and you have to browse logged in.

Also this is peak summer content and it’s only May. There’s still skiing out there! Go get it!

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Thu May 11, 2023 4:46 pm

spopepro wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:34 pm
Also this is peak summer content and it’s only May. There’s still skiing out there! Go get it!
Sure! We’re all at peak fitness and skill coming out of winter. What a great suggestion @spopepro.

Impossible to be unhappy or angry when skiing…
Go Ski

Yonderville

Post by Yonderville » Fri May 12, 2023 8:57 am

We all know in one way or another how important forums like this are to telemark skiing.

There is a devoted following in telemark , but it's small, spread out, and doesn't have a singular driving force. We don't have big working magazines or telemark stars. There are a few leading voices, but their influence only goes so far. Telemark gear isn't even in many skis shops, and the ones that do carry it often don't prioritize it in any way (makes sense, it's not the money maker). But things might be better this way - less BS in the subculture, less culture of cool, more rugged individualism.

So if we have questions, issues, want to spread stoke, it often has to happen here or places like it.

Walking into a ski shop with a telemark mount or question sometimes gets a good answer, more often doesn't, and sometimes even results in muted shit-talking and scorn from the shop guys. We need this place because without, the former is all we have, and that ain't great. Try asking a floor employee at Public Lands about Xplore or Meidjo.

We need the forums and it sure helps when the discussion is civil and helpful. I owe the forums much, and want to see them continue on in a good way.

Yonderville

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri May 12, 2023 10:11 am

Unfortunately if we don't react to Manney he'll dominate the forum with bad info. Anyone with experience knows what's crap and what's not, but a newbe may not know the difference. What kind of forum would we have then? Besides that, when he starts with his direct insults and accusations I can't let it slide. So it doesn't matter if we react or not, either way he's ruining the forum. It's no coincidence that the only time this place goes to shit is when he shows up.

Manney

Post by Manney » Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 am

It goes to shit for ppl who get called out on bs… or for ppl who expect forums to be echo chambers for their particular brand of crazy. We’re only talking about 3-4 ppl here… against a large membership.

Maybe the loss is personal for you? Lost Yer soapbox. Like Tucker without Fox… the Clintons without Gates. The crazies and greedy always complain the most when someone questions their pov. Everyone else carrys on.

Either way… forum hasn’t changed. Still here. Even tho snow mostly gone. If anything would kill a ski forum, you’d think a lack of snow would. Has never stopped you before, has it?

Here’s how sensible discussion online looks:

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... ot-tension

Nobody tellin others what to do, lots of splainin, sharin ideas, no ego bs, just ski talk.
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri May 12, 2023 10:37 am

Haven't seen anyone voice support for your horseshit manney. Start your very own ski forum. This one functions MUCH better without you trying to mold it into something that suits your sensibilities. Who are you to force your view on a long-established community that clearly is not interested in your kool-aid? Are you ski-jesus?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 am

Manney wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 am
It goes to shit for ppl who get called out on bs… or for ppl who expect forums to be echo chambers for their particular brand of crazy. We’re only talking about 3-4 ppl here… against a large membership.

Maybe the loss is personal for you? Lost Yer soapbox. Like Tucker without Fox… the Clintons without Gates. The crazies and greedy always complain the most when someone questions their pov. Everyone else carrys on.

Either way… forum hasn’t changed. Still here. Even tho snow mostly gone. If anything would kill a ski forum, you’d think a lack of snow would. Has never stopped you before, has it?

Nobody tellin others what to do, lots of splainin, sharin ideas, no ego bs, just ski talk.
Manny you won't last long over there either without stirring things up. You were called out yesterday for posting irrelevant shit.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri May 12, 2023 11:00 am

connyro wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:37 am
Haven't seen anyone voice support for your horseshit manney. Start your very own ski forum. This one functions MUCH better without you trying to mold it into something that suits your sensibilities. Who are you to force your view on a long-established community that clearly is not interested in your kool-aid? Are you ski-jesus?
Good post. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Manney

Post by Manney » Fri May 12, 2023 11:26 am

lowangle al wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 am
Manney wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 am

Manny you won't last long over there either without stirring things up. You were called out yesterday for posting irrelevant shit.
Keep reading. Explained why it was relevant. Then others piled on and agreed.

Why would anyone start their own forum if they weren’t interested in pushing their pov?

Would only stir the pot if you or Al started posting bs there. Wouldn’t get the chance to pile on… others would. More serious level of discussion, less ego there. Prolly because you and Al don’t post there much.

Good try tho. You and Al are thinkin hard about shit today, aren’t you? LOL. Snort.
Go Ski